Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:28 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
If I purchase a Board Room membership online today, will I get something I can print out to show in AA lounges next week?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by cblaisd
If I purchase a Board Room membership online today, will I get something I can print out to show in AA lounges next week?
I always used the digital Alaska Lounge card in my Alaska app to utilize Lounge access in AAdmirals Clubs. And I believe that will show up right away if you purchase a membership. For Alaska clubs, The fingerprint machine is the go to tech
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by sturges

bump. Have another flight tomorrow that is still showing as MVP and I can’t waitlist my companion.

I’m getting ready to cancel all of my upcoming flights and rebook them.
been a long time since I dealt with this but iirc the trick is to call and have them “please remove my alaska mileage plan number from my reservation” Tell them you haven’t decided where your going to credit the flights. You can then go back in and re add the number online and the status will update as long as your Gold status is approximately a week or more aged.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
Happy New Year to everyone!

I tried to search the forum but didn't get anything. Can we use the Alaska Guess Pass in our account when we are not flying AS? Would have to stop by SEA later this month but I am not flying AS.

My apologies for the seemingly trivial question.

Sincerely,

PaulInTheSky
Someone may correct me but, iirc the Alaska Lounge guest passes DO NOT require same day Alaska travel.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by pinniped
Realistically-speaking, what are the chances that a base MVP gets into F on SAN-KOA? If that's a total longshot to begin with, maybe I'll just split 2x2. We won't check more than two bags total in any case...

Thanks for the info.
Great, if you pay for full F
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt

Someone may correct me but, iirc the Alaska Lounge guest passes DO NOT require same day Alaska travel.
Correct; no specific carrier required.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:11 am

You should get something to show them, a confirmation email. If this doesn't work, a quick call to AS Boardroom Administration should yield help too. Heck, your card might show up before your departure
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG
My wife was in this position and when she passed through SEA, she got a temporary card from the lounge. She used it at ORD and then used the app on the return. They are more interested in seeing your boarding pass that shows an AS or AA flight in/out of the airport. If you’re flying a connecting flight into an AA club, i.e., JNU-SEA-ORD, there will likely be a small problem because your boarding pass will only show the first flight. They’ll have to either manually override it or print you out an AA boarding pass.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
I'm booked on a Virgin America flight LAX-SFO on Friday. Due to the mudslides in Santa Barbara County, the highway is closed "until at least Thursday night" and there really is no other route available to get to Los Angeles. Is there any chance they will allow a refund for this otherwise non-refundable flight?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
I'm booked on a Virgin America flight LAX-SFO on Friday. Due to the mudslides in Santa Barbara County, the highway is closed "until at least Thursday night" and there really is no other route available to get to Los Angeles. Is there any chance they will allow a refund for this otherwise non-refundable flight?
i would call ask. I’ve had unforeseen circumstances happen and AS waived the change fees and/or placed credit in my wallet.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Alaska MVPG75
When nominating someone for MVP status, does said MVP need to still fly full 40K EQM to attain next level MVPGold?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by faithful
When nominating someone for MVP status, does said MVP need to still fly full 40K EQM to attain next level MVPGold?
Correct. Gift comes with the MVP status not the EQM to make MVP.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
I know this is an amazingly stupid question, but how does the First Class Upgrade Fare actually work? Are you put on a wait list of some sort? I've gone pretty far into the check out process for this fare and seat selection is from economy... so how does this fare actually get upgraded? It's showing "available" on my flights, and when I look on ExpertFlyer I see two seats in the U fare bucket.

Thanks... so glad this is flame free.... hee hee
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Possibly a long shot: does anyone know if Alaska does PreCheck at BWI? It doesn't seem to be on the list of airports here.

Secondary question: I have a flight out of BWI again in a few weeks -- is there any way to dodge the change fee if I want to change departure from BWI to say, DCA or IAD? I'm guessing there's no notion of "coterminal airports" like with AA? (specifically, from BWI-LAX to IAD/DCA-LAX)
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by goldengate
I know this is an amazingly stupid question, but how does the First Class Upgrade Fare actually work? Are you put on a wait list of some sort? I've gone pretty far into the check out process for this fare and seat selection is from economy... so how does this fare actually get upgraded? It's showing "available" on my flights, and when I look on ExpertFlyer I see two seats in the U fare bucket.

Thanks... so glad this is flame free.... hee hee
You have to actually purchase the flights and after that, you will then be upgraded immediately (assuming there are enough U seats available for the number of people on your booking). It doesn't happen until after you've completed your purchase as you are still technically buying coach tickets and you have to actually buy them first. But once the purchase is complete, the upgrade happens pretty much immediately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.