Wiki Posts
Search

cancel ticket and use later

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
cancel ticket and use later

I searched through the archives but didn't see this question answered.

I am currently MVP but expect to be MVP Gold later this year.

I have a ticket that I am thinking of canceling. The ticket value is roughly $320.

When canceling, it gives me 3 options:
#1 , #2 - charge me $125 as a cancellation fee and give me the rest in my wallet, etc.

#3 - Email the canceled ticket numbers and use later to retrieve the value and no charge today.

If I go with #3 and then get MVP gold later this year and then decide to use the credit from this flight to buy another ticket, will I still be charged $125 at that time or will it be waived because I am MVP gold?
Old May 20, 2017, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Unless somethings changed #3 should still work when one is on track for gold
Old May 20, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
I personally did #3 and had no fees after gaining status for the first time on AS in 2015.
Old May 20, 2017, 11:41 am
Original Poster

thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Quick update,

I made MVP Gold last week. It took a few days but they updated my current reservations with my new MVP Gold status.

However, when I try to buy a ticket with a previously canceled ticket number (was canceled before I was MVP Gold), I am still being hit with the $125 fee. I also get hit with the fee if I try to add my canceled ticket into my wallet.

So maybe the $125 fee is based on my status at the time the ticket was canceled?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:08 pm
vgc

I think it takes a while for your status to 'hit'. I'd wait a little while longer or contact CS.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
You should wait until your status hits the system then call the Gold desk and book it through them, they will be able to waive the fee if it is still not letting you book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.