Wiki Posts
Search

Wines Fly Free Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Plat, Chase Sapphire, Alaska
Wines Fly Free Question

Haven't seen a thread since 2013, so wanted to verify...

Flying RDM-LIH in a few weeks. If I read the promotion correctly on the website, up to a case is free for a MP member.

Is the sticker that they used to hand out from the winery required? My understanding from the AS website is no.

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
No sticker needed. Just needs to be wine. In fact, I think I once checked like 4 bottles in some wine skins that were in my regular bag, with my clothes, and AS still honored it.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I fly with with 6 bottle aluminum insulated wine case for business all the time out of OAK with AS. The case is marked as wine but no winery designation required. I have never been charged or had any issues. I will add it is check ALWAYS by TSA (checked luggage inspection of course). I have not had a problem but my coworker claims he has had one instance of theft of his wine from his case.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Not cool if someone did indeed confiscate their wine.

Plan to test this out next month.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Plat, Chase Sapphire, Alaska
Thanks for the quick replies and confirmation. Looks like there will be some drinking in the near future for me!
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Not cool if someone did indeed confiscate their wine.

Plan to test this out next month.
I would not call in confiscation but rather theft. I should add it was not on a AS flight but that really doesn't matter as the suspicion was it was stolen by TSA. Having said that I fly with wine all the time (I am a vintner) for business and have never had a problem. Well, except for once many years ago when several bottles broke in my suite case and destroyed about $2K in clothing (I know stupid). Since then I travel with a dedicated wine case, either 6 or 12 pack.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by nomad420
I would not call in confiscation but rather theft. I should add it was not on a AS flight but that really doesn't matter as the suspicion was it was stolen by TSA. Having said that I fly with wine all the time (I am a vintner) for business and have never had a problem. Well, except for once many years ago when several bottles broke in my suite case and destroyed about $2K in clothing (I know stupid). Since then I travel with a dedicated wine case, either 6 or 12 pack.
I've carried hundreds of bottles back and forth myself... and have had minimal damage in checked luggage with clothing. Usually like to wrap in newspaper as well.

Biggest spill was a box with 15 bottles (was flying DL in J, so lots of allowances). Cleared Customs in JFK and was about to recheck my bag...when my box on top fell off my roller bag, and started leaking. Lost 3 bottles and DL agents scrambled to find me a new box. Think it was a banker's box and still have it somewhere

Anyhow- agree with you. It would be theft- was trying to be nice
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: AS
Does the wine fly free also apply to flying VX? Just realizing we are flying VX next and want to take wine. thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.