Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Status Calculator Tool

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
AS Status Calculator Tool

Hi Everyone,

I was trying to calculate whether or not my existing flights for 2017 would get me to MVP Gold 75K status this year and made an excel spreadsheet I thought I would share with everyone. Here is a Dropbox link to the file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0x2o4i4i52icscg/Voldoo_AS_StatusCalculator%20-%202018.xlsx?dl=0

The spreadsheet is pretty self-explanatory.........basically you enter your starting mileage and status levels. Afterwards, use the table to enter your individual flight segments be completing the following required fields:
  • Airline
  • Ticket Class
  • Miles Flown
The spreadsheet will automatically calculate your EQMs, and MileagePlan miles based on the mileage flown and your status.

Please keep in mind this sheet calculates this based on CURRENT partner mileage redemption rates. I do not plan on updating the spreadsheet myself, but intermediate to advanced users should be able to make necessary adjustments to mileage rates and partners going forward.

I found this quite helpful in figuring which mileage runs would be most helpful so I figured I would share it in hopes some of you are able to use it as well.

Best,

Voldoo
SanDiego1K, rune87 and captobie like this.

Last edited by Voldoo; Sep 6, 2018 at 8:48 am
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
This is helpful- thanks! I've been trying to track/plan on my own, but somehow my calculations seem to vary a bit from what AS's tier status tracker shows after my flights.

One of my biggest pet peeves with the AS website is that they do not separately show the EQM-earnings on the mileage plan activity page, lumping together elite status/other non EQM bonuses w/ class of service, etc that do.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Just a heads up after putting in my first entry, the class of service bonuses for AS are in the wrong category for EQM earning (e.g. F or P should earn 175% EQM, not just RDM). I moved it in my own copy, but others may want to also update.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Just a heads up after putting in my first entry, the class of service bonuses for AS are in the wrong category for EQM earning (e.g. F or P should earn 175% EQM, not just RDM). I moved it in my own copy, but others may want to also update.
Thanks for pointing that out, be_rettSEA!

I made the correction so the link is updated with the new version.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I had a minor issue with entering an AA flight - my booking class is "O" and when I select that the EQM/RDM values get fubared...I think the issue is the '-' character in the class bonus lookup table(s)

Very useful tool!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rich Boykin
I had a minor issue with entering an AA flight - my booking class is "O" and when I select that the EQM/RDM values get fubared...I think the issue is the '-' character in the class bonus lookup table(s)

Very useful tool!
Thanks for pointing that out........you are correct is was the "-" that was causing the lookup issue. That has been fixed (for all airlines) as well as the fix for the status levels (25K, 50K, 90K)

I'll start tracking corrections in a version tab if people find more. Cheers!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Pardon my ignorance as I'm new to FT (and Mileage Plan)...

I DL'd the spreadsheet and entered my flights for the year. I started with 0 miles, and entered only flights on Alaska up to 20k. A flight in Alaska first (F class, I'm assuming, despite my booking saying A) takes me over 20k EQM (22,671 to be exact) but the next-year status does not reflect a change in status to MVP. A first class flight (U class??) 3 days later on AA bumps me to 27.7k, and get an acknowledgement of MVP from the chart. Any reason why it takes the second flight?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 91foxbody
Pardon my ignorance as I'm new to FT (and Mileage Plan)...

I DL'd the spreadsheet and entered my flights for the year. I started with 0 miles, and entered only flights on Alaska up to 20k. A flight in Alaska first (F class, I'm assuming, despite my booking saying A) takes me over 20k EQM (22,671 to be exact) but the next-year status does not reflect a change in status to MVP. A first class flight (U class??) 3 days later on AA bumps me to 27.7k, and get an acknowledgement of MVP from the chart. Any reason why it takes the second flight?

