Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plan International Redemption Sweet Spots ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Plan International Redemption Sweet Spots ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CDKing

If one did YVR/SFO/LAX-HKG-DXB, one way EK J is just short of RT CX J price.
Yeah, that kind of stretches the definition of "sweet spot".

"BA F is good value because you're paying less than a thousand dollars in carrier surcharges and taxes for a round trip first class seat! And you get a London stopover!"

If you originate in INV on a BA F one-way to the USA, though, check out what it does to the surcharges and UK APD... if you'd like a "good deal" involving BA F and would like to visit the Scottish Highlands.

"EK F is good value because it's only 450,000 miles round trip to Australia! And I have family I can visit in Dubai!"
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yeah, that kind of stretches the definition of "good value".

"BA F is good value because you're paying less than a thousand dollars in carrier surcharges and taxes for a round trip first class seat! And you get a London stopover!"

"EK F is good value because it's only 450,000 miles round trip to Australia! And I have family I can visit in Dubai!"
You mean BA J+
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
You mean BA J+
Sure, but considering that AF F is DENIED, AY J is a myth (6 months of partnership, still no redemption chart), AF/KL J is hard to get, and DE/FI J is closer to Y+, BA F is the best AS mileage redemption in terms of hard/soft product you're going to for NA<->Europe, and it's reasonably plentiful thanks to carrier surcharges and UK APD scaring people off with a price tag for the miles.

Yeah, it's a ripoff compared to CX F but CX doesn't fly USA-Europe...

Oh, and I would say EK J is... reasonable-ish for India/ME? Not... terrible? Though with SEA being not even lie-flat J until the fleet's all the way converted (plus middle seats in J), that means routing to an A380 destination to get the bar and all-aisle access for a lot of the AS customer base.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
This is quite limited, but if you live in SFO/LAX, find a Caribbean destination you want to visit and AA has nonstops from both JFK and MIA (example: SXM), you can get an SFO-JFK-SXM-MIA-SFO for 60k in J (SFO-JFK in F), with stops at JFK, MIA and SXM. That's less miles than SFO-JFK roundtrip in F on AA (65k)
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Sure, but considering that AF F is DENIED, AY J is a myth (6 months of partnership, still no redemption chart), AF/KL J is hard to get, and DE/FI J is closer to Y+, BA F is the best AS mileage redemption in terms of hard/soft product you're going to for NA<->Europe, and it's reasonably plentiful thanks to carrier surcharges and UK APD scaring people off with a price tag for the miles.
AA J and F are (mostly) excellent hard products and halfway-decent soft products, available without the YQ, and with at least some availability.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
20K HNL-CDG, Europe via AA

Originally Posted by discoverCSG
AA J and F are (mostly) excellent hard products and halfway-decent soft products, available without the YQ, and with at least some availability.
One-way 20K fare for HNL to CDG (or most european cities with AA service) Y is my pick for sweet spot. Y on BA is 32.5 K, still a good deal.

Jiburi
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by discoverCSG
"Some"

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
The only AA international destination I've found that seems to actually have some J award inventory is MXP, and even then I'm not finding any for T-330 right now.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA has decent Y availability during European/Asian low season, and every so often randomly has some J availability, but you have to be seriously lucky/flexible to take advantage of it. BA J/F is WAAAAAAY more available.

But when you can get Y to Europe for $300-500 from all kinds of airlines, even 40k AS miles is around a penny per mile (and AS elites lose all benefits after 12/31). Ooooh, great, I can spend 40k AS miles (45k next year) being squashed in ten across AA Y as opposed to spending $500 and getting squashed in (insert name of random airline here).
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Though I'm not the OP, as someone new to Alaska I really appreciate the suggestions offered here. Keep 'em coming, especially for J and F, if there are any more ideas out there.
pfpdx likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Though I'm not the OP, as someone new to Alaska I really appreciate the suggestions offered here. Keep 'em coming, especially for J and F, if there are any more ideas out there.
Like I said, if you're an AA veteran, you have "free stopover in the international gateway/hub on one ways" back on awards now that you switched to AS. I find that tremendously useful, even if I take it in the USA as opposed to overseas in LHR/HKG/DXB. Free transcon/one way to Hawaii or Mexico out of SEA tacked on to an award? Don't mind if I do.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Like I said, if you're an AA veteran, you have "free stopover in the international gateway/hub on one ways" back on awards now that you switched to AS. I find that tremendously useful, even if I take it in the USA as opposed to overseas in LHR/HKG/DXB. Free transcon/one way to Hawaii or Mexico out of SEA tacked on to an award? Don't mind if I do.
Thanks so much! This hadn't quite sunk through my thick skull when you first mentioned it.

Ah, for the days when AA offered an option like this...but then again, dropping that option is far from the worst way in which the Aadvantage program has deteriorated.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Don't forget Costa Rica. Beautiful country and very friendly people. I have been three times in the last year (once to LIR, twice to SJO) More miles from LAX than any Hawaiian Island from anywhere on the continental west coast and only a handful fewer than from ANC. Also for mileage runs it is a great use of a GGU by taking the redeye ANC-LAX and connecting to LAX-SJO. Connection time is <4hrs so only need one GGU for both flights. Even better with a companion Certificate.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Don't forget Costa Rica. Beautiful country and very friendly people. I have been three times in the last year (once to LIR, twice to SJO) More miles from LAX than any Hawaiian Island from anywhere on the continental west coast and only a handful fewer than from ANC. Also for mileage runs it is a great use of a GGU by taking the redeye ANC-LAX and connecting to LAX-SJO. Connection time is <4hrs so only need one GGU for both flights. Even better with a companion Certificate.
I didn’t forget. Central America is not included as part of the North America award zone the same way Mexico and Hawaii are. You can’t stack SJO/LIR on an award the same way you can stack SJD or OGG.

I DID forget the Carribean, though, so in theory you could stack SXM or something similar to an AS award where AA is the only other partner. (I don’t think you can include AS to HAV.)
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I didn’t forget. Central America is not included as part of the North America award zone the same way Mexico and Hawaii are. You can’t stack SJO/LIR on an award the same way you can stack SJD or OGG.

I DID forget the Carribean, though, so in theory you could stack SXM or something similar to an AS award where AA is the only other partner. (I don’t think you can include AS to HAV.)
Ah, thanks for the info. I also was thinking HAV would not be eligible so didn't mention Cuba either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.