Search

Alaska Delayed/Canceled Compensation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:44 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by atchie
Received an email with $250 voucher
Does this seem reasonable?
It's at the low end of reasonable. The high end would be $350.

I'd take it and move on.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:09 pm

100% - will put it towards a return trip to kauai
williwaw likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atchie
4/7/19
Lihue to San Diego scheduled to leave at 12:10pm.
Delayed till 3:12 (not sure reason?)
Delayed again till 5:50 (pilots timed out)
Delayed again and finally take off at 11:03pm, arrive in SAN at 7am (10hrs25min late)
Received an email with $250 voucher
Does this seem reasonable?
They were certainly proactive in reaching out but ufffff 10 hours late and then doing a red eye with two young kids.

**Update**
Reached out via twitter, they were quick to respond. The gist of their response: compensation is based on length of delay so that everyone is compensated equally. In fairness to the rest of the guests, these automated gestures cannot be increased.
$250 just for you or $250 per passenger? You mentioned 2 young kids... were you a party of 3? 4? More?

Last edited by VegasGambler; Apr 9, 2019 at 5:02 pm
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:36 am

Sorry should have clarified - $250 per passenger ( there were 4 of us total)
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
4/5 SFO-BOS redeye, upgrade confirmed on the VX 320.

Flight canceled about 3 hours out due to crew. Rebooked on UA (1 hour earlier, also nonstop). Lost the upgrade obviously. No time impact, just upgrade hit. Agent offered $100/each in certs when I pointed that out. Requested Original Routing Credit by email on Friday, it was posted in the account by Sunday. Faster mileage posting than had I actually flown the flight.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
4/14 - SFO - JFK (last night). Supposed to land at 10:20pm, landed at 4am. 2 of us, both had purchased premium econ. Had put in for an MVP upgrade, but of course that wasn't happening.

Not weather related at all, entirely mechanical and operational issues. Boarded the plane on time for 1:15 takeoff, cabin was incredibly hot/stuffy, and although doors closed, plane never moved. Eventually deplaned, had to swap planes, everyone needed new boarding passes. Back on board at 5ish, then sit waiting for 2ish hours for catering (captain even promised a catering supervisor to come talk to us at one point...never happened). When we finally landed, 45 minutes for bags to show up.

Just got the email with $125 per person. That seems about in line with what I see here?

That said, I'm tempted to ask for more just because I HATE redeye flights and tried to switch to another flight for the next afternoon (and would have booked a hotel room on my own dime) as soon as it became apparent this was becoming one...was told I could not, that "the airport hadn't released the seats." I'm a walking zombie at work today and could have just as easily worked the day from Cali and flown home at a normal hour today. $125 doesn't quite make up for that.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:17 am

This is *exactly* how I felt about our flight last week that ended up being a red eye - try reaching out on twitter and asking for increased compensation (they told me to pound sand LOL but it's worth a shot)
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerStef
4/14 - SFO - JFK (last night). Supposed to land at 10:20pm, landed at 4am. 2 of us, both had purchased premium econ. Had put in for an MVP upgrade, but of course that wasn't happening.

Not weather related at all, entirely mechanical and operational issues. Boarded the plane on time for 1:15 takeoff, cabin was incredibly hot/stuffy, and although doors closed, plane never moved. Eventually deplaned, had to swap planes, everyone needed new boarding passes. Back on board at 5ish, then sit waiting for 2ish hours for catering (captain even promised a catering supervisor to come talk to us at one point...never happened). When we finally landed, 45 minutes for bags to show up.

Just got the email with $125 per person. That seems about in line with what I see here?

That said, I'm tempted to ask for more just because I HATE redeye flights and tried to switch to another flight for the next afternoon (and would have booked a hotel room on my own dime) as soon as it became apparent this was becoming one...was told I could not, that "the airport hadn't released the seats." I'm a walking zombie at work today and could have just as easily worked the day from Cali and flown home at a normal hour today. $125 doesn't quite make up for that.
It can't hurt to ask for more. And don't forget to claim your voucher or miles for the bags being more than a 20 min wait.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
I was on that same flight (AS 1024, right) in paid first class. I received a $150 credit code this morning. Incidentally, First had no real food service and there was no wifi so I couldn't get the work done I needed to do. Disappointing.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
4/12/19
SJC to SAN scheduled to leave at 3:40 PM
Initially delayed to 7:45 PM due to plane going MX in BUR
New scheduled departure time bounced around, finally settling in at 6:20 PM
At boarding time, flight canceled due to crew time (pax received app notification before airport staff knew of the cancel)
Moved to 9:40 PM departure from SFO, Alaska paid for an Uber to SFO
Received an email with $200 voucher per person

The most frustrating part is that Alaska refused proactive rebooking options that would've allowed an earlier arrival into SAN with a connection (including options on AS metal) because they were certain they would be able to reduce the delay through aircraft swaps. The gate agents were entirely caught off guard when the pax knew of the cancellation before they did, and continued to refuse rebooking for 20 minutes while insisting that the crew would agree to operate the flight and it would be reinstated. Obviously, the flight was not reinstated and the resulting chaos was handled very poorly.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: MU*G, AS, B6, WN*A-List, Marriott*G
PAE-SJC in the paid first class. No elite status.
Got on the plane, waited for 30 minutes, returned to the gate, waited for another 3 hours, and canceled due to a mech problem.

Because there's no other route available from PAE that day, I was rebooked onto a SEA-SJC flight on the second day and I needed to call an Uber to get back to Seattle. (There was still availability of SEA-SJC very late on the same day but I chose not to)

Received a $200 voucher through automatic email. The gate agent told me I can also get my Uber reimbursed ($40-ish) as I sent the customer care my receipt. I haven't done that though.

Should I argue for more?

Last edited by amamoyou; May 21, 2019 at 11:50 am
Old May 21, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amamoyou
Got on the plane, waited for 30 minutes, returned to the gate, waited for another 3 hours, and canceled due to a mech problem.

Because there's no other route available from PAE that day, I was rebooked onto a SEA-SJC flight on the second day and I needed to call an Uber to get back to Seattle. (There was still availability of SEA-SJC very late on the same day but I chose not to)

Received a $200 voucher through automatic email. The gate agent told me I can also get my Uber reimbursed ($40-ish) as I sent the customer care my receipt. I haven't done that though.

Should I argue for more?
I doubt you will get more but it can't hurt to ask.

Did you get a voucher or a discount code? Usually they give discount codes.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K

Should I argue for more?
Were you in F on the SEA-SJC flight? I assume you weren't offered a lodging voucher since you declined the later flight option.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: MU*G, AS, B6, WN*A-List, Marriott*G
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Were you in F on the SEA-SJC flight? I assume you weren't offered a lodging voucher since you declined the later flight option.
Yes I am booked in F for SEA-SJC. They have never mentioned a lodging voucher, though.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Yes I am booked in F for SEA-SJC. They have never mentioned a lodging voucher, though.
It's good that you're still in F. $200 is probably all you'll get then from AS, as they aren't known for exceptional compensation levels.

As much as I rag on United, they recently gave me $150 and 10,000 miles for a weather related delay, and I was non-status on an award ticket...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.