Wiki Posts
Search

Precheck on VX when booking on AS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG; WN CP; Kimpton Inner Circle
Precheck on VX when booking on AS

Warning for the folks here: My KTN was dropped on the VX side of a reservation. Alaska insisted that my KTN was on the reservation and blamed my not including my initial, then suggested that I was randomly disallowed PreCheck by TSA when I asked why I've received PreCheck on every Alaska flight this year.

Solution: Tweet at VX to confirm if it's on their side of the reservation. Go figure, it wasn't. They were able to add it immediately.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I always check my reservation on the VX app or the VX website to make sure the KTN is in there and sometimes it is in there correctly and sometimes it has certain added notations like "///US"
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:52 am

The time this happened to me it took about two minutes to add KTN in the app (I believe) and reload the BP. As always, check well before you walk up to the TSA agent that precheck is on your BP.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I always check my reservation on the VX app or the VX website to make sure the KTN is in there and sometimes it is in there correctly and sometimes it has certain added notations like "///US"
The ///US is part of the internal GDS coding. The entire script is as follows (depending on GDS) SSRDOCOASHK1//K/123456789///US-1LAST/FIRST MIDDLE
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ciba
Warning for the folks here: My KTN was dropped on the VX side of a reservation. Alaska insisted that my KTN was on the reservation and blamed my not including my initial, then suggested that I was randomly disallowed PreCheck by TSA when I asked why I've received PreCheck on every Alaska flight this year.

Solution: Tweet at VX to confirm if it's on their side of the reservation. Go figure, it wasn't. They were able to add it immediately.
DIY via "Manage Reservation" on the VX website (and app?) should work also ...
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ciba

What I've been seeing is that when you book an AS flight number on VX metal that the AS system isn't transferring over your profile information (e-mail, KTN) into the reservation. This has happened to me 4 times in a row through both the AS web site and my corporate travel agents. AS seems to have a glitch in their system.

It's easy to fix though. You can edit it online or call VX and get them to add it. Took me 2 minutes on the phone with the VX Elevate Gold line yesterday to fix it the last time.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The ///US is part of the internal GDS coding. The entire script is as follows (depending on GDS) SSRDOCOASHK1//K/123456789///US-1LAST/FIRST MIDDLE
True, but on the VX website, it does show the KTN with ///US as invalid. I always go in and manually take that out and resave it. Then it is happy. People have reported though their pre-check worked fine despite them not changing anything.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I'm one of those who has never had a problem with PreCheck on VX when booked thru Alaska Air.

But, as a seasoned traveler, I *always* check my reservations with the operating carrier.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Here's a weird one I experienced a few days ago: PreCheck showed up when I originally checked in and saved a copy of my BP, but when I loaded the iPhone BP PreCheck disappeared. Didn't check in a second time either. Simply hit "view BP" or whatever it says.

FWIW, I always remove the ///US when checking in.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Here's a weird one I experienced a few days ago: PreCheck showed up when I originally checked in and saved a copy of my BP, but when I loaded the iPhone BP PreCheck disappeared. Didn't check in a second time either. Simply hit "view BP" or whatever it says.

If it was the VX app that happens sometimes. I believe its something to do with the rendering of the city specific image behind the barcode. Somewhat like the image for PHL being surrounded by white boxes the app. If you save the mobile pass to your apple wallet (assuming you have an iPhone...no clue about android) Precheck will appear again. I would assume the barcode would stay the same no matter where its displayed, but given that many pre TSA people want to see the recheck symbol I have never tried scanning the app at the Precheck podium.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I wonder if that is too late if in fact that is an invalid format. I am not sure if there is any pre-validation that needs to occur that takes a day or two before allowing it to appear for check-in.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by brettsir
If it was the VX app that happens sometimes. I believe its something to do with the rendering of the city specific image behind the barcode. Somewhat like the image for PHL being surrounded by white boxes the app. If you save the mobile pass to your apple wallet (assuming you have an iPhone...no clue about android) Precheck will appear again. I would assume the barcode would stay the same no matter where its displayed, but given that many pre TSA people want to see the recheck symbol I have never tried scanning the app at the Precheck podium.
Interesting. I used the website to check in and get the link for the Apple Wallet BP. When saving it to my iPhone, the Pre symbol disappeared. I didn't try to scan it (not worth the risk of the general line at LAX), or to decode the barcode, so I just used a printed one for TSA.

Like I said, this hasn't happened to me on VX before (even going back to the pre-merger era), so it threw me for a loop. Glad I discovered it before heading to the airport instead of in an uber or at security!
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:19 pm

I would also point out that I've had a couple of flights where my DOB did not transfer, which prevented me from changing seats or even checking in. I had to call in to get them to add the DOB, and once that happened I could choose seats and everything so if you see that you go to VX and the whole seat map is blacked out this could be the reason (even though the message will say that seats will be assigned during check in on departure).
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I wonder if that is too late if in fact that is an invalid format. I am not sure if there is any pre-validation that needs to occur that takes a day or two before allowing it to appear for check-in.
No. PreCheck is validated at check-in.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
I'm one of those who has never had a problem with PreCheck on VX when booked thru Alaska Air.

But, as a seasoned traveler, I *always* check my reservations with the operating carrier.
I didn't have an issue either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.