Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QX cutting flights due to pilot shortage

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by LaneW
Just had my fourth cancellation (they try to call in re-scheduling) and this one is clear into November. Interestingly, on a Skywest E 175 from SEA to GEG.

I dont know what to do here - I have a lot of other flights booked and now have no confidence that they will fly. I fly out of GEG so my options are limited, and if I do what I am thinking and cancel all my AS flights and book on a more dependable airline, I will not make my 75K status this year..... which, at the moment seems useless anyway. I'm going to status match to Delta and change to them from now on, but hope to secure my status on AS for this year.

Is there ANY way to know the chances that what I have booked - and paid for - will actually fly, or should I just give up on this airline that I used to love?
Maybe try to get AS to rebook you onto DL, or at least GEG-SEA and status match to DL if you'd fly enough miles? And double dip the original routing credit? I know upthread others have been denied but perhaps as a 75K, you'd get better results.

AS doesn't, nor do they have any way to, guarantee the schedule. They seem to be cutting in advance and then again as they're unable to actual fly all of the remaining flights. Should they cut even further in advance and then end up with crews to fly but the flights are already canceled? It would give more certainty at the tradeoff of fewer scheduled flights.

My feeling is that AS, while speaking to the press, has not communicated to customers directly nor does it seem like a corner has been turned in recovery. Add to that AS seems to their usual stingy self when it comes to compensation and isn't following the pattern of throwing miles & travel certificates at customers as the big 3 often have done or rebooking without pushback.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
The more the schedule is unreliable, the faster they resolve their problem. Once everybody books away to another carrier, they won't have to worry about staffing any QX flights as there won't be any passengers left to fly.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rustykettel
My feeling is that AS, while speaking to the press, has not communicated to customers directly nor does it seem like a corner has been turned in recovery. Add to that AS seems to their usual stingy self when it comes to compensation and isn't following the pattern of throwing miles & travel certificates at customers as the big 3 often have done or rebooking without pushback.
This is my main beef with recent operations. This summer, I've had a mainline flight delayed 2 hours, a QX reschedule/pre-cancellation, and a QX/OO (not sure which it was) late night-before cancellation. Not a word from AS, either proactively or in response to Alaska Listens feedback. One botched rebooking and one refusal to put me on DL. DL sends apologies and surveys following short delays and overbooked flights.

For the rest of the year, I'm avoiding QX/OO and choosing mainline carriers based on price and schedule. I've already made Gold, but that'll likely cost me requalifying 75K.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:48 am

I hope other industries aren't watching the Horizon pilot debacle with envy. Who knows? Maybe behind closed doors it's considered a successful way to manage a problem and if a few customers are inconvenienced then that's too bad. We'll know that's happened if your HMO calls you the day before your heart surgery to tell you that the surgery is cancelled but instead you've been booked for a knee replacement the next day.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just got burned by this. I'm going to be commuting LA area (preferably BUR) to PDX regularly for the forseeable future and started switching over to AS in anticipation, since they have (at least on paper) a good BUR-PDX schedule.

First trip out and the outbound was fine, but now I get an email that PDX-BUR (on a QX E75) is cancelled for monday morning, so they're routing be through SJC. It turns a 2 hour trip into a 5+ hour trip and I have to move all my monday plans. It's a little short notice to book an alternate carrier at a reasonable price. United isn't looking so bad now...
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by LaneW
Just had my fourth cancellation (they try to call in re-scheduling) and this one is clear into November. Interestingly, on a Skywest E 175 from SEA to GEG.

I dont know what to do here - I have a lot of other flights booked and now have no confidence that they will fly. I fly out of GEG so my options are limited, and if I do what I am thinking and cancel all my AS flights and book on a more dependable airline, I will not make my 75K status this year..... which, at the moment seems useless anyway. I'm going to status match to Delta and change to them from now on, but hope to secure my status on AS for this year.

