Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

"Our California Game is Stepping Up"....Not You Oakland

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Our California Game is Stepping Up"....Not You Oakland

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I thought the only slot restricted airports are LGA, JFK, and DCA. Why would SNA need slots?

I agree, I would never fly out of SFO, so expanding SJC makes a lot of sense. Silicon Valley is closer to SJC than any other Bay Area airport.
A lot of smaller airports have slots due to community noise restrictions. LGB also has it and so does HPN. SNA has one of the most valuable slot systems due to its location in the OC.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Airlines are not charities but there are other considerations that go into this beyond simply maximizing profits on any given route. Since the VX purchase AS has thrown every resource they can on any route they can at SFO to try to work towards building up a competitive hub, no matter if the fares are low and the planes are not full. It's not hard to imagine an alternate scenario with no VX purchase, and AS working to organically grow and develop existing routes and airports that aren't SFO (like OAK). Every communication from the company pre-VX seemed to indicate the E175s would be headed for routes like PDX-OAK (they told me as much every time I complained about the Q400s), but instead today we get SFO-ABQ, SFO-MSP, SFO-MCI, etc.
In addition to this, there are retaliatory expansions. AS did not built up SLC because they thought it was undeserved by DL; they did it to be annoying and retaliate for DL building up SEA. WN keeps adding routes and frequencies at SFO/SJC in moves that appear directed primarily at AS but AS refuses to retaliate on WN's home turf at OAK. WN thanks them for this courtesy.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
In addition to this, there are retaliatory expansions. AS did not built up SLC because they thought it was undeserved by DL; they did it to be annoying and retaliate for DL building up SEA. WN keeps adding routes and frequencies at SFO/SJC in moves that appear directed primarily at AS but AS refuses to retaliate on WN's home turf at OAK. WN thanks them for this courtesy.
... and routes like SLC-LAS have washed out and been withdrawn (in a move that should surprise absolutely no-one) because SLC is a captive hub for DL (at around 72% when you add DL and OO), just like OAK is for WN.

PS: WN bought Morris Air back in the day. SLC was their hub. DL still owns SLC, 20-some years later (thanks to their purchase of Western). So it appears incumbency and hub domination has advantages.

If your idea is "AS should add some random routes out of OAK where they have zero feed on either end and zero ability to really respond once WN decides to set some $29 fare sales all the time and run hourly shuttles, so they can get crushed by WN and withdraw the service 18 months later once they're tired of losing money", well, OK then.
notquiteaff and jinglish like this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 11, 2017 at 11:01 pm
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
... and routes like SLC-LAS have washed out and been withdrawn (in a move that should surprise absolutely no-one) because SLC is a captive hub for DL (at around 72% when you add DL and OO), just like OAK is for WN.
Glad I got to fly that route before it went Tango Uniform.

It was rather scenic, especially the approach for landing- a bit bumpy into SLC. LAS had STS as well on QX that didn't survive.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:32 am

PS: WN bought Morris Air back in the day. SLC was their hub. DL still owns SLC, 20-some years later (thanks to their purchase of Western). So it appears incumbency and hub domination has advantages.

If your idea is "AS should add some random routes out of OAK where they have zero feed on either end and zero ability to really respond once WN decides to set some $29 fare sales all the time and run hourly shuttles, so they can get crushed by WN and withdraw the service 18 months later once they're tired of losing money", well, OK then.
Also SFO/SJC-SLC. There are profit-driven reasons and there are other reasons to improve service at OAK. I’ll happily take either.

Last edited by ucdtim17; Nov 12, 2017 at 7:56 am
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also SFO/SJC-SLC. There are profit-driven reasons and there are other reasons to improve service at OAK. I’ll happily take either.
... which are now AS hubs/focus cities where connectivity sort of makes sense (though let's see if AS keeps them or drops them to add intra-CA service or tweak what's on offer for SFO/SJC), and for obvious reasons will never get OAK service.

