Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to book flights to FNA (Freetown) using Mileage Plan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Silver, Aeroplan 25K, DVC

I'm trying to book an award ticket to FNA in Sierra Leone. Both KLM and Air France (listed as Mileage Plan partners) fly from AMS and CDG respectively to FNA. I'm trying to fly from YVR or SEA, although I would consider just booking from AMS or CDG to FNA and book the trip to Europe separately (actually I think I want to layover in Europe). I've tried this on Alaska's website, but can't seem to find any options for any dates. I notice that the award charts do allow for Canada/US to Africa, but not Europe to Africa. Any suggestions? Does Mileage Plan simply not allow for flights to Africa that transit Europe?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Great White North
I notice that the award charts do allow for Canada/US to Africa, but not Europe to Africa. Any suggestions? Does Mileage Plan simply not allow for flights to Africa that transit Europe?
You can transit Europe but not originate in Europe. Mileage Plan is not an anywhere to anywhere plan. To redeem as a single award you need to see the desired carrier(s) on the desired origin and destination geography pair.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
AS MP does allow AF/KL awards from North America to Africa (including a stopover in AMS or CDG if you want) but you are at the mercy of AF/KL award availability which is usually pretty terrible.

If you search YVR-AMS/CDG, you will see that very few (if any) awards show up. This affects your flight to FNA.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Delta Plat, HHonors Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Silver
if you use the multi city search you can build in a stop over.

First find a flight from north america to africa that has availability on the europe-africa leg you want, then look for the north america to europe leg you want... then use multi city search to combine the two.

or you can use another airline's search engine to look up each segment separately first...
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Great White North
I'm trying to book an award ticket to FNA in Sierra Leone. Both KLM and Air France (listed as Mileage Plan partners) fly from AMS and CDG respectively to FNA. I'm trying to fly from YVR or SEA, although I would consider just booking from AMS or CDG to FNA and book the trip to Europe separately (actually I think I want to layover in Europe). I've tried this on Alaska's website, but can't seem to find any options for any dates. I notice that the award charts do allow for Canada/US to Africa, but not Europe to Africa. Any suggestions? Does Mileage Plan simply not allow for flights to Africa that transit Europe?
What approximate time frame are you looking for? If you can be flexible it would certainly improve your chances of finding award space. Is flying from AMS to FNA on KLM and returing to CDG on AF or vise versa an option? You could do a stopover in both cities if that is of interest to you. How about flying from SEA and returning to YVR or vise versa? What class are you interested in? Both KLM & AF reserve first class rewards for their Flying Blue Elites so your options are Y or J if available of course. YVR-AMS is a 9h 45m flight and AMS-FNA is 7 hours (equivalent to ANC-OGG/HNL) both doable in Y. It looks like FNA-AMS on KLM Flight 511 is direct (not non-stop) with a 90 minute layover in ROB.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.