Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I really don't like SeaTac's N gates...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:47 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Since were are commenting on it, I don't like the N Gates either. There isn't anything interesting out there and most of the "attractions" are in the main areas. I sympathize with the OP since I'm only through every now and then. I wouldn't want to imagine a daily grind!!
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Agreed that N isn't an opulent palace of creature comforts for the traveling public. But what does your average person want in a gate area? A seat, and probably a power outlet. Some will want a place to grab a bite or beverage, and is content enough to not need a gor may experience. Others will want a spot to evacuate a prior meal without waiting in line. I certainly prefer it over the far end of D, which was really the height of clusterville.

What more would make the N experience materially better for the majority of travelers? More seats, more plugs. That's about it.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
The only thing I don't particularly like about the N gates is gate N12. Otherwise, it's just another bunch of gates to me. I've been going out there since United was my airline of choice back in the 70s and 80s and have never found the train ride out to be that big of an imposition. Having a lounge membership - first at United's Red Carpet Club and then later with Alaska's Boardroom/Lounge makes a huge difference in the quality of my visits, but then that would be true regardless of the gate location.

My least favorite gates at SeaTac are the distant A gates, mainly due to the time and distance required to access them. I do miss the old Delta Crown Room when it was located down there about 15 years ago. That was a beautiful mid-sized facility.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by dmodemd
So have you had the pleasure of using gate N12 in the cold and/or rain? (Down stairs, long cold walk, up ramp). At least it is covered now! I have enjoyed arriving after a nice first class trip to stairs climbing down into pouring cold rain late at night. Now there are all these signs in the walkway saying how great the new terminal will be, just hold on! haha

Why they put fully loaded elite-heavy 737-900s there I don't know. (I am guessing because they fit)
This - the stairs/hike/stairs issue - is the main reason I have panic attacks when I see that my flight is going into or out of the N Gates. When it happened to me it was a last-minute gate substitution coinciding with recent snow and ice in Seattle.

That would have been bad enough under normal circumstances, but I'd had recent abdominal surgery and was undergoing chemo. Without advance notice there was no way to arrange for transport assistance or a wheelchair. Nor did I have proper outer clothing or boots, since I was merely transiting Seattle and would be heading on to another destination.

When I asked about wheelchairs I was told there weren't any, the two that were present were already spoken for, "and there aren't any more, besides you can walk."

It took me nearly forever to get from the plane then across the tarmac. I was shivering, my feet were soaking wet without boots, my rollerbag was caked with solidifying salt/ice-melt. Then I discovered the 2 flights of stairs that are required for entry to the building ... ugh. Staff - guards would be a better description - were incredibly rude and unhelpful, telling me I couldn't use a lift and must use the stairs "just like everybody else." By the time I finally got upstairs and inside the gate area I collapsed into a seat, disolving into tears. It's one of the few times in my life I had a public, travel-related melt-down. I was cold, wet, miserable and in pain.

Yes, you bet I complained to SeaTac and to Alaska Air about the N Gate 12 experience. One that I hope to never repeat.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 4:04 pm

The biggest issue with N (and S) are that the traffic flow out of the train is heavily constrained by the escalators. If I just have a backpack I can walk up the stairs, but as I dislike having to haul a rollerbag up them, most of the time I end up waiting for the escalators.

If I'm walking to the end of D or A or whatever, I can just walk at my own pace. Every now and then I have to dodge a crowd that is piled up in front of an actively loading gate, but for the most part I can just walk and get to the end of the terminal in what feels much faster than I can get to the end of N or S.

So that's the problem I have with N. The train and then the escalators cause a double-bottleneck that make for a frustrating experience. If there was an underground walkway like at LHR between T5A-B-C it would at least feel like there were more options for getting in/out.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by BearX220
It takes less time to hop the train back from the North Satellite back to the main terminal than it does to hike from A14 back to the main terminal. Don't like your venue, move. I don't see what the fuss is about.
I don't think this is accurate. I flew a lot of DL back about 10 years ago when they were solely at the end of A and made many schleps out to A13/A14. I would say if you're using the moving walkways, walking at a brisk pace, it's faster because the exit to baggage claim is right by gate A6. You also don't have to make the stupid stop at the C gates which the tram makes you take, even though maybe 5% of the train ends up getting off at that stop.

I also don't really like the idea of being in an unstaffed train in a tunnel built to 1960's/1970's seismic standards. I'd feel better about the N gates if I could just walk to them rather than take the train.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by beckoa
Was going up the stairs from a flight about to board the SEA-AUS redeye from N12B or so, and got an email... flight cancelled

So yeah, that was fun.
Did you get a hotel room and meal voucher?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
..Yes, you bet I complained to SeaTac and to Alaska Air about the N Gate 12 experience. One that I hope to never repeat...
How long ago was this? I ask because a few months ago when we flew out of N12 the gate agent made an announcement asking for those who want to use the elevator to come forward at the beginning of boarding. They also asked if anyone needed a wheelchair due to the long walk out to the plane. I was wondering if maybe your feedback woke them up about helping customers who have trouble with the N12 experience.

