Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[speculation thread] ORD -> SEA family kicked off plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[speculation thread] ORD -> SEA family kicked off plane

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:47 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
I wonder if this has to do with the employee positive space pass program. I believe that in some cases, you can bring others with you if you have accumulated enough special passes, BUT, the employee *has* to be with the guests traveling with them.

Buddy passes, registered guest, etc -- none of these require or mandate the employee is with them, I believe.

And UM children 12 an older are exempt from fees, if they are non-rev'ing.
Good point and you're right, it would definitely be the same with Positive Space Travel.

The AS employee or spouse would have to travel with them as well if they were listed as companions. Normally they would issue them guest (buddy) passes in a situation where someone is traveling without the AS employee or spouse.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by jinglish
Yeah, I was confused by the idea that this was because of a credit card companion fare--do multi-person tickets actually get voided if one of the people on said ticket is a no-show?
I agree, I'm thinking the non-rev theory is more plausible.

Even if the companion ticket must remain in tact, AS shouldn't really care -- the party paid for 1 person and got 1 free plus tax (or $99 plus tax), so they got at least as much money as 1 person would have paid. Why would they care and try to figure out who the paid res was and who the free one was? When you book the thing, there are two name fields, it doesn't tell you who's the paid one and who's the freebie anyway. It's just a 2-pax PNR. If one can't make it, no refund, but oh well.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Friend said it could be related to the Employee PST - Positive Space Travel Program where they've earned the right to 4 tickets valid for x months/years. Most of them come in bulks of 4 each.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by garykung
I will not assume anything.

But if it was indeed a companion fare, and the person with the benefit was not there, AS was within its rights to DB.

Although it was sad to see children were involved, the parents should have made a better decision.

Really - nothing to see here.
Totally concur.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by jinglish
Yeah, I was confused by the idea that this was because of a credit card companion fare--do multi-person tickets actually get voided if one of the people on said ticket is a no-show?
This is pedantic but the terminology is relevant here: There's no such thing as a multi-person ticket. There are multi-person reservations, but each person on the reservation has their own ticket.

There would be no problem with TSA or boarding; every passenger on the reservation, with their own ticket, would have their own boarding pass. There's no requirement that passengers booked together on a companion fare board or clear TSA together. (It would be virtually impossible to enforce such a requirement anyway.) There is a requirement that if the companion travels, the primary traveler on the reservation (the one who paid the full fare) travels; that can only be verified when they close out the flight. However, at that time, it's very easy to verify. The gate agent has to unload any no-show travelers, and I'm sure the system will indicate if a no-show is on a companion ticket.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by garykung
I will not assume anything.

But if it was indeed a companion fare, and the person with the benefit was not there, AS was within its rights to DB.

Although it was sad to see children were involved, the parents should have made a better decision.

Really - nothing to see here.
hello garykung

just looking at your gpu RPU cpu stats on the bottom, is 0/0 not 100% for the 2017 RPU , just sayin
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by channa
I agree, I'm thinking the non-rev theory is more plausible.

Even if the companion ticket must remain in tact, AS shouldn't really care -- the party paid for 1 person and got 1 free plus tax (or $99 plus tax), so they got at least as much money as 1 person would have paid. Why would they care and try to figure out who the paid res was and who the free one was? When you book the thing, there are two name fields, it doesn't tell you who's the paid one and who's the freebie anyway. It's just a 2-pax PNR. If one can't make it, no refund, but oh well.
Have you booked a reservation with a companion certificate? It most certainly shows you who paid the regular fare and who the "freebie" is! At the bottom of the reservation confirmation in the invoice area it shows;

Passenger 1 : Fare/Fees & Taxes/Total
Passenger 2 : Fare ($0, $99)/Fees & Taxes/Total

Grand Total for 2 PAX

Of course they know who the paying passenger is and who the companion on the certificate is. They even know who the certificate was assinged to, just like GGU's and Alaska Lounge codes.

