Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines (SQ) Redemptions - Limited Availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Airlines (SQ) Redemptions - Limited Availability

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by mczlaw
Not so sure that is a safe assumption.
I was going to say the same but the fact they are letting SQ members redeem on AS (since day 1) makes me think some kind of redemption will be possible on SQ

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
I've not tried SQ yet, but hoping to soon.
Is been many years since I was on SQ but my experience in F was ok, seat was huge, food not as great but it was not the most premium route (IAH-DME-SIN). I'll be trying the new solo Premium Economy seat EWR-SIN on the A350URL in January.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
lol okay.. yes, I found their omelette to be pretty rubbery, but it's eggs reheated in the sky so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. The restrooms I used in EK business and first were nicer than most others I've used domestic or internationally. Okay, the cabins aren't brand new, but certainly don't feel old or outdated to me, and their IFE system had the largest selection I've seen, with some pretty large screens. I've not tried SQ yet, but hoping to soon.
I would go one step further regarding the F restroom on the EK A380 and say it's nicer (and certainly larger) than a lot of hotel restrooms. If they only added a Toto Washlet...
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I would go one step further regarding the F restroom on the EK A380 and say it's nicer (and certainly larger) than a lot of hotel restrooms. If they only added a Toto Washlet...
Gotta go with JL
rustykettel likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by beckoa
Gotta go with JL
And you don't have to fly F to get it either!
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Not so sure that is a safe assumption.
I Agree. With Staralliance membeship united doing some of the feed, SQ didnt need more airlines accessing award seat to give away until AS was a proven feed to SQ.
I think this is rather a trial between AS and SQ and full assessment is still underway. It might never come.

Just my one cent.

Jiburi
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
That might make sense if this were the only partner in this situation but that is not the case. Several new partners haven’t had redemption options for months after AS themselves announced they would be available.

No airline really needs AS for them to survive. They could easily just interline for connecting traffic with every carrier serving any particular airport.
jinglish likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco

No airline really needs AS for them to survive. They could easily just interline for connecting traffic with every carrier serving any particular airport.

Just a prediction but - - - - --
Unless of course SQ may be planning on adding a SIN-SEA non stop route. This would connect to all points South on AS because United has a poor presence in SEA. SEA is 800 miles closer to SIN than LAX.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by davistev
Just a prediction but - - - - --
Unless of course SQ may be planning on adding a SIN-SEA non stop route. This would connect to all points South on AS because United has a poor presence in SEA. SEA is 800 miles closer to SIN than LAX.
Seems very unlikely. LAX and SFO are already much bigger markets to SIN and are/will be served well by SQ. Why would this have any relevance to redemptions anyway? SQ has already figured out redemptions on AS. Seems far more likely that this is low priority for AS and they haven't bothered to get it sorted out.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by jiburi
I Agree. With Staralliance membeship united doing some of the feed, SQ didnt need more airlines accessing award seat to give away until AS was a proven feed to SQ.
I think this is rather a trial between AS and SQ and full assessment is still underway. It might never come.

Just my one cent.

Jiburi
IMO the “long wait” for SQ awards with Alaska miles isn’t worth reading into beyond the usual Alaska IT delays.

It all seems like a moot point, since SQ will likely have sparse partner availability for mileage plan members.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jiburi

Just my one cent.

Jiburi
If SQ is looking for feed from AS then they should make it attractive to Mileage Plan members. Discount Y fares earn squat! Even discount business U & D do not give a COS. I sure to hell am not going to support SQ as an AS partner if I am not earning some EQM/RDM for my loyalty. After my experience flying SQ J earlier this year on the 777, I have no desire for an award either.

Looking at SQ fares for a return SFO-SIN in September, the cheapest fare is $852 and earns nothing on AS. If you up-fare to the lowest 50% fare bucket (W) the fare jumps to $1060. Looking for 100% EQM/RDM? That fare is $2178 with a connection or $2468 on the non-stop.

