Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas Lounge Access Success Rate!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Qantas Lounge Access Success Rate!

I noticed that AS MVP Gold and 75K members now have access privileges to Qantas Clubs as per

https://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/201706/0609
and
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rtner-benefits

There seems to be a difference between both announcements. The Qantas announcement say access to both "Domestic and International Business Clubs when flying on a QF international or domestic flight." Whereas the Alaska announcement says only when flying "holding a current day ticket/boarding pass with at least one Qantas operated international flight segment."

I am wondering what experiences AS flyers have had so far considering this is a pretty new perk.

In the next little while I will be attempting to enter the following lounges utilizing the partner benefit bestowed to AS 75K members.

SEPT10 Singapore International Business Lounge (SIN-MEL-ADL) - Success
SEPT11 Melbourne Domestic Lounge (SIN-MEL-ADL) - Success
SEPT26 Adelaide International Business Lounge (ADL-SYD-PEK) - Success
SEPT26 Sydney International Business Lounge (ADL-SYD-PEK) - Success
OCT10 Adelaide International Business Lounge (ADL-MEL-SIN) - Success
OCT10 Melbourne International Business Lounge (ADL-MEL-SIN) - Success
OCT17 Los Angeles International Business Lounge (LAX-BNE-MEL) - Success
OCT19 Brisbane International Business Lounge (LAX-BNE-MEL) - Success
OCT24 Sydney Domestic Lounge (PEK-SYD-ADL)
OCT30 Adelaide International Business Lounge (ADL-BNE-HKG-MNL)
OCT30 Brisbane International Business Lounge (ADL-BNE-HKG-MNL)
OCT30 Hong Kong International Business Lounge (ADL-BNE-HKG-MNL)

This covers access to Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane as well as Singapore, Hong Kong AND Los Angeles. I will update this to record my success rate of this new benefit. Unfortunately, all my Qantas domestic flights are in conjunction with a QF international flight so I am not able to test "Domestic ONLY tickets."

Last edited by davistev; Oct 18, 2017 at 7:57 pm
Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by davistev
There seems to be a difference between both announcements.
We'll be flying a stand-alone QF flight SYD-MEL later this year and were pleased to see the announcement. Looking more closely as you have, I agree the wording differs.

I notice in the QF announcement that "Qantas Frequent Flyer members with a Gold status or higher, and Qantas Club members, will have access to Alaska’s lounges in Los Angeles, Seattle, Anchorage and Portland whenever they travel on an Alaska flight, connecting to, or from, a Qantas international flight."

I wonder if that signifies the true reciprocity.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fredd
I notice in the QF announcement that "Qantas Frequent Flyer members with a Gold status or higher, and Qantas Club members, will have access to Alaska’s lounges in Los Angeles, Seattle, Anchorage and Portland whenever they travel on an Alaska flight, connecting to, or from, a Qantas international flight."

I wonder if that signifies the true reciprocity.
A very good point. I think key is the connecting international QF flight but .....
Old Sep 9, 2017, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Here's a link to the Qantas news posting about this:

https://www.qantas.com/agents_us/dyn...odeshare_Jun17

If you're in Australia, you might want to have this page ready on your screen when you attempt to enter the lounge.

I'm sitting in Qantas' Business Lounge at SYD right now and I am most impressed. I've got about ten flights around Australia in the coming days - all in Business Class. I'll let you know what happens when I try to access a Qantas Club as opposed to the Business Class Lounge.

P.S. Qantas' First Class over from DFW last night was pretty good. Best airline bed I have ever slept on. No JWB tho...
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Here's a link to the Qantas news posting about this:

https://www.qantas.com/agents_us/dyn...odeshare_Jun17

If you're in Australia, you might want to have this page ready on your screen when you attempt to enter the lounge.

I'm sitting in Qantas' Business Lounge at SYD right now and I am most impressed. I've got about ten flights around Australia in the coming days - all in Business Class. I'll let you know what happens when I try to access a Qantas Club as opposed to the Business Class Lounge.

P.S. Qantas' First Class over from DFW last night was pretty good. Best airline bed I have ever slept on. No JWB tho...
I had the opportunity to fly QF8 in July and would 100% agree. I was transiting, so decided to use the F lounge at SYD and the lounge staff weren't quite clear on the F to J lounge rules.

