Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Who should be the next AS partner?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Speculation] Who should be the next AS partner?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So it must be OK to fly Air Koryo...
No, I don't think Air Koryo would be a good partner.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 98103
But they have a burger...
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:36 am

Why?

WN went from being an airline flying to 3 cities in Texas to the way they are today with zero partnerships with legacy airlines. AS has obviously chosen growth over partnerships and staying in a PNW niche with the VX purchase. So why can't we see if they grow?

Quite frankly B6 doesn't bring much to the table to AS, nor does AS for B6. A lot of transcon action is SfO/LAX-NYC. Obviously AS and B6 are competing there. Both airlines have weak presence midcon and off their coasts. There isn't a ton of pax flow Pacific NW connecting out of South Florida or OUT of NYC (SEA-JFK to someplace like say ORF isn't a great connection compared to ORD, and B6 isn't really building JFK as a connecting hub for AS pax). A dumbbell shaped network that treats 90% of the US as flyover country (or forces backtracking connections) isn't a great network.
Totally agreed with what you are saying here.

There are areas I do think AS and B6 could cooperate on, since they have not that many competing routes and are attacked by WN and DL domestically.

For example, B6 has imo the nicest terminal experience at JFK and is looking to expand with T6 and T7. It could certainly work with and including AS as part of the terminal arrangement. I heard rumour that AS and B6 will move to Marine air terminal at LGA. And I keep reading how terrible AS gates are at BOS, maybe B6 can share a gate or 2 with AS there. Same with MCO once B6 moves to terminal C, which will probably be the nicest terminal. Over at west coast, B6 could move to AS terminal at SFO and have a couple of nice looking gates there instead of international terminal. Not sure about LAX, since both are really constrained for space there. But maybe they can share gates at some of the secondary airports like BUR or SNA (if B6 gets slots there).
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
But they have a burger...
The Burger Partnership™ involves several carriers, including perennial favourite, CX. They offer this tasty snack mid-flight on its long haul flights.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by beckoa
The Burger Partnership™ involves several carriers, including perennial favourite, CX. They offer this tasty snack mid-flight on its long haul flights.
I had it on HKG-LAX in February. Not because I was especially hungry, but because I wanted to have a burger on a plane.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:58 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
How about LY as a partner? They fly to LA. They are "unaffiliated". It has been reported that Alaska planes have been spotted on 2 occasions at TLV
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Iberia is starting service from Madrid to SFO next summer. Seems like they could use a partnership with AS/VX since their partner American won't do much for them at SFO.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Having flown them, I can certainly appreciate their unique fleet. Good connections at PEK via Alaska partner Hainan as well. Plus, ever since Alaska stopped flying to Vladivostok, there haven't been any good options to get there via Alaska partners. This totally has potential.

Originally Posted by 98103
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
BA vs. Norwegian....

Norwegian's nonstop to London Gatwick is becoming attractive, but AS likely wouldn't want to jeopardize already established long-term relationship with BA. Oh well...

Jiburi
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiburi
BA vs. Norwegian....

Norwegian's nonstop to London Gatwick is becoming attractive, but AS likely wouldn't want to jeopardize already established long-term relationship with BA. Oh well...

Jiburi
Also, it's trickier partnering with an LCC/ULCC when you're a legacy airline. The furthest "down" AS seem to have gone so far in partners is Iceland Air, which is sort of halfway between a legacy and an LCC perhaps. But Norwegian's solidly in LCC/ULCC land.

Legacy airlines tend to use miles or something resembling that. LCC/ULCCs tend to have currency-based earning and redemption. It's hard to partner between the two because of the "incompatibility" of "loyalty currency" types.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by PDXpress
Iberia is starting service from Madrid to SFO next summer. Seems like they could use a partnership with AS/VX since their partner American won't do much for them at SFO.
I thought the same thing. A new SFO flight seemed to be the impetus to the Finnair partnership. Maybe Iberia is next?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Iberian is only 3x weekly for 4 months, I hardly see this as being a deciding factor in becoming partners for 1 seasonal flight and 1 flight out of LAX, which already has AA feed.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Also, it's trickier partnering with an LCC/ULCC when you're a legacy airline. The furthest "down" AS seem to have gone so far in partners is Iceland Air, which is sort of halfway between a legacy and an LCC perhaps. But Norwegian's solidly in LCC/ULCC land.

Legacy airlines tend to use miles or something resembling that. LCC/ULCCs tend to have currency-based earning and redemption. It's hard to partner between the two because of the "incompatibility" of "loyalty currency" types.
I'd argue that the "furthest down" AS has gone is DE, but similar idea to FI..
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by safari ari
Iberian is only 3x weekly for 4 months, I hardly see this as being a deciding factor in becoming partners for 1 seasonal flight and 1 flight out of LAX, which already has AA feed.
My understanding is that Finnair also flies a 3x weekly seasonal service to SFO, but maybe this has changed?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by Bretmd
My understanding is that Finnair also flies a 3x weekly seasonal service to SFO, but maybe this has changed?
No you are correct from May-September, I am still surprised by this, but also AY is planning on expanding more rapidly than IB, but I am still shocked at the partnership with AS. Any consolation, AY plans on flying to PVR in November.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.