I was the primary person on a reservation that I booked for my partner and I with my certificate. We used my Partner's GGU's to upgrade to F on PDX-SEA-MSY. The flight from PDX-SEA was downgraded from the E175 to a Q400. From SEA-MSY we sat up front. When I contacted Alaska about my disappointment on the downgrade they replenished two GGU's to my Partner's account. In their email response they asvised they had added them to the other account as that is where they originated from. I was very happy with the outcome as we still benefited from the upgrade on the longer SEA-MSY flight. I used the two new GGU's to upgrade BOS-SEA-PHX in February on a companion certificate. On the PHX-SEA-YLW portion of the itinerary I chose to waitlist for F as I didn't want to burn two additional GGU's on such a short flight. I will save them for longer journeys like I did in October, ANC-LAX-SJO - 1 GGU; SJO-LAX-SEA-SFO-PVR - 1 GGU.

James
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by beckoa
*speculation*

​​​​​​​the missing PAX was the one with flight benefits?
This is what I was getting at:

Originally Posted by T2A
Just speculation, but it could also be a non-rev situation where Megan listed the party as her traveling companions. If Megan wasn't there they wouldn't have been allowed to travel. TSA wouldn't have been an issue, but the gate agent normally would have caught it before assigning seats and issuing a boarding pass. Who knows though.
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
I wonder if this has to do with the employee positive space pass program. I believe that in some cases, you can bring others with you if you have accumulated enough special passes, BUT, the employee *has* to be with the guests traveling with them.

Buddy passes, registered guest, etc -- none of these require or mandate the employee is with them, I believe.

And UM children 12 an older are exempt from fees, if they are non-rev'ing.
Originally Posted by T2A
Assuming Megan is an AS employee or spouse and listed them as companions and didn't show it would definitely void all the tickets. They would have to go through a completely different process of acquiring tickets which is more expensive and would give them a lower boarding priority.
Originally Posted by T2A
Good point and you're right, it would definitely be the same with Positive Space Travel.

The AS employee or spouse would have to travel with them as well if they were listed as companions. Normally they would issue them guest (buddy) passes in a situation where someone is traveling without the AS employee or spouse.
Agree further speculation will not really be that productive.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
just looking at your gpu RPU cpu stats on the bottom, is 0/0 not 100% for the 2017 RPU , just sayin
OT - 0/0 is not really 100% mathematically.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:10 pm

Any update on the family?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by joep17
Any update on the family?
Since this story wasn't told by anyone who knows the family in question, I'm going to guess... no.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Have you booked a reservation with a companion certificate? It most certainly shows you who paid the regular fare and who the "freebie" is! At the bottom of the reservation confirmation in the invoice area it shows;
Sure, after it's purchased.

But even then, it's arbitrary. I could book a ticket for me + you as companion. Or I could book the same ticket as you + me as companion. Doesn't matter. It's 2 seats to the destination. If one of us has to bail on the trip last minute, why should it matter what order it was booked in, so long as no one is claiming a credit for the second ticket?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by channa
Sure, after it's purchased.

But even then, it's arbitrary. I could book a ticket for me + you as companion. Or I could book the same ticket as you + me as companion. Doesn't matter. It's 2 seats to the destination. If one of us has to bail on the trip last minute, why should it matter what order it was booked in, so long as no one is claiming a credit for the second ticket?
I know I've seen a comment here in this forum saying that the primary passenger can fly without the companion but not vice versa. I'm looking for it but haven't found it yet.

Found it: Companion ticket question - missing the final leg

Per the ever helpful missydarlin: "The person with the full fare ticket can fly without the companion but the companion cannot fly without the full fare passenger."
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
I know I've seen a comment here in this forum saying that the primary passenger can fly without the companion but not vice versa. I'm looking for it but haven't found it yet.

Found it: Companion ticket question - missing the final leg

Per the ever helpful missydarlin: "The person with the full fare ticket can fly without the companion but the companion cannot fly without the full fare passenger."
That sucks...sounds like you should use their BP and seat if at all possible.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
The odd thing is... you can use your companion fare on 2 different people (at least you used to).

Let's say Tom has a companion fare that is expiring... but he has no where to fly before it does.
Bill & Jane do have somewhere to fly.

Tom can buy two tickets, using his companion fare, using his Alaska credit card, for Bill & Jane. Tom doesn't have to fly with them.

The problem seems to be if Tom cannot use his fare, and only Jane wants to go somewhere. They come up with the idea that Tom will book Jane as his companion, and he'll be a no-show and not fly.

I guess the intent there would be that Tom could use his status level to get a refund as a no-show, and Jane would only fly for $99. Not sure that would even work with Alaska's changes to their no-show policy anymore.

Last edited by nearlysober; Nov 30, 2017 at 2:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.