Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's going on with PDX-BUR?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

What's going on with PDX-BUR?

Looking to book flights for weekends in PDX from BUR over the next few months, and the schedule seems to have been pared back to 2 flights a day, both at rather inconvenient times. My husband and I have been flying from BUR-PDX and back once or twice a month for the last 10+ years, always out on a Friday afternoon/evening (anywhere from 3-5pm) and back on Sunday afternoon/evening (anywhere from 4-7pm). We've also taken the occasional Monday early morning flight.

Now, flights are midday or late evening on Friday and morning or midday on Sundays. The earliest Monday morning flight leaves after 9am.

Is this a temporary shift, or something permanent as AS refocuses to other markets? Just starting to wonder if I need to start looking at other airports and carriers...

Thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Buster
Looking to book flights for weekends in PDX from BUR over the next few months, and the schedule seems to have been pared back to 2 flights a day, both at rather inconvenient times. My husband and I have been flying from BUR-PDX and back once or twice a month for the last 10+ years, always out on a Friday afternoon/evening (anywhere from 3-5pm) and back on Sunday afternoon/evening (anywhere from 4-7pm). We've also taken the occasional Monday early morning flight.

Now, flights are midday or late evening on Friday and morning or midday on Sundays. The earliest Monday morning flight leaves after 9am.

Is this a temporary shift, or something permanent as AS refocuses to other markets? Just starting to wonder if I need to start looking at other airports and carriers...

Thanks!
BUR is one of those markets that seems to be being picked up by AS mainline, but my guess is that the scheduling is timed to fill-in gaps with the SEA-BUR flights. If the price isn't much higher, I always look for PDX-SEA-BUR combos since you end up getting an extra 500+ EQMs with minimal extra time spent getting there.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
BUR is one of those markets that seems to be being picked up by AS mainline, but my guess is that the scheduling is timed to fill-in gaps with the SEA-BUR flights. If the price isn't much higher, I always look for PDX-SEA-BUR combos since you end up getting an extra 500+ EQMs with minimal extra time spent getting there.
Which would hardly be worth it with all the problems Horizon has been having.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:25 pm

Thanks!
Looks like another victim of the Horizon pilot problem. They seem to be cancelling your desired flight for a few weekends each month. You really can't count on any Horizon flight operating for sure until they sort that issue out.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Looks like another victim of the Horizon pilot problem. They seem to be cancelling your desired flight for a few weekends each month. You really can't count on any Horizon flight operating for sure until they sort that issue out.
Last time I flew PDX-BUR it was OO-operated, and all three flights tomorrow are in the 3xxx flight number range.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jinglish
Last time I flew PDX-BUR it was OO-operated, and all three flights tomorrow are in the 3xxx flight number range.
This has been the case since OO came on the scene a few years ago, but starting in November, it looks like the Friday is now a Horizon flight and the Sunday a mainline flight.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:58 pm

This has been the case since OO came on the scene a few years ago, but starting in November, it looks like the Friday is now a Horizon flight and the Sunday a mainline flight.
Yes and as AS probably has no clear idea as to how many pilots they will actual have operating the Horizon flights, so some days it is scheduled and some days it is not. The schedule may be further changed or the flights cancelled all together if the amount of pilots ends up being less than expected.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:02 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I always look for PDX-SEA-BUR combos since you end up getting an extra 500+ EQMs with minimal extra time spent getting there.
Many business travelers prefer not to double the time needed for a 110-minute flight.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold

Thanks!
Lack of pilots on Horizon has resulted in cutbacks across the network and planes and pilots being re-routed.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dayone
Many business travelers prefer not to double the time needed for a 110-minute flight.
The flight times also don't seem to line up very well. We can leave PDX at 4:20 on Sunday...and get in to BUR at 9:59. Sorry, but I'm not doing 5+ hours for what used to be an easy 2 hour flight. If I have to connect, I'll do it on Southwest and pay several hundred dollars less.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG
If I have to connect, I'll do it on Southwest and pay several hundred dollars less.
Or better yet, take the 1x/day Southwest nonstop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.