So you're basically down to LAX and SAN, maaaaaaybe SNA.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:30 am

... which are now AS hubs/focus cities where connectivity sort of makes sense (though let's see if AS keeps them or drops them to add intra-CA service or tweak what's on offer for SFO/SJC), and for obvious reasons will never get OAK service.

So you're basically down to LAX and SAN, maaaaaaybe SNA.
I think they’re already dropped. I’m just saying it’s a little odd that through different leadership, different economies, different fleet composition and different business strategies, somehow, improbably, the ideal service on PDX-OAK is always 3x Q400. Quite a plane.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:39 am

My whining is hopefully moot now as this could be the last month of Q400 service on the route
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The OAK<->LAS weekend route is so profitable (read high fares) that JetsuiteX is competing from CCR. AS could certainly make money here as WN service is not that great (many delays from LAS). WN is also charging premium weekend fares OAK<->SJD and AS could probably add similar non stops without cannibalizing VX SFO biz (and continuing to feed from SEA/PDX).

There are quite a few profitable routes here where WN is making a killing that don’t require frequency but do require some number crunching and desire to expand. Personally I would much prefer AS if that is an option.

Last edited by Boraxo; Nov 13, 2017 at 12:49 pm
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:59 am

Let's not kid yourself, JetSuiteX is a much better product for short haul than anything domestic carriers offer. Even then, it has trouble with BUR-OAK/SJC.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by tphuang
Let's not kid yourself, JetSuiteX is a much better product for short haul than anything domestic carriers offer. Even then, it has trouble with BUR-OAK/SJC.
Trouble? They just announced OAK-BUR a month ago. I'm surprised to see they've started already.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I thought the only slot restricted airports are LGA, JFK, and DCA. Why would SNA need slots?

I agree, I would never fly out of SFO, so expanding SJC makes a lot of sense. Silicon Valley is closer to SJC than any other Bay Area airport.
i can't find the documents but SNA is slot controlled on a specific aircraft (large planes). i believe the ER-175 does not fall into that category but i could be mistaken.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
The OAK<->LAS weekend route is so profitable (read high fares) that JetsuiteX is competing from CCR. AS could certainly make money here as WN service is not that great (many delays from LAS).
WN is the top carrier at OAK and LAS (so for all intents and purposes this is like AS starting up ATL-MSP, DFW-ORD or EWR-IAH). It's also a leisure market. Both markets have heavy LCC penetration; LAS is a G4/NK hub, and NK has multiple daily frequencies to LAS (G4 flies the route as well). AS just got through flopping a route they tried out of a competitor hub to LAS (SLC-LAS), the only difference being DL only owns ONE side of the route via a hub.

Other than that, what could possibly go wrong?

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 13, 2017 at 11:23 am
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Boraxo
The OAK<->LAS weekend route is so profitable (read high fares) that JetsuiteX is competing from CCR. AS could certainly make money here as WN service is not that great (many delays from LAS). WN is also charging premium weekend fares to SJD - AS could probably add similar non stops without cannibalizing VX SFO biz (and continuing to feed from SEA/PDX).

There are quite a few profitable routes here where WN is making a killing that don’t require frequency but do require some number crunching and desire to expand. Personally I would much prefer AS if that is an option.
LAS is a major WN hub, reasonable to expect significant OAK<->LAS service; expect there is limited O&D, which would be the primary reason for AS to jump in.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by diver858
LAS is a major WN hub, reasonable to expect significant OAK<->LAS service; expect there is limited O&D, which would be the primary reason for AS to jump in.
There is significant O/D from SF Bay Area with young techies and trust funders flying to LAS for the weekend (as is the case from NYC area). They are paying $250-$300 one-way for the privilege and driving is not really an option as is the case from SoCal.

So yes, it's a huge market - VX (and UA) have captured a piece from SFO but weekend plans are full and OAK (like BUR) is more convenient for many plus rare flight delays.

I can't comment on SLC but that strikes me a low value leisure v. high value leisure. Just because route is not full of business travelers and starlets does not mean it is relegated to LCC territory. Just ask folks flying to Hawaii during peak season.

Again I am not on a mission to promote Vegas but just pointing out that there are profitable routes from OAK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.