Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wine shortage?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Location: Seattle, WA & Red Lodge, MT (USA) and Cumbria, England
Programs: AA Platinum for Life, AS MVP Gold 100K, Marriott Titanium for Life, Hilton Diamond
Wine shortage?

I flew SEA to AUS a couple of weeks ago, and after having a glass of white wine with my lunch, I asked for a second glass. The FA poured half a glass, and said "that's all I have." I chuckled and said, "That's all you have in that bottle, but you have more bottles, right?" She said no -- the almost 4-hour flight with 16 first class seats had been catered with one bottle of white, one bottle of rose, and one bottle of red. A few of us had asked for white with the lunch service, and it was gone. Needless to say, the white wine drinkers were not happy.

I figured it was a fluke, but then I flew SNA to SEA the other day, and the exact same thing happened. One bottle of white, one bottle of rose, and one bottle of red for a late lunch flight with 12 first class seats. I asked for a second glass of white from the back, but was told I could only have one because they needed those bottles for coach.

Is this a new (very, very annoying) thing?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Go to www.alaskalistens.com and let them know.

Neil
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I agree, this needs to be feedback. 3 bottles split across 16 people isn't even enough for one per person, as each bottle is 4-5 glasses depending on the pour. Clearly not everyone drinks wine, but it's a little shortsighted to assume that a good number of people will not, particularly when AS tries to bring such pomp and circumstance to its beverage selections.

However, this is the first time I've heard of 3 options for wine on a flight, so that's a positive. It has always been just white and red, if the rose is a good one, then that is a ^ addition.

I always love flying Air New Zealand because of the nearly limitless selection of very good, "locally sourced" wine options.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Red L
I flew SEA to AUS a couple of weeks ago, and after having a glass of white wine with my lunch, I asked for a second glass. The FA poured half a glass, and said "that's all I have." I chuckled and said, "That's all you have in that bottle, but you have more bottles, right?" She said no -- the almost 4-hour flight with 16 first class seats had been catered with one bottle of white, one bottle of rose, and one bottle of red. A few of us had asked for white with the lunch service, and it was gone. Needless to say, the white wine drinkers were not happy.

I figured it was a fluke, but then I flew SNA to SEA the other day, and the exact same thing happened. One bottle of white, one bottle of rose, and one bottle of red for a late lunch flight with 12 first class seats. I asked for a second glass of white from the back, but was told I could only have one because they needed those bottles for coach.

Is this a new (very, very annoying) thing?
Just three bottles of wine for the entire first class cabin on the flight? Oh noooooooooo! That's not just very annoying, it's downright cruel.

I hope they correct this catering problem before my next flights in less than 2 weeks.

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
However, this is the first time I've heard of 3 options for wine on a flight, so that's a positive. It has always been just white and red, if the rose is a good one, then that is a ^ addition.
Don't hold your breath. Provisioning of rosé is just a summer promotion this year, from the not-so-notable "Chateau du House Wine."
"House Wine Rosé will become a seasonal offering for purchase on most Alaska Airlines flights from July 1 through Aug. 31. Made with grapes from the Columbia Valley, the Washington rosé will provide guests a new, crisp, light summer wine option in addition to the existing offerings from Canoe Ridge Vineyard and LaMarca in the main cabin and Chateau Ste. Michelle in first class."
Read the full press release here.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
When will AS start offering Dom?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
When will AS start offering Dom?
Let me go out and check if there are some pigs in the sky?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:32 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Provisioning of rosé is just a summer promotion this year, from the not-so-notable "Chateau du House Wine."
The reemergence of rosé as a trend (#roséallday) reminds me that what is old eventually is new again...and that I'm getting older.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum for Life, AS MVP Gold 100K, Marriott Titanium for Life, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by missamo80
Go to www.alaskalistens.com and let them know.

Neil
I did contact AlaskaListens and got a canned answer ("we'll send your suggestion along to our in-flight beverage manager").

And, as AKCuisine noted, compared to the usual offerings the rosé is nothing to write home about.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

I flew SEA to SNA just after noon yesterday (lunch flight), and the wine situation in first class was similar to these other examples, but slightly different.

One bottle of white, one bottle of rose. But four bottles of red. The FA had no idea why, but commented she had been getting only one bottle of white more and more, regardless of flight duration or time of day.

I'm flying to Orlando on Sunday. Hopefully the transcons are being catered a little more realistically.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I'm happy with that ratio of white to red
steve64 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.