Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Availability Asia-Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Availability Asia-Europe

on the award chart, seems like only CX provides flight redemption from Asia to Europe. Is this right? Carriers like KLM also fly out from SIN to Europe (CDG/AMS) - so will one be able to book on them?

I tried to search for many random periods from now till next year. nothing shows up. is this right?

Last edited by hwsv07; Jun 2, 2017 at 10:00 am
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:13 am

Hi -

The AS FF plan is geared towards US redemptions. Also, since AS is not in an alliance, it has bilateral agreements with the airlines in its portfolio. The is why only AS on feeder flights to international gateways.

The CX award has options that others don't have.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

The AS FF plan is geared towards US redemptions. Also, since AS is not in an alliance, it has bilateral agreements with the airlines in its portfolio. The is why only AS on feeder flights to international gateways.

The CX award has options that others don't have.
Can you look at the online award chart calculator? It says Asia to Europe is available on CX

Dun really dig ur reply. So is it possible to book Asia Europe? Which airports shld I choose to have results?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by hwsv07
Can you look at the online award chart calculator? It says Asia to Europe is available on CX

Dun really dig ur reply. So is it possible to book Asia Europe? Which airports shld I choose to have results?
What the commenter was trying to say is the award chart is designed with those from North America not foreign members. CX has an exception that none of the other carriers has which is doesn't require north american to be involved for long haul awards.

Cathay Pacific can only be booked over the phone so you wont see anything on the Alaska site when trying to book. Its the only airline that can be used between Europe and Asia. Even more limited than that, its Europe to/from Hong Kong. No other airlines at this point can be used between the two regions. The chart is kind of funky since AS tried to make it prettier and made it less informative

Last edited by CDKing; Jun 2, 2017 at 10:14 am
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Adding a point here... you'll need to search for available CX seats via the AA or BA website.

Bear in mind though, that general experience has been AS can see (and book) less CX award seats than AA and BA.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
on the award chart, seems like only CX provides flight redemption from Asia to Europe. Is this right? Carriers like KLM also fly out from SIN to Europe (CDG/AMS) - so will one be able to book on them?
No. As stated, the only partner that is allowed for an Asia-Europe booking is Cathay Pacific on an Europe-HKG booking.

Booking beyond HKG to elsewhere in Asia will require a second award.

I tried to search for many random periods from now till next year. nothing shows up. is this right?
Yes. Cathay Pacific availability does not show on the Alaska website. No other partners are allowed for Europe-Asia bookings.

If your primary goal is redeeming awards for Asia-Europe, Alaska Mileage Plan is probably not the program for you. Since Alaska Airlines does not fly off the North American continent save to Hawaii, it's program is oriented towards travelers in those regions (who would rarely be traveling in those regions), and since Alaska is not part of an alliance and each award chart is individually negotiated with each partner airline, there is no arbitrary region-based award chart applicable to ALL partners similar to what you would find for a Star Alliance, SkyTeam or Oneworld airline.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
Cathay Pacific can only be booked over the phone so you wont see anything on the Alaska site when trying to book. Its the only airline that can be used between Europe and Asia. Even more limited than that, its Europe to/from Hong Kong. No other airlines at this point can be used between the two regions. The chart is kind of funky since AS tried to make it prettier and made it less informative
I see. That explains.
I understand that CX has to be done over the phone but I thought I could at least check the availability first to keep the conversation with the agent snappy.

I know CX international gateway is HKG. But CX also does regional flights in Asia. Did anyone manage to fly international other than ex-HKG, on the same award?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bj27
Adding a point here... you'll need to search for available CX seats via the AA or BA website.

Bear in mind though, that general experience has been AS can see (and book) less CX award seats than AA and BA.
I see. Does that mean to say CX award availability for AS is 'officially' shared with AA and BA?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
I see. Does that mean to say CX award availability for AS is 'officially' shared with AA and BA?
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

But AA and BA generally have greater access to CX award availability.

This means if CX has 4 award seats available, and AA/BA can see all 4, AS may only be able to see 2 of those 4 available.

Make sense?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I see. That explains.
I understand that CX has to be done over the phone but I thought I could at least check the availability first to keep the conversation with the agent snappy.

I know CX international gateway is HKG. But CX also does regional flights in Asia. Did anyone manage to fly international other than ex-HKG, on the same award?
The award will break at HKG to two awards unless it's intra-Asia or to North America. You can't do Europe-Asia on one award unless it's to HKG.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Alaska just needs to fix the wording on the CX chart for Europe to Asia. If you look at Asia to Europe it displays correctly as Hong Kong to Europe. If you look at Europe to Asia it incorrectly displays as Hong Kong to Hong Kong but is supposed to say Europe to Hong Kong. Anything else you need to book a separate award from Hong Kong on.
Attached Images   
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Very clear to me now.

First time claim award tix on CX. How is it like getting through the hotline?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.