Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

JetBlue mint service coming to Seattle - reduced fares for Alaska (and Delta)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:18 am
Original Poster

So JetBlue just announced Seattle to BOS/JFK in lie-flat mint class starting Feb 2018 (their schedule just opened), where one-way non-stop fares are about $550 if I check on google flights.

This is a route where Alaska typically charge over $700-900 one-way in first class. Delta inexplicably charges $2000 one-way (who buys that?). Even United to EWR charges high.

Really excited that given a lie-flat option for $550, this will force Alaska and Delta to bring down their NYC and Boston fares also for their non-lie-flat seats.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by nomii
Really excited that given a lie-flat option for $550, this will force Alaska and Delta to bring down their NYC and Boston fares also for their non-lie-flat seats.
It depends.

If the Seattleites prefer a lesser product for more money but from a local business, AS may be able to still command a premium and not lose too much business.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by nomii
So JetBlue just announced Seattle to BOS/JFK in lie-flat mint class starting Feb 2018 (their schedule just opened), where one-way non-stop fares are about $550 if I check on google flights.

This is a route where Alaska typically charge over $700-900 one-way in first class. Delta inexplicably charges $2000 one-way (who buys that?). Even United to EWR charges high.

This is the first AS F head to head with discount lieflat! And will give us some insight into what will happen at SFO. Pragmatically they will have to charge less than B6 but who knows what will happen...
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SFOPeter
This is the first AS F head to head with discount lieflat! And will give us some insight into what will happen at SFO. Pragmatically they will have to charge less than B6 but who knows what will happen...
It is not only a nice seat, but a lovely service. The only reason to fly AS, fares equal or similar, would be if I needed EQMs. (Also note that those B6 fares aren't "last seat" fares, so your lie flat seat could cost over double that.)
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFOPeter
This is the first AS F head to head with discount lieflat!
B6 already flies BOS-SAN with Mint...
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:44 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
note that those B6 fares aren't "last seat" fares, so your lie flat seat could cost over double that.
This is a very key point.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
This is as good a place as any to mention that if you head over to the Jet Blue form, you will see a thread with a link to request Mosaic status if you are Alaska Gold or 75K (2017 instantly, with a 2018 challenge available).
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
This is as good a place as any to mention that if you head over to the Jet Blue form, you will see a thread with a link to request Mosaic status if you are Alaska Gold or 75K (2017 instantly, with a 2018 challenge available).
What's frustrating about that is that they'll match DL or UA Silver, but not MVP or AA Gold. Might give it a shot anyway.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by BOSTravels
B6 already flies BOS-SAN with Mint...
Hah you're right, I didn't notice that one. Looks like AS is pricing equivalent to B6... really should be $100 less. No one who doesn't need the qualifying miles is going to pay that.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:57 am
Suspended

I wonder how DL F compares to AS F on BOS-SEA...
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by BOSTravels
I wonder how DL F compares to AS F on BOS-SEA...
if I had to guess, about the same as it compares on DTW/MSP/ATL-SEA (excepting, of course, the one ATL flight on a 763 with lie-flats)
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jrl767
if I had to guess, about the same as it compares on DTW/MSP/ATL-SEA (excepting, of course, the one ATL flight on a 763 with lie-flats)
So you wouldn't pay a premium for AS F?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:31 pm

Hi -

I would not pay a premium for AS F vs lie flat B6.

Also, B6 is bringing MINT to SEA-JFK as well as SEA-BOS.

B6 was successful in bringing down premium fares on the legacy carriers out of LAX and SFO, so I suspect it will be the same in SEA also.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
This is good news for transcon premium travel. The more options in this area that B6 is willing to offer and the more pricing pressure they can provide, the better IMO.

In addition for those travelers who continue to stick with AS for these routes, I suspect B6's introduction of a better premium product at a lower price might enhance upgrade opportunities as less inventory gets sold to folks who are buying F outright.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

I would not pay a premium for AS F vs lie flat B6.
I mean AS F viz DL F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.