Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Who should be the next AS partner?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS DL

I think EVA Air should be Alaska next partner. Air Canada (alternatively Westjet) would be another choice.

JetBlue would help with AA nearly dropping out in 2018 but that is not going to happen. Domestically, it's not going to be DL, AA, or UA. WN would also be alien though helpful.

Without AA or DL, it may be necessary to abandon AS in 2018.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
B6 would happen thru a merger
JPat and osotoc like this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Westjet could be in the realm of theoretical possibility, given that AS doesn't fly anywhere in Canada east of YEG, but why would BR or AC want/need to partner with AS? The latter seems to be getting along with UA just fine, so I doubt they're dying for another US airline for connections; the former seems to be filling two daily 777s SEA-TPE just fine without any feed on the SEA end, and they have UA and AC at their other west coast destinations. "A few elites want to earn and redeem on more airlines" isn't enough of a reason for AS to pursue a partnership, and AS already has plenty of earning and burning options in Asia between JL, CX, HU, and now SQ (and EK, I guess, if you feel like flying twice as far). Hell, TPE and HKG are only, what, an hour's flight apart? All AS flyers get is earning on US-TPE directs and access to a bit more award space, while possibly pissing off CX, the partner with the best values on premium cabin awards.

I agree, though, that the loss of DL and near-loss of AA hurts a lot: it's part of why I likely won't be able to maintain MVP after next year despite still planning to fly 50k+ annually. But it's Europe, not Asia, that's their international partnership weak zone, especially in terms of what's available from SEA and PDX. I actually like FI and plan to keep flying them when convenient, but 25% earnings on deep-discount Y won't get me very far, and there are a lot of destinations that they and DE just don't serve. And BA's... BA.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:52 am

Hi -

The point of partners is to help drive traffic back and forth in a timely efficient manner to expend their footprint and their brand.

SO, I suggest that AS move to do this with QX.
HomerJay likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: MVPGold 75K
I hope lh

I hope LH orSWISS or Austria. That would help quote a bit. For us options, I am not sure
Old Sep 5, 2017, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
If anything it will be another VX partner.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Westjet pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase!!!

Neil
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Without a domestic partner for AS, another niche international partnership is meaningless to me. I would like to see a pooling / reciprocal-credit arrangement with TrueBlue, but I have no illusions about the odds.

I'm not going to reattain MP status for 2018 and the wrapup of the AA arrangement means this is the end of the line for me and AS. MP is still a good program as of now, but I assume it will degenerate over the next few years like all the others.
synergistic likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by CDKing
If anything it will be another VX partner.
The only other VX partners out there besides SQ are:

VA - already has extensive agreement with DL
HA - Too much overlap, and beyond HI is largely covered by other partners.
EK - Already an AS partner

Even though it won't bring much, I'd like to see them staple on Thomas Cook UK.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by 98103
The only other VX partners out there besides SQ are:

VA - already has extensive agreement with DL
EK - Already an AS partner

Even though it won't bring much, I'd like to see them staple on Thomas Cook UK.
MU, CZ, and CI are all VX codeshare, but not Elevate, partners. Until now, for AS being a codeshare partner was necessary and sufficient for being a mileage partner.

All three of those are ST, but MU has a variety of partners outside ST as well. Thus it might be the most likely of the three to become a partner (but I wouldn't hold my breath).
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVP
Originally Posted by 98103
I would love if HA became a partner so I could choose solely by price rather than price + mileage earning (we fly SEA-OGG every year or so), but I agree that it's probably never going to be a partner with Alaska. Way too much overlap.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Ill take MU with all the great fares posted recently
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:23 am

Agree weak spot is Europe, but they did recently gain Condor. That may be the kind of partner (along with IcelandAir) they want (or are able) to get without joining a major alliance. They already have BA/KL/AF, which may be enough for the major airlines for them. Air Europa anyone?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:35 pm

LH would be my #1 choice if they added someone else, BR would be #2 . NZ would also be nice, but I don't know if Qantas would like that. IB, QR, and EI (in that order) would also be pretty handy, but if they add LH I could probably avoid flying any of them.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by quemalo
LH would be my #1 choice if they added someone else, BR would be #2 . NZ would also be nice, but I don't know if Qantas would like that. IB, QR, and EI (in that order) would also be pretty handy, but if they add LH I could probably avoid flying any of them.
EI actually might have a shot as IAG exerts more control and they drift away from UA, given that they serve LAX and SFO; depends on whether they go full OneWorld flagbearer and stick with AA for their domestic connections or keep using B6 for their east coast feed. IB only serves LAX--a much more substantial hub for AA than AS--seasonally, and QR might annoy EK, especially given the current political situation in the gulf. LH would certainly help SEA-Europe, but they're in a transatlantic JV with UA and AC.
Originally Posted by MahiMahi524
Agree weak spot is Europe, but they did recently gain Condor. That may be the kind of partner (along with IcelandAir) they want (or are able) to get without joining a major alliance. They already have BA/KL/AF, which may be enough for the major airlines for them. Air Europa anyone?
A partner hubbed on the Iberian Peninsula would be nice, but the closest UX comes to the west coast is LAS (seasonally). FI and DE help substantially--and I really appreciate that their fare structures, unlike DL's, allow me to buy one-ways at reasonable prices when I'm putting together complex itineraries--but they're leisure airlines with more limited schedules with the alternative. Doing some research for a future RTW, the current DE schedule will allow me to do NAP-MUC-SEA on a Monday, but not the Sunday that'd be ideal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.