Is there ANY way to know the chances that what I have booked - and paid for - will actually fly, or should I just give up on this airline that I used to love?
On GEG-SEA flights, just be sure to book AS flights instead of QX/OO. They seem to be immune to the cancellation problems. AS operates 5-6 737 flights per day on this route.

On another note, I just booked a SEA-PDX flight on QX for the day after Thanksgiving... I feel like I'm just asking for trouble booking Horizon flights on one of the busiest travel days of the year.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137
I just got burned by this. I'm going to be commuting LA area (preferably BUR) to PDX regularly for the forseeable future and started switching over to AS in anticipation, since they have (at least on paper) a good BUR-PDX schedule.

First trip out and the outbound was fine, but now I get an email that PDX-BUR (on a QX E75) is cancelled for monday morning, so they're routing be through SJC. It turns a 2 hour trip into a 5+ hour trip and I have to move all my monday plans. It's a little short notice to book an alternate carrier at a reasonable price. United isn't looking so bad now...
At least BUR-PDX is transitioning to a full mainline schedule so you should be better off soon. They're just dabbling with 737s on PDX-OAK/SMF while mixing it up with Q400s and cancellations before returning to a full Q400 schedule (as it currently stands). No reason to be hopeful it'll get better.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by sturges
On another note, I just booked a SEA-PDX flight on QX for the day after Thanksgiving... I feel like I'm just asking for trouble booking Horizon flights on one of the busiest travel days of the year.
At least with SEA-PDX if they cancel your flight there are a large number of other direct flights they can move you on to.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
At least BUR-PDX is transitioning to a full mainline schedule so you should be better off soon. They're just dabbling with 737s on PDX-OAK/SMF while mixing it up with Q400s and cancellations before returning to a full Q400 schedule (as it currently stands). No reason to be hopeful it'll get better.
I kind of like the E75s. I have another RT later this month - half on QX and half on OO. We'll see what happens with that one...
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:15 pm

I kind of like the E75s. I have another RT later this month - half on QX and half on OO. We'll see what happens with that one...
The E175s were lovely on PDX-OAK in July. I'd be happy to have them back but I'm hoping we just get 737s for good - more seats to fill, less likely for there to be a $50-100 premium over SFO flights like there often was this summer.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Don't you think some of the blame belongs with David Campbell who is CEO of Horizon? I'm sure there are a lot of intricacies to the situation I don't know about, but it seems like Horizon leadership is ultimately responsible for adequately staffing their pilot ranks to meet whatever flying commitments are dictated by AAG leadership.
Maybe, but remember buying Virgin America exasperated the problem. That's all Tilden.

The Brad Tilden Screwjob. Tilden is a pathetic clown. Wish he'd roam the airports so I could tear into him. Let him know what a jerk he really is.

Last edited by WebTraveler; Sep 29, 2017 at 10:16 pm
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:13 pm

Ask for PDX-LAX at this point.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Maybe, but remember buying Virgin America exasperated the problem. That's all Tilden.

The Brad Tilden Screwjob. Tilden is a pathetic clown. Wish he'd roam the airports so I could tear into him.
Wow. Why the personal attacks? Did he harm your family?
pbelmore likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Wow. Why the personal attacks? Did he harm your family?
Brad Tilden has screwed his existing loyal customer base in the acquisition of Virgin America with the combination of increased service from SFO at the expense of the loyal, existing cities, and customers in the network. This also caused the demise of the AA codeshare as well. Yes, I am going to call Brad Tilden out for what it is and what he has done. He's screwed us and given the finger to brand loyalty. And yes, I'd like to call him on it and tell him to his face what a piece of crap he is.

Last edited by WebTraveler; Sep 29, 2017 at 8:56 pm
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Just got caught up in this mess.

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
There are not as many pilots due to the insane new requirements to be a pilot. It's cheaper and quicker to get your PhD. And there is no reason for it. Doesn't help that pay isn't that good, but certainly not the only reason why there is a shortage now. People can't afford to meet the new arbitrary requirements to fly for an airline.
Early morning BLI-SEA flight cancelled for next Tuesday. No other flight until late afternoon so connection to PHX missed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.