Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award ticket question JAL, AA

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Award ticket question JAL, AA

My family and I are going to Japan soon.

For our return trip back home to Los Angeles, I want to know if its possible to do a stopover in Tokyo.

My routing would look like this. Okayama(Okj) Tokyo (HND) spend 3 days in Tokyo then (HND - LAX)

The first leg of the flight would be on JAL, and the second flight would be on American Airlines. Can this be bookable?

When I check online for seats, they have but I would have to book both tickets separately. Which also means I would have to spend more miles.

Any help would be great

Thank You
Old May 30, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by brabb12
The first leg of the flight would be on JAL, and the second flight would be on American Airlines. Can this be bookable?
Alaska only allows one partner per award. Your itinerary will thus be two awards.

If you book HND-LAX on JL the itinerary will book as a single award.
Old May 30, 2017, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Alaska only allows one partner per award. Your itinerary will thus be two awards.

If you book HND-LAX on JL the itinerary will book as a single award.
My only option would be to book from Narita NRT the other Tokyo airport then.

JAL doesn't go to HND from LAX. Only American does.

Thanks for your help.
Old May 30, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by brabb12
My only option would be to book from Narita NRT the other Tokyo airport then.

JAL doesn't go to HND from LAX. Only American does.

Thanks for your help.
AS would consider OKJ-HND/NRT-LAX one award if you stayed with JL. I did the same flying TPE-NRT/HND-JFK
Old May 30, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by stompey5
AS would consider OKJ-HND/NRT-LAX one award if you stayed with JL. I did the same flying TPE-NRT/HND-JFK
Does AS consider SFO / SJC co-terminals? JL does fly HND-SFO so OP could theoretically do OKJ-HND-SFO/SJC-BUR which might be preferable to flying into LAX depending on where in the LA area final destination is.
Old May 30, 2017, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by IggySD
Does AS consider SFO / SJC co-terminals? JL does fly HND-SFO so OP could theoretically do OKJ-HND-SFO/SJC-BUR which might be preferable to flying into LAX depending on where in the LA area final destination is.
Yes, the Bay Area/LA airports are coterminals.

I would not consider that "preferable", though. Having to do a shared van 30 miles in the middle of the trip, before another flight to get home? Ugh. And I have done that on HKG-SFO//OAK-SEA, and THAT you can do with BART. It was still lame to add a bunch of running around when your body thought it was 3 am...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.