Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines (SQ) Redemptions - Limited Availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Airlines (SQ) Redemptions - Limited Availability

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan
I love using SIN for stopovers when traveling in Southeast Asia.
+1
SIN is an excellent connection point for SE Asia. I connect via SIN to BKK and USM. It's probably the best connection point for USM from SFO or LAX.

I'm looking forward to being able to book SQ awards through AS. I currently burn AMEX MR for KF redemptions.
wolfpacktrojan likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Also a great stopover point for South Africa. SQ flies to JNB and then onto CPT. Singapore also operates fifth-freedom flights from the US including JFK-FRA, IAH-MAN, SFO-HKG & LAX-NRT.

James
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by eethan
SIN is too remote to be of much use connecting to 95% of places in Asia.

Geographically, SIN is like MIA. By the time I get to MIA, I've flown way past the rest of the USA. MIA is great for connecting to S America though.
Similarly - by the time I get to SIN, I've blown way past the rest of Asia. I can connect to Australia from SIN though!

Since SIN is so remote, I don't see many uses for miles award with a SIN stopover.

The Western media likes to glamourize Singapore - case in point - the movie Crazy rich asians. Most Asia-hands just consider it a tiny backwater location that became ultramodern.
I’m not sure “remote” is the correct term for Singapore, which is within an hour flying time to countries with large populations (such as Indonesia and Malaysia). Singapore is a fantastic connection point for any number of locations - just not as much for the US.

And a “backwater”? Maybe it was a backwater 40-50 years ago but I can’t imagine how one could use that term now given Singapore’s global economic position.

IMO the biggest issue with Singapore awards with mileage plan will be the lack of availability. Singapore Airlines is notoriously tight-fisted with partner award space.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Bretmd
IMO the biggest issue with Singapore awards with mileage plan will be the lack of availability. Singapore Airlines is notoriously tight-fisted with partner award space.
Yeah, I wouldn't get excited about redemptions. I suspect that when redemptions become technically feasible, the award availability for MP members will not be materially different than it is today.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Bretmd
For long-haul J sure, but SQ is pretty good about releasing intra-Asia awards. SQ is already a nice option for those flights, and will become increasingly attractive as they upgrade their fleet with the 787-10 and regional 359s, both of which have the new regional lie-flat seat.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Kacee
For long-haul J sure, but SQ is pretty good about releasing intra-Asia awards. SQ is already a nice option for those flights, and will become increasingly attractive as they upgrade their fleet with the 787-10 and regional 359s, both of which have the new regional lie-flat seat.
Intra-asia is mostly useful to foreign members who never fly AS
milypan likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Intra-asia is mostly useful to foreign members who never fly AS
There are lots of FT members based in the US who regularly travel to Asia and use mileage awards. I have four intra-Asia SQ redemptions already this year.

In fact, one of the best features of AS Mileage Plan is the Asia redemptions on CX and JL.

I also don't understand your point. Sounds like you've got something against all those "foreign members" out there who are apparently stealing your miles.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
I also don't understand your point. Sounds like you've got something against all those "foreign members" out there who are apparently stealing your miles.
I took his point to be that most of the participants in this thread appear to be US-based and probably are not terribly interested in intra-Asia redemptions. But as always, YMMV.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by milypan

I took his point to be that most of the participants in this thread appear to be US-based and probably are not terribly interested in intra-Asia redemptions. But as always, YMMV.
I'm based in Asia and this was definitely of interest to me, so I appreciate postings about Intra-Asia awards. Keep them coming! It will be interesting to see if there is really any Intra-Asia J class awards on SQ, particularly on their newer aircraft with the new hard product.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
I am guessing US members redeem more award spaces on non-US airlines than non-US members redeeming award space on US airlines (because there are far less saver spaces)...
Also, US based members can earn miles so much easier than the rest of the world.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I have no problem with foreign members who actually fly AS.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
There are lots of FT members based in the US who regularly travel to Asia and use mileage awards. I have four intra-Asia SQ redemptions already this year.

In fact, one of the best features of AS Mileage Plan is the Asia redemptions on CX and JL.

I’ve done SQ intra-Asia redemptions myself, but I think his point is that you end up with folks who are interested in MP solely as a way to get a big time discount on other airline premium cabins, buying AS miles or Marriott points and cashing in for flights, never flying the airline. That’s how you get devalued programs. Note that UA used to offer SQ intra-Asia/SE Asia to Australia flights on SQ for a lot cheaper miles price than exists now. FT is a case of pigs getting fed and hogs getting slaughtered.

The EK devaluation is probably the best example of this phenomenon...
NWplatinum and flatdawgs like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Knowing SQ, AS redemptions will be restricted to economy class, and business only on 772, A330 aircrafts. The only airline FFP which allows award redemption in business on the other aircrafts is Lufthansa Mile's & More.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Knowing SQ, AS redemptions will be restricted to economy class, and business only on 772, A330 aircrafts. The only airline FFP which allows award redemption in business on the other aircrafts is Lufthansa Mile's & More.
Eventually the 772s and A330s are being retired for 787-10s with lie-flats, no?

I could live with AS PE redemptions on the USA-Europe and USA-NRT/ICN routes as well. Not ideal but at the right price in miles and actual availability... options are good.
jinglish likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP G, CZ *G, UA *S, AC *S, Hilton D, Marriott T, IHG S
Will it be possible to use AS miles for the new SIN-JFK flight? Has anyone tried yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.