Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
Does reward availability depend on status? I am going from MVP 75 to basement status next year, do you have a trip planned out for spring break where I see availability now, wanted to see if the loss of status would impact available after Jan1?

Also, what's the best online tool to check CX availability now that JL does not show them?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
Does reward availability depend on status? I am going from MVP 75 to basement status next year, do you have a trip planned out for spring break where I see availability now, wanted to see if the loss of status would impact available after Jan1?
There is no correlation between award availability and status. Once you lose MVPG+ status you won't have a fee waiver for changes or cancellations outside of 24 hours.

If you are seeing availability now. I would book it. Any changes or cancellations will be fee free throught the end of the year with your current status. Also, there is no guarantee that there will still be availability in January.

I use Qanras to search for CX. BA is also widely used but I find their system cumberson

James
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by EyesOnly
I've followed this thread for years, and have been happy booking last-minute Cathay travel (in J or F), because that's where the availability was. I'm not seeing that as the case anymore. I understand that there was that 72-hour block for INTRA-asia flights, but that wasn't supposed to apply to US flights. Have things changed and I'm missing something? There's no availability in F... anywhere.
I was seeing nothing for premium seats December for LAX-HKG a week or so ago, but lately premium seats have opened up, roughly 8-10 days out. Two days ago I snagged an F seat for 12/27, even though my preference was to fly on 12/28. Couldn't find a good connection at all from HKG-PNH using the 12/27 flight arriving on 12/29. Was going to have to fly on Lanmei Airlines with a 7 hour layover, or fly to Bangkok for a night or two.

Today I saw F availability pop up on LAX-HKG on 12/28, arriving 12/30. Then there is award availability for a HKG-PNH flight two hours later. Asia Miles is showing 5+ award seats available for this flight, BA showing nothing at all. So I transferred in the 10,000 Asia Miles needed from Citi TY points. Transfer is still pending.

Then I called the US(?) Asia Miles line and asked them to assign me seat 2A, the bassinet seat, on my LAX-HKG flight, which they did. And I asked them to hold an award seat from HKG-PNH for 48 hours while the points transfer in, which they agreed to do, even though their official policy is you can only hold seat if you have 70% of the miles in your account.

I just canceled my 12/27 F award seat and ate the $55 fee, but it's worth it to fly on the preferred day and also to get a flight that lines up with an award connection to Phnom Penh. That F award seat on the 27th from LAX-HKG now showing as available.

Last edited by jphripjah; Dec 18, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
where is the 55usd fee come from?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by ruahamore
Has anyone attempted to book a CX award after the new Alaska lap infant policy (i.e. infants need a full ticket rather than just paying 10%) for the adult(s) and just asking CX to add a lap infant? Any thoughts on whether that would work? Trying to book a trip for next year, but having to pay buy full award for an infant makes traveling with kid a lot more expensive.
We found out yesterday when calling Alaska to book for CX award that lap infant is required to have their own seat. So we used an extra 42.5k to book from Europe to HKG for the kiddo (< 2yo) and paid around $50 of tax and fees per person. I guess it depends on what your preference is.. either spend the points or the $$.

Anyone has a different encounter than us when booking for lap infant in CX?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pbd456
where is the 55usd fee come from?
Ah sorry, should have mentioned I booked LAX-HKG through British Airways Avios points.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Ah sorry, should have mentioned I booked LAX-HKG through British Airways Avios points.
no wonder i am confused. you used BA miles and then asiamiles but you are posting on Alaska forum.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:47 pm

Anyone have success ticketing HKG-JFK-YVR recently? I know it's been done in the past, but AS agents citing "partner agreement with CX specifies the the JFK-YVR flight will be extra miles" based on my phone call today.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyer05
Anyone have success ticketing HKG-JFK-YVR recently? I know it's been done in the past, but AS agents citing "partner agreement with CX specifies the the JFK-YVR flight will be extra miles" based on my phone call today.
As far as I know "back tracking" is not allowed with CX awards. Similarly, flying West Coast to an Eastern gateway is also not allowed.

James
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by flyer05
Its has never been allowed. Some people have just gotten lucky with agents. Sooner or later they will program a fix to stop it like CX bookings outside 330 days. A few years ago people were bragging about booking as soon as CX made space available and one of the AS IT employees monitoring FT shut it down.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:19 am
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Has anyone had any luck with getting HKG-JNB and v.v space? I've been checking recently and it seems that there is nothing available at all in J.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
For an upcoming trip in CX F booked with AS miles, is there any benefit (or even possible) to change my FF# on the reservation to my AA (OWE) one at check-in?

Couldn't think of any obvious benefit (not miles earning, get same lounge access), but just wanted to check in case I'm forgetting something.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by econ
For an upcoming trip in CX F booked with AS miles, is there any benefit (or even possible) to change my FF# on the reservation to my AA (OWE) one at check-in?

Couldn't think of any obvious benefit (not miles earning, get same lounge access), but just wanted to check in case I'm forgetting something.
3 checked bags instead of 2. If you have the OWE status, it wouldn’t hurt to put it on there. Maybe better handling if you hit IRROPs?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by econ

Why wait until check-in? You might be able to change it online ahead of time on the CX site. At least I was able to change to a CX FF# after a partner booking.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Why wait until check-in?
OWE definitely helps me with CX online seating choices. [btw, if the CX website gives you any trouble with replacing the FF#, try the Qatar site.]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.