Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: TK Elite, IHG Gold, Accor Silver, Ex-Malev Platinum (RIP)
Originally Posted by beckoa
I'd wait 24 hours- the systems don't necessarily talk real time.
So a follow-up to the AS reward on CX ticketing problem/delay - the warning on the CX website showing "eticket has not been issued" etc.

It's now been fixed. The issue according to the AS agent is that CX now require a middle name for the ticket to be issued, so AS had to insert that in the reservation. AS had to call CX to sort this out, and they kindly did so. Apparently this is some new rule on the part of CX.

So bear this in mind if you are booking CX rewards using AS miles. (Don't know how they deal with the issue, if a passenger doesn't have a middle name...)
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you going to be able to check in if the middle name is not on your passport?

I have 2 CX tickets with no middle name (one paid, one award) so I assume this is fairly new?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Are you going to be able to check in if the middle name is not on your passport?

I have 2 CX tickets with no middle name (one paid, one award) so I assume this is fairly new?
I dont think its new, There was a big to do a year or two ago where CX had refused boarding for middle name issues but that stopped. The ability to OLCI can be an issue but no one ever said anything at the check in desk
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm, now when I try to view my award booking on the CX website, it says no such booking.

That can't be good. On hold waiting for an AS agent now.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:26 am
Suspended

Hmmm, now when I try to view my award booking on the CX website, it says no such booking.

That can't be good. On hold waiting for an AS agent now.
I just checked mine and fortunately, it survived. Please let us know what the resolution is, I'm curious if CX may have bumped award seat holders.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDKing
I dont think its new, There was a big to do a year or two ago where CX had refused boarding for middle name issues but that stopped. The ability to OLCI can be an issue but no one ever said anything at the check in desk
So no middle name on ticket, middle name on my passport, is CX going to raise hell over that? I've flown them about a year ago and didn't have an issue.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kapooncha
I just checked mine and fortunately, it survived. Please let us know what the resolution is, I'm curious if CX may have bumped award seat holders.
Crisis averted; it's there. Trying to pull it up while signed in fails. Trying to link it to my account fails. However, if I sign out, and then enter my name and booking code, it brings it up.

So, I just can't link it to my account for some reason. CX's website looks nice but there is something funky going on in the backend.

On my HKG-SFO leg in F, I'm in 2D, every seat other than mine is unavailable. EF is also showing F0 J9. If I get downgraded I will be upset.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
So no middle name on ticket, middle name on my passport, is CX going to raise hell over that? I've flown them about a year ago and didn't have an issue.
Unless there have been changes since, my last CX F was November 7th. My reservation did not have my middle names. (I have two) I had no issues.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jan 6, 2019 at 6:09 am
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:55 am
Suspended

Crisis averted; it's there. Trying to pull it up while signed in fails. Trying to link it to my account fails. However, if I sign out, and then enter my name and booking code, it brings it up.

So, I just can't link it to my account for some reason. CX's website looks nice but there is something funky going on in the backend.

On my HKG-SFO leg in F, I'm in 2D, every seat other than mine is unavailable. EF is also showing F0 J9. If I get downgraded I will be upset.
Is there a single data point where a CX F award seat was bumped? I imagine comp would have to be pretty massive.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:25 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Is there a single data point where a CX F award seat was bumped? I imagine comp would have to be pretty massive.
Bumped no involuntarily downgraded yes
The redemption passenger (upgrade) was refunded miles used to upgrade.
Took CX to court (HK Small Claims Tribunal) over it in an attempt to claim revenue fare difference, and lost:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30597571-post55.html

Last edited by percysmith; Jan 6, 2019 at 6:35 am
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by percysmith
Bumped no involuntarily downgraded yes
The redemption passenger (upgrade) was refunded miles difference
Took CX to court (HK Small Claims Tribunal) over it in an attempt to claim revenue fare difference, and lost:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30597571-post55.html
That is insane that they were only refunded the miles difference. Absolutely insane.

I probably wouldn't be on the flight as I'd be arrested for completely losing my mind at the check-in counter.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

[...]

[...]
There isn't anything "funky" going on. If you have a CX profile and have added your passport information with a middle name and the AS reservation doesn't have your midlle name it will error as a name mismatch. If the AS reservation has your middle name then you need to append your middle name to your first name without a space on the CX website search. Always a PITA with CX. If you are logged out, CX will retrieve the reservation because it isn't comparing the record to any profile.

James
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:37 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
That is insane that they were only refunded the miles difference. Absolutely insane.

I probably wouldn't be on the flight as I'd be arrested for completely losing my mind at the check-in counter.
Should say miles used to upgrade.

The Tribunal Officer sided with CX. Part of his reasoning was passenger had no history of buying the F fare she was claiming for. So that's that.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
I just went through this twice (one hour on hold today from HK on a US cell phone, yikes) with award F bookings on JAL. My middle name is on my AS profile, but due to a "glitch" in the AS IT system, middle name does not populate on award booking from AS website, allegedly. A very seasoned international AS partner redemption agent flagged it for me on the first leg (SFO-HND-BKK), as I assumed it would be on my JAL ticket if it was on my AS booking profile, but alas it wasn't and she said not only would I be denied boarding by JAL at SFO, it was already flagged in their system for auto-cancel... hmmm. She said the same would be true with my attempted CX F award booking. On hold today in HK with AS agent (not international partner redemption pro, probably should've asked to be transferred), but had to cancel the JAL F award ticket again (which was a risk because there was not any showing available and could have disappeared after I cancelled), and rebook it with my middle name added after my first name, in the first name box. Just a word of caution when booking, at least with JAL. Make sure you manually add your middle name in the first name box? I'd assume when calling in and booking a CX award they'd get this correct? That is if there's any CX awards available.....
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
There isn't anything "funky" going on. If you have a CX profile and have added your passport information with a middle name and the AS reservation doesn't have your midlle name it will error as a name mismatch. If the AS reservation has your middle name then you need to append your middle name to your first name without a space on the CX website search. Always a PITA with CX. If you are logged out, CX will retrieve the reservation because it isn't comparing the record to any profile.

James
None of that is what's going on.

There is no middle name anywhere. I do not have a profile with my passport information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.