FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Our California Game is Stepping Up"....Not You Oakland
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:56 pm
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by diver858
LAS is a major WN hub, reasonable to expect significant OAK<->LAS service; expect there is limited O&D, which would be the primary reason for AS to jump in.
There is significant O/D from SF Bay Area with young techies and trust funders flying to LAS for the weekend (as is the case from NYC area). They are paying $250-$300 one-way for the privilege and driving is not really an option as is the case from SoCal.

So yes, it's a huge market - VX (and UA) have captured a piece from SFO but weekend plans are full and OAK (like BUR) is more convenient for many plus rare flight delays.

I can't comment on SLC but that strikes me a low value leisure v. high value leisure. Just because route is not full of business travelers and starlets does not mean it is relegated to LCC territory. Just ask folks flying to Hawaii during peak season.

Again I am not on a mission to promote Vegas but just pointing out that there are profitable routes from OAK.