KE via ICN 50% N class $832
KE via ICN 100% E class $1637

CX via HKG 25% Q class $932
CX via HKG 50% V class $1184
CX via HKG 100% K class $1707
CX via HKG 110% R (PE) $2749

JL via HND 30% Q class $854 +20% RDM bonus
JL via HND 50% S class $990
JL via HND 70% M class $1357
JL via HND 100% E class (PE) $2160

EK via DXB 50% L class $1279
EK via DXB 100% W class $2229

J price return for same dates:

KE $4230 125% EQM, 225% RDM + Elite Bonus
CX $4468 125% EQM, 225% RDM + Elite Bonus
JL $4967 125% EQM, 225% RDM + Elite Bonus
SQ 100% EQM, 200% RDM + Elite Bonus $4848 non-stop or $4257 1-stop.

Overall, SQ is a clear loser for Mileage Plan Members. If awards do come available for booking, great for those that see value for their particular circumstance, if they don't they don't, I couldn't care less one way or the other. From a loyalty perspective, I wish not to support them and won't consider an award redemption should they ultimately become available.

James
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Seems very unlikely. LAX and SFO are already much bigger markets to SIN and are/will be served well by SQ. Why would this have any relevance to redemptions anyway? SQ has already figured out redemptions on AS. Seems far more likely that this is low priority for AS and they haven't bothered to get it sorted out.
Yes, probably much lower priority than amalgamating two airlines into one reservation system. The last VX flight wasn't that long ago...

James
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Looking at SQ fares for a return SFO-SIN in September, the cheapest fare is $852 and earns nothing on AS. If you up-fare to the lowest 50% fare bucket (W) the fare jumps to $1060. Looking for 100% EQM/RDM? That fare is $2178 with a connection or $2468 on the non-stop.
SQ Premium economy earns 100% in September its $1731 for 1 stop, $1846 non-stop
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
SQ Premium economy earns 100% in September its $1731 for 1 stop, $1846 non-stop
It wasn't quite that cheap when I was looking earlier. I do see now that for the dates I was checking in September the one-stop price for SQ PE is $1681. I also see that the price for CX PE is now $237 cheaper at $1444. Since CX gives a 10% COS bonus you can probably guess where I am leaning. Ironically, or not, both itineraries are identical with SQ's fifth-freedom SFO-HKG flight.

For someone on a smaller budget though, discount Y doesn't make SQ viable if you are seeking any EQM with AS. Getting back to my point, there is nothing compelling enough having SQ as a partner to draw AS Mileage Plan members to SQ. There are better options for revenue flights and I doubt there will be much in the way of award space at a decent redemption rate.

I am flying FJ SYD to/from LAX V class, 100% EQM for $693 in September/November. It will be nice to break up the flight in NAN; SQ SFO-SIN is a long time to be in a tube if you don't have a lie-flat. A350 J may be ok but the 77W hard product is very poor IMHO.

James

PS: Maybe AS is waiting until they can takle SQ, EI & AY together with the devaluations of QF, JL, CX & HU. Seems plausible. We know they are overdue.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Not all that excited about the possibilities..

SIN is too remote to be of much use connecting to 95% of places in Asia.

Geographically, SIN is like MIA. By the time I get to MIA, I've flown way past the rest of the USA. MIA is great for connecting to S America though.
Similarly - by the time I get to SIN, I've blown way past the rest of Asia. I can connect to Australia from SIN though!

Since SIN is so remote, I don't see many uses for miles award with a SIN stopover.

The Western media likes to glamourize Singapore - case in point - the movie Crazy rich asians. Most Asia-hands just consider it a tiny backwater location that became ultramodern.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Originally Posted by eethan
SIN is too remote to be of much use connecting to 95% of places in Asia.

Geographically, SIN is like MIA. By the time I get to MIA, I've flown way past the rest of the USA. MIA is great for connecting to S America though.
Similarly - by the time I get to SIN, I've blown way past the rest of Asia. I can connect to Australia from SIN though!

Since SIN is so remote, I don't see many uses for miles award with a SIN stopover.

The Western media likes to glamourize Singapore - case in point - the movie Crazy rich asians. Most Asia-hands just consider it a tiny backwater location that became ultramodern.
Does “western media” glamorize Singapore? Personally, Crazy Rich Asians is the first instance I’ve seen it happen.

I love using SIN for stopovers when traveling in Southeast Asia. It is the perfect 2 or 3 day destination due to its size. I usually spend a majority of my time there stuffing my face at hawker centers and just exploring the beautiful city.

You mentioned connecting in SIN for Australia, but I would imagine it would be a major gateway to India. I’ve traveled on SQ to SIN & NRT from LAX a few times over the past 2 years, and my flights have been full of Indian nationals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.