Wiki Posts
Search

Uh-oh, is coal on the way again?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Uh-oh, is coal on the way again?

Got an e-mail with an exciting title "Your Holiday Bonus Came Early" - GGRREEAAATTTT!!!! I was already planning when to use my Holiday GGU's while I (figuratively) tore open the e-mail to find...

that I'll get 1,000 bonus miles if I do some shopping or other...
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Yeah I noticed that too. I can't say I'm surprised that with all of Alaska's troubles right now they aren't handing out the good stuff.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Yeah I noticed that too. I can't say I'm surprised that with all of Alaska's troubles right now they aren't handing out the good stuff.
I know, it seems they have a good excuse this year. But not last year when they gave away the store to the Virgins. It still hurts.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Sounds like the email was from their shopping mall, handled by a third party, and not from Alaska. Nothing to do with the annual gift Alaska usually does.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Sounds like the email was from their shopping mall, handled by a third party, and not from Alaska. Nothing to do with the annual gift Alaska usually does.
Actually it was the AS October Mileage Plan account statement so it did come from them. They also keep telling me I have enough miles to go to Australia for some reason. Maybe they want me gone.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:03 pm
vgc

They also keep telling me I have enough miles to go to Australia for some reason. Maybe they want me gone.
They keep telling me that I have enough miles to go to Australia and New Zealand. Which is especially hilarious since they sent me one of those emails WHILE I was in New Zealand, which I used Alaska miles for.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I know, it seems they have a good excuse this year. But not last year when they gave away the store to the Virgins. It still hurts.
Yeah last year woke me up to the fact that AS is changing and I'd better be ready to make different travel choices if their new way of doing things doesn't jive with mine. We're gradually using up our miles and are not even sure if we're going to renew MVPG for 2018, having had to cancel trips due to family issues this year.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by vgc
They keep telling me that I have enough miles to go to Australia and New Zealand. Which is especially hilarious since they sent me one of those emails WHILE I was in New Zealand, which I used Alaska miles for.
That's funny.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Actually it was the AS October Mileage Plan account statement so it did come from them. They also keep telling me I have enough miles to go to Australia for some reason. Maybe they want me gone.
Guess I don't get those anymore since I complained to them about sending me "reminders" to make bookings after I was just checking prices .

Still sounds like it's an offer through Mileage Plan Shopping though. They are pretty common.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Not this again
CommiseRate and thegingninj like this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Not this again
Yes, let's just copy the long, whiny thread from last year.
98103, CommiseRate and thegingninj like this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
...Still sounds like it's an offer through Mileage Plan Shopping though. They are pretty common.
Yup. Which makes me wonder why someone at AS thought it was worth calling this "Your Holiday Bonus Came Early." I would have expected something a bit more tasty. Clickbait, I tell you, it's clickbait!

And for those of you who don't approve of this whining you are free to move along to all of the whining on all of the other threads. Lots to choose from.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flytoeat
So you are happy that you've been faithful to AS, again, and you get coal in your stocking, again, while the V's that have caused their imminent downfall get the chocolates? I'm not. Well, maybe I'll be proven wrong...just a month to see what the V's get rather than the AS faithful.

And if starting a thread a YEAR later about the same results seems redundant to you, well, sorry. It was a very bait-click e-mail that was very insulting.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Not this again
Originally Posted by flytoeat
QFT.

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
So you are happy that you've been faithful to AS, again, and you get coal in your stocking, again, while the V's that have caused their imminent downfall get the chocolates?
Huh? There have been no new benefits announced for VX elites. Last I checked, QX pilot shortages (which are a big reason why AS is flailing the way they are right now) have nothing to do with VX (AS would be hosed just as badly if B6 had won out, because that wouldn't have magically made any QX pilots materialize). Neither is SEA being jammed up thanks to AS and DL growth out of SEA (VX is a trivial amount of capacity in SEA). Their problems right now are ones they'd have no matter what; at best handling the merger on top of all that just gives them extra chainsaws to juggle. Welcome to the big leagues, guys. You wanted to be here, now perform like it.

And all I can say about the rest of it is if one's insulted by rather innocuous marketing emails from an airline one is easily insulted. I have choices in airlines; I don't nurse grudges against a fairly impersonal corporation. I take my business elsewhere if I'm not satisfied with how my business is treated. Easy enough to do that and not look back.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

I can't wait to be proven wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.