Hello 91foxbody,

There are two ways to earn status on AS; one by flying only AS-operated flights and the other flying any combination of AS flights and their partners. The spreadsheet assumes ONLY that the user earns status via the route flying AS and their partners (which is why the status level does not change after you are passing the 20K threshold on Alaska flights). The status levels can be reached by achieving the following EQM levels within a single year:
  • · MVP: 25,000 EQMs
  • · MVP Gold: 50,000 EQMs
  • · MVP Gold 75K: 90,000 EQMs

EQMs are calculated by multiplying the actual miles flown multiplied by any fare class bonuses (or reductions). So, for your particular example, any flights you fly in Alaska F class will yield an EQM bonus of 75%. Example: a 1,000 mile flight would yield (1,000 miles flown + 750 bonus) = 1,750 EQMs. A full explanation can be found here:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-benefits.aspx

Earning miles on Alaska partners depends on ticket class and airline. Here is a link to the partner earning charts:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Hope that helps!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Is there a way to edit the sheet to change the EQM assumption? Right now it assumes you meet based on partners and Alaska. What if all you fly is Alaska metal and no partners? Otherwise very nice work.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by rune87
Is there a way to edit the sheet to change the EQM assumption? Right now it assumes you meet based on partners and Alaska. What if all you fly is Alaska metal and no partners? Otherwise very nice work.
Edit the level values in the calculated field in cell I10 - the value for each status after the ">" character. This should cascade down the rest of the table and update the rest of the fields in column I.

20k, 40k, 75k for AS only
25k, 50k, 90k for AS + partners
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by EbonyTatas
Hello 91foxbody,

There are two ways to earn status on AS; one by flying only AS-operated flights and the other flying any combination of AS flights and their partners. The spreadsheet assumes ONLY that the user earns status via the route flying AS and their partners (which is why the status level does not change after you are passing the 20K threshold on Alaska flights). The status levels can be reached by achieving the following EQM levels within a single year:
  • · MVP: 25,000 EQMs
  • · MVP Gold: 50,000 EQMs
  • · MVP Gold 75K: 90,000 EQMs

EQMs are calculated by multiplying the actual miles flown multiplied by any fare class bonuses (or reductions). So, for your particular example, any flights you fly in Alaska F class will yield an EQM bonus of 75%. Example: a 1,000 mile flight would yield (1,000 miles flown + 750 bonus) = 1,750 EQMs. A full explanation can be found here:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-benefits.aspx

Earning miles on Alaska partners depends on ticket class and airline. Here is a link to the partner earning charts:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Hope that helps!
That helps a bit, but I think I'm still missing something. All of my flights will be on Alaska metal, so why would I need to meet the 25k instead of 20k threshold?

Here's my chart:
Attached Images  
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:50 pm

That helps a bit, but I think I'm still missing something. All of my flights will be on Alaska metal, so why would I need to meet the 25k instead of 20k threshold?

Here's my chart:
see my post above about changing the assumption the spreadsheet makes - it's a calculated field that has the earning levels hardcoded to the AS+partner levels. Re-set the values in cell I10 to those of just AS and it will work for you.

It would be somewhat tough to program that logic to check for 'all AS' vs 'AS + partner' without some VBA code to do it....
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rune87

Hi Rune.

Great idea.....this was not a feature I thought to include since I wouldn't even think of qualifying with only AS flights. I've updated the spreadsheet to allow for tracking of status qualifications using either earning track (AS or AS + Partners)

Last edited by Voldoo; Jul 18, 2017 at 4:01 pm
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

HI FoxBody,

You weren't doing anything wrong, I just hadn't created a way to calculate status based on AS flights only. The new version allows you to track your qualifications using either method now (AS vs. AS + partner flights).

Column I (Next Year Status) now calculates by calculating total EQM miles vs. total EQM AS-only miles and updates status level based on which threshold-level is reached first.

Please note Row 3 (Starting EQM Balances). Use Cells B3 & E3 to differentiate betwen starting EQM miles and starting AS EQM miles. Hope that makes sense!

EDIT: Thanks Rich!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Voldoo; Jul 18, 2017 at 4:32 pm Reason: Forget to add info
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:08 pm

Rich/Ebony, thanks very much I dug through the code afterwards and figured out the limit issue. Much appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.