Of course we were departing as opposed to arriving but one would hope that they would offer assistance in both directions. Last year when we arrived at N12 coming back from Hawaii I asked for someone to run us up in the elevator and they were willing to do it. I can't imagine what I would have said if they'd told me to walk up the stairs like everyone else with my carryon and a bad knee. Those stairs are steep and much harder for me to negotiate than a regular jetway or the ramps QX uses at their gates.

N12 is a disappointing end to what might have been a pleasant flight.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
I always seem to get N gates for late arrival flights. I hate it.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
How long ago was this? I ask because a few months ago when we flew out of N12 the gate agent made an announcement asking for those who want to use the elevator to come forward at the beginning of boarding. They also asked if anyone needed a wheelchair due to the long walk out to the plane. I was wondering if maybe your feedback woke them up about helping customers who have trouble with the N12 experience.

N12 is a disappointing end to what might have been a pleasant flight.

It was early February 2017, an arrival from Anchorage that had a last minute substitution at gate N12. Gates in general were a mess because of the snowfall Seattle had experienced, so nothing - nothing! - was working as it should. No advance notice of the gate substitution and inadequate preparations for its use by those of us who were not at the time fully able-bodied.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
This - the stairs/hike/stairs issue - is the main reason I have panic attacks when I see that my flight is going into or out of the N Gates. When it happened to me it was a last-minute gate substitution coinciding with recent snow and ice in Seattle.

That would have been bad enough under normal circumstances, but I'd had recent abdominal surgery and was undergoing chemo. Without advance notice there was no way to arrange for transport assistance or a wheelchair. Nor did I have proper outer clothing or boots, since I was merely transiting Seattle and would be heading on to another destination.

When I asked about wheelchairs I was told there weren't any, the two that were present were already spoken for, "and there aren't any more, besides you can walk."

It took me nearly forever to get from the plane then across the tarmac. I was shivering, my feet were soaking wet without boots, my rollerbag was caked with solidifying salt/ice-melt. Then I discovered the 2 flights of stairs that are required for entry to the building ... ugh. Staff - guards would be a better description - were incredibly rude and unhelpful, telling me I couldn't use a lift and must use the stairs "just like everybody else." By the time I finally got upstairs and inside the gate area I collapsed into a seat, disolving into tears. It's one of the few times in my life I had a public, travel-related melt-down. I was cold, wet, miserable and in pain.

Yes, you bet I complained to SeaTac and to Alaska Air about the N Gate 12 experience. One that I hope to never repeat.
I've had similar experiences with kids in toe and strollers etc. I had to lug 3 car seats and a couple of strollers up the stairs along with 3 kids. No help other than the staff laughing at us.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80
So don't go to the N terminal until just before your flight. It's easy to use the trains to go anywhere else in the airport. I've timed it and gone from The Club in South Satellite to my gate in N in 10 minutes. Or go to C gates and get a delicious ham and cheese from Beecher's then hop back on the train down at the end of the C concourse over to N for your flight.

The trick to the trains is to wait until everyone has surged on/off the train. You want to be last on so you can be first off. Easy.

Neil
The other key to the train, when arriving at N, is to use the train door farthest to the left at the N terminal stop. When you get to the main terminal, out and to the right leaves you at the very front of the horde/rush to the escalators and stairs. Saves time, every time...I always see this (the last car, relative to direction of travel) loaded with crew and pilots, who must also value the convenience (though admittedly my sample is very biased).
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by zs58
The other key to the train, when arriving at N, is to use the train door farthest to the left at the N terminal stop. When you get to the main terminal, out and to the right leaves you at the very front of the horde/rush to the escalators and stairs. Saves time, every time...I always see this (the last car, relative to direction of travel) loaded with crew and pilots, who must also value the convenience (though admittedly my sample is very biased).
When dealing with trains, always follow the crew.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: AS - MVP Gold, Bonvoy - Silver, Star Citizen - Concierge
N doesn't bother me too much specifically, however I really despise the gauntlet everyone is forced through from the train to C.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by zs58
I knew I wasn't the only one who plays that game

lately I've been parking at the Doubletree ($7/day) and walking to my car ... as I don't have a checked bag ~90% of the time, I've found it's actually faster if I get off the train at C and walk to the exit by A6 than to slog thru baggage claim (the first -- rightmost -- car works better for this as it's closer to the escalator at the C stop)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.