Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
More $ for MVP75 F upgrade than for F

I haven't seen this before...

Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
not at all uncommon SEA<-->LAX ($253 for MVPG vs $300+ for the general public)
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Well, yeah, this happens. Even 75K instant upgrade fares are relatively high up on the coach fare food chain. They just happen to have deep-discount F available.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:08 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
"Well yeah"??????????

this is a bit insulting to common sense. IMO.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It's a discount F fare bucket for 4 1/2 months out; it is a sucker bet that it doesn't apply to the entire F cabin and it won't be available close in like that expensive Y fare bucket will.

Understandable if you do revenue management. If you think AS is dumb just buy the cheap F fare now and laugh at getting a good deal. ALK's numbers over the years indicate that they probably know how to run an airline revenue management system.
akdancer likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
There was a thread about this a while back, specifically why people would buy the (higher) upgradeable fare vs discount F.

I've seen discount F < instant upgrade fares somewhat frequently on competitive or higher-frequency routes. DEN and LAS fairly often.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:51 am
Original Poster

From a dynamic pricing perspective you would think that the higher coach fare buckets would top out at the discount F buckets, and then ratchet up as the discount F buckets fill up. So it would look like a standard demand curve. Rather than AS "knows what they're doing" this looks like a symptom of limited IT systems.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
happens often on regional n/s flights along the west coast when the P bucket is open
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
When I see this type of pricing I usually bite and buy the discounted F seat for the extra EQMs, but I can't help but think it's almost some sort of marketing trick to get me to spend more than I would've on the regular coach fare.. That said, knowing you'll be in F for sure is always better than playing the odds..

One time the upgradable fare is "preferred" over the discounted F is when using discount or companion codes, which are not eligible for use w/ discounted F fares..
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SFOPeter
From a dynamic pricing perspective you would think that the higher coach fare buckets would top out at the discount F buckets, and then ratchet up as the discount F buckets fill up. So it would look like a standard demand curve. Rather than AS "knows what they're doing" this looks like a symptom of limited IT systems.
No they wouldn't. Why would they sell refundable Y for less than $160 when they know they can get more from passengers who either value the flexibility or are required by company policy to buy refundable tickets?

Rather than you "knowing what you're talking about" this looks like limited knowledge of fare pricing.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I think two things are in play here.

1. DL is offering low-ball F fares in/out of SEA. Apparently, they can't sell F at the normally high prices -- so they have substantially cut the price in many markets.

2. AS has started to apply more aggressive revenue management to the F cabin. Obviously, they are still working to get the connection between F and Y fares straightened out. Due to these MVPG upgradable fares, there is a strong link between the Y and F cabin fares.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Their revenue management is all over the place. Check out this one from the VX side of the house:
Attached Images  
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by channa
Their revenue management is all over the place. Check out this one from the VX side of the house:
Looks like its some anomaly. Looking at several sample dates on that route i cant find any where MCS is higher than main cabin. Most of the dates are only $50-70 one way while MCS is at least double. I cant recreate what your screenshot shows, my only guess is the MCS is restricted and the main cabin is less restricted.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by channa
I've seen that before with VX. -shrug-
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jinglish
No they wouldn't. Why would they sell refundable Y for less than $160 when they know they can get more from passengers who either value the flexibility or are required by company policy to buy refundable tickets?

Rather than you "knowing what you're talking about" this looks like limited knowledge of fare pricing.
Because the fare is not refundable Y.

MVP75's can upgrade these fare classes: Y, S, B, M, H

Only Y is refundable according to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...s-buckets.html

I don't have an ExpertFlyer subscription anymore, but here is some data:

When I click refundable on this page, the coach price jumps to $399, so I am assuming Y is $399 as it is the only refundable coach fare.

When I add the F upgrade fare to cart and check the fare rules, it says nonrefundable, so the F upgrade is based on S, B, M or H.

This leaves one or more of S, B, M, H priced at more than discount F, none of which are refundable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.