Wiki Posts
Search

Award Success Story and Lessons Learned

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, UA Plt
Award Success Story and Lessons Learned

I just booked AF J award PDX-SFO-CDG-MAD for mid-march and return BA F award MAD-LHR-LAS-PDX. Working with the partner desk as neither leg would come up complete on AS.com. What I ended up doing was searching individual legs for availability like SFO-CDG and then CDG-MAD. Then calling the partner desk and tell them the legs. I also used expert flyer, which is much quicker, to search O fares on AF and Z fares on BA.

One problem I discovered is that if you book AF outgoing and BA return as a single itinerary the AS system charges tax as if the BA ticket was round trip so $700 in taxes. Instead I booked the trip as two one ways and taxes were only $320.

I also placed fare alerts on expertflyer just in case LHR-SEA adds any open space in F. Being 75k I can change the ticket without fees.

Also saw availability for EK F LAX-DXB-CDG but 180k miles...Though 24 hours in EK F suites was very tempting.
LHG likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
DXB-BRU puts you in the NEW F Suites.... may be worth the train ride.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
The F award for EK went from 100k to 180k miles. At 100k I would have done it.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Originally Posted by drewcwsj
The F award for EK went from 100k to 180k miles. At 100k I would have done it.
Have they even released award space on the new F?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by CDKing
TPG said they are not releasing new suite award inventory. YMMV, because ORD - DXB is rumored to be the next route and can still be purchased via AS.com.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
I don't think so. The LAX-DXB and DXB-CDG are both the old style F cabins on the A380.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

My connecting flights on AS for both legs are in coach. I checked online and F is wide open on all the AS flights with U7 (7 upgrades open via expertflyer). Seems to me that if you are on a partner international award in F/J and U space is available for the AS connections then you should book into F. Overall I'm not concerned as a 75k I'll be upgraded anyways 95%. One interesting find is that on a partner award you can't use VX for connections. I assume due to the AS rule of only one partner per award.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
My connecting flights on AS for both legs are in coach. I checked online and F is wide open on all the AS flights with U7 (7 upgrades open via expertflyer). Seems to me that if you are on a partner international award in F/J and U space is available for the AS connections then you should book into F. Overall I'm not concerned as a 75k I'll be upgraded anyways 95%. One interesting find is that on a partner award you can't use VX for connections. I assume due to the AS rule of only one partner per award.
After the switchover in April, one can add Airbii aircraft to OAL awards. @:-)
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
You can get U at your upgrade window (complimentary upgrade). If you want to confirm into F ahead of time on a J award, you'll need A space on the AS leg(s).

As for your award, also consider LHR-SFO-PDX or LHR-SJC-PDX. Both SFO and SJC have F service on BA.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa
You can get U at your upgrade window (complimentary upgrade). If you want to confirm into F ahead of time on a J award, you'll need A space on the AS leg(s).

As for your award, also consider LHR-SFO-PDX or LHR-SJC-PDX. Both SFO and SJC have F service on BA.
Ahh thanks! Expertflyer shows zero A space and 7 U. Apparently AS is much more generous with upgrades than saver awards. Checking on AS.com and most domestic F awards are 60k miles. Funny but VX F is only 25k.

I'm flying home 3/19 and as far as I can see I have the only F award on BA west of the mississippi that day.
channa likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Another wrinkle. My morning flight 3/11 PDX-SFO was just cancelled. AS has moved most of their capacity for PDX-SFO and SEA-SFO to VX. This is of course a huge problem for connecting to SFO for a partner award with the AS rule of only one partner per award. My AF leg SFO-CDG leaves at 1600. AS has no flights now from either PDX or SEA that can get me to SFO on 3/11 in time to make my connection. I'm waiting on a call back from the partner desk.

Update - The partner desk is unable to change me to a VX flight. Instead they are calling AF to request a J award seat on the LAX-CDG flight.The challenge is that the SFO-CDG was the only AF flight with J award available on 3/11 out of the USA. So apparently asking AF to open award inventory is easier than asking VX for a connecting flight...

Last edited by drewcwsj; Dec 18, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Another wrinkle. My morning flight 3/11 PDX-SFO was just cancelled. AS has moved most of their capacity for PDX-SFO and SEA-SFO to VX. This is of course a huge problem for connecting to SFO for a partner award with the AS rule of only one partner per award. My AF leg SFO-CDG leaves at 1600. AS has no flights now from either PDX or SEA that can get me to SFO on 3/11 in time to make my connection. I'm waiting on a call back from the partner desk.

Update - The partner desk is unable to change me to a VX flight. Instead they are calling AF to request a J award seat on the LAX-CDG flight.The challenge is that the SFO-CDG was the only AF flight with J award available on 3/11 out of the USA. So apparently asking AF to open award inventory is easier than asking VX for a connecting flight...
Interesting development. Might work out in your favor
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

AF said no. The partner desk asked for a week to see if they can get VX to play nicely. The other option offered was to do an overnight in LAX at my expense to which I said no.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Looks like I may have the first multi-partner itinerary PDX-SFO on VX SFO-CDG-MAD on AF all on a single award. I think this is an exception for me as Alaska cancelled all the morning flights PDX-SFO (and SEA-SFO) going forwards to remove duplicates in the combined schedule. The partner desk told me that the target for VX to be integrated into awards is April.
SFOPeter likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL GM
Looks like I may have the first multi-partner itinerary PDX-SFO on VX SFO-CDG-MAD on AF all on a single award. I think this is an exception for me as Alaska cancelled all the morning flights PDX-SFO (and SEA-SFO) going forwards to remove duplicates in the combined schedule. The partner desk told me that the target for VX to be integrated into awards is April.
Nice! Did you get F? I had an AS leg cancel day-of-departure on a partner award earlier this year, rebooked into VX... middle seat in coach. (Not even MCS!) Short flight luckily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.