So, I'd expect some confusion with this.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I'm sitting in Qantas' Business Lounge at SYD right now and I am most impressed. I've got about ten flights around Australia in the coming days - all in Business Class. I'll let you know what happens when I try to access a Qantas Club as opposed to the Business Class Lounge
The Business Lounge's are 1 step above the Qantas club lounge. Not all airports have a QF business in lounge. May have only have a QF club lounge.
There have have times when I have moved from the Business Lounge to the QF club due to overcrowding. Less people in the QF club.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Initially denied in Singapore as they told me that Alaska is not a partner. I waited for them to have their say. Supervisor also confirmed that I was not able to enter. I then politely asked them to look at their system and showed them my copy.

After 5 minutes - confirmed. I am their first Alaskan member to enter Singapore Qantas lounge.

YES - Beautiful open lounge. Gotta love the booze cart being pushed around by a man in a white suit (Mr. Ali) serving ice cold beer from the tap.

Last edited by davistev; Sep 10, 2017 at 5:26 am
Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: QFF EK
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The Business Lounge's are 1 step above the Qantas club lounge. Not all airports have a QF business in lounge. May have only have a QF club lounge.
There have have times when I have moved from the Business Lounge to the QF club due to overcrowding. Less people in the QF club.

Many times I have left the Business Lounge due to standing room only and gone to the QP (Qantas Pub) where the food offerings are quite OK...
Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
A very good point. I think key is the connecting international QF flight but .....
We're Alaska Lounge members and notice the wording on the Alaska Lounge locations and hours page reads as follows:

Alaska Lounge members have access to the select Qantas Club locations listed below when departing that day on a purchased or redeemed-mileage ticket on Qantas. When traveling on Qantas, members also get complimentary access for their immediate family (spouse or domestic partner and children under the age of 21) or two guests. Guests must also depart that day on the same Qantas flight. Alaska Lounge members and their guests do not have access to Qantas First Lounges.
For members at least there's apparently no distinction between domestic and international flights.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Flew nonstop SYD-ASP yesterday and noticed a Qantas Club at ASP. What a nice surprise for such a small airport! I'll be sure to ask about the conditions of entry upon my departure in a few days.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Melbourne Domestic Qantas Club let me in this morning. At first I was denied, he then made a phone call to the top Kangaroo and he said "OK". No distinction made between international or domestic flights.

Unlimited vegemite on toast - YES!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Initially denied in Singapore as they told me that Alaska is not a partner. I waited for them to have their say. Supervisor also confirmed that I was not able to enter. I then politely asked them to look at their system and showed them my copy.

After 5 minutes - confirmed. I am their first Alaskan member to enter Singapore Qantas lounge.

YES - Beautiful open lounge. Gotta love the booze cart being pushed around by a man in a white suit (Mr. Ali) serving ice cold beer from the tap.
Haha, you're not! I actually entered on 11 August. The lounge agents commented that it was the first time they have ever seen an Alaska Airlines MVP card.

I also entered the AKL Qantas Lounge. I was initially nervous, but the reception lady remarked, "Wow! I just read about it this morning!). This was back in 09 Aug 2017.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by solewalker
Haha, you're not! I actually entered on 11 August. The lounge agents commented that it was the first time they have ever seen an Alaska Airlines MVP card.

I also entered the AKL Qantas Lounge. I was initially nervous, but the reception lady remarked, "Wow! I just read about it this morning!). This was back in 09 Aug 2017.
darn!

Anyway - So far each lounge had denied me but they are willing to call to get verification. I guess I cannot ask for much more than that in the beginning stages. What a great benefit for Alaska Airline members. Qantas lounges are far superior to Alaska Airlines lounges in every way.
solewalker likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Qantas lounges are far superior to Alaska Airlines lounges in every way.
Gotta agree with you - I ate so much ice cream! (yes, I judge lounges/airlines by availability of ice cream)

I think it's great you're documenting your lounge access experience. Alaska's recent partnership with SQ barely registered a blip in Singapore.

Having lived in Seattle for years during grad school, I'm strangely attached to this lovely airline.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
darn!

Anyway - So far each lounge had denied me but they are willing to call to get verification. I guess I cannot ask for much more than that in the beginning stages. What a great benefit for Alaska Airline members. Qantas lounges are far superior to Alaska Airlines lounges in every way.

I will test a domestic only flight in a couple of months for the benefits of you AS fliers before pulling out the emerald status to get in if denied.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.