Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS (and VX) Moved to T7 at JFK; New Alaska Lounge (April, 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Present state(as of 4/30/18)
  • AS/VX flights consolidated from T8/T4 to T7 in late 2017
  • Terminal 7 under construction
    • No TSA Precheck
    • Limited restaurant choices
  • Lounges:
    • Purchased day pass option revoked for Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in T4
    • Alaska Lounge in T7 opened on April 30 2018. Accepts Priority Pass (usual caveats apply, see Priority Pass Denied Entry thread). Will be open 5 AM-10 PM, except 5 AM-5 PM on Saturdays.
    • No day pass access to BA lounge
Print Wikipost

AS (and VX) Moved to T7 at JFK; New Alaska Lounge (April, 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
PreCheck scanners are done by region/airport, not by Terminal. Something sounds super fishy here. PreCheck in T4 is the same as T5, T1, T8.

Could be that Alaska has to pay a ransome to whomever is the gate keeper.
JFK Works a bit differently. T1 and T7 have no TSA Precheck as for some time none of the airlines (all of which were international) supported it. As it currently stands, the security line at T7 is too small to begin with, so it might be awhile.

Each airline ‘owns’ a terminal (well, leases it), with each pretty reflective of how the airline runs its business. JetBlue’s T5 is excellent and smartly designed, AA’s T8 is acceptable but tedious and the victim of budget cuts, Delta’s T4 Is competitive but overstates how good it is. British Airways ‘owns’ T7 and its best days were 30 years ago.

I’m sure a real PreCheck line is coming once the renovations are complete, it’s just completely bonkers they are so unprepared for their own terminal move and that they’d consider any part of this mess acceptable for their customers. In the mean time I’ve moved my two flights over to JetBlue.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
right, but what I mean is TSA has only 2 types of scanners for the boarding passes. (disclosure: I do airline IT for a living (along side employee travel with my company, diff subject, due to myID integrations), and the 2 companies only have 3 or 4 uploads a year of the security settings/codes for scanning. So if you approach *any* TSA scanner, anywhere, with an Alaska boarding pass, it will reflect your flight info including the proper coding for PreCheck clearance. So, you can take your boarding pass for STL-SEA and scan it in MCI, it will *error* due to the boarding city, but it will reflect all of your information. Just as you can take your Alaska boarding pass to *any* LAX checkpoint, and depending on the security protocol for the airport, you should be able to enter the sterile concourse.

So, someone is lying to you if they say you aren't PreCheck at Terminal 7. It means that Alaska hasn't paid the gatekeeper, or they don't have a true PreCheck setup, as you mentioned.

**update: I forgot that the TSA handheld scanners are also a different vendor, for 3. Those, however, get updated monthly with the new security settings. I can't and won't go into any more detail than what I've provided here as the rest is SSI and I can get in big trouble.

Last edited by UAPremierExec; Nov 27, 2017 at 7:17 pm Reason: added handhelds
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I highly doubt it is a technology related limitation. It is far more likely that AS just thought it was not worth the extra money given how few flights they have.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I'm tempted to fly to JFK and try to figure out what's up... if it's just someone making up policy, or if it's more involved. But this wouldn't be until mid-February.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:33 am

no need for a mileage run?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by beckoa
I'm tempted to fly to JFK and try to figure out what's up... if it's just someone making up policy, or if it's more involved. But this wouldn't be until mid-February.
My sense is that by then, there will be more organization and a precheck line.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by beckoa
I'll be flying out in early February. Fun times.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I'll be flying AS out of JFK next week and am PreCheck. I'll report how it goes.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:19 pm

czpdx, if they don't let you in the PreCheck/premium line, once you get up to the TSA rep, tell him/her, they may move you over. The airlines control the space in front of TSA; TSA controls the checkpoint and the place where their agents sit.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by czpdx
I'll be flying AS out of JFK next week and am PreCheck. I'll report how it goes.
Thanks ^

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
czpdx, if they don't let you in the PreCheck/premium line, once you get up to the TSA rep, tell him/her, they may move you over. The airlines control the space in front of TSA; TSA controls the checkpoint and the place where their agents sit.
Excellent advice. Wait for the special beep!
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
What about mobile BP? They won't see what airline you're on until you scan it.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:18 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Erik Jacobsen
This time, I first showed my AS FC BO and my 75k status. The guy at the desk looked at my pass and said that it was a BA lounge, not Alaska. When I pointed out I was 75k, so I should get access as a valued partner.. He pulled out an orange laminated card and looked at it, before announcing that 75k only gets access to BA lounges at Heathrow and nowhere else. Then I showed my EPLT card which also shows OneWorld Emerald and he looked at it, agreed that Emeralds get access to the BA First lounge regardless of class they're flying. But after consulting with his orange laminated card again, he pronounced that I had to be on OneWorld ticket stock to be able to enter as a OneWorld Emerald. I then showed him my Admirals Club membership, which he pronounced was only valid for entry to BA lounges at airports that don't have an Admirals Club.
Kudos for trying, I suppose, but the lounge agent was generally correct on all three. (Except for entrance via Admirals Club membership. While there are some partner or third party lounges available for Admirals Club members to access (including AS, of course), they do not include any BA operated lounges.)
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Erik Jacobsen
I've been in the BA lounges before, I fly BA some and I'm also EPLT on AA which means that I can pick and choose the First Class lounge or the regular lounge. (Sadly, not the Concorde Room, but one of these days I'll make it in there! This time, I first showed my AS FC BO and my 75k status. The guy at the desk looked at my pass and said that it was a BA lounge, not Alaska. When I pointed out I was 75k, so I should get access as a valued partner.. He pulled out an orange laminated card and looked at it, before announcing that 75k only gets access to BA lounges at Heathrow and nowhere else. Then I showed my EPLT card which also shows OneWorld Emerald and he looked at it, agreed that Emeralds get access to the BA First lounge regardless of class they're flying. But after consulting with his orange laminated card again, he pronounced that I had to be on OneWorld ticket stock to be able to enter as a OneWorld Emerald. I then showed him my Admirals Club membership, which he pronounced was only valid for entry to BA lounges at airports that don't have an Admirals Club. He then suggested I go over to T8 where there were two admirals clubs, but that I couldn't be in the BA lounge.

Given that Alaska new they were moving for a long time... and they've been there for two months now... and their club won't open for a while, yet... you'd think they'd have negotiated entrance to the BA club with their "valued airline partner". But, I've come to the conclusion that AS simply doesnt' care about the transcon market. Otherwise, they'd try to make the experience as at least as good as Spirit's gates/check-in/security processes.
Kudos for trying on this. Hell, I wish you could at least buy a reasonably priced day pass or -something- to escape the mess of the terminal in its current state. It's just a triple whammy that the security/checkin situation requires getting to the airport super early just to have poor services on the other side with no way to escape it or relax before 5/6 hour flight.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, CX Silver, Global Entry
I consolidated the latest into a wiki post, please edit for accuracy and perhaps we can track future status there as things improve.

As Erik Jacobsen said, what a hot mess this is. I'd booked a Vx flight JFK-SFO coming back from the holidays before I realized there's no lounge, no TSA Pre, and few food choices for my 6+ hour layover.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold
T7 was a mess this morning.

I arrived around 5:45 with TSA Pre and MVPG on boarding pass, gatekeeper to TSA sent me to the line with everyone on the early morning London and Mexico City flights. FWIW, last time I was at JFK T7 under the same circumstances, I went into a priority line. TSA guy who checked the boarding passes + ID told me to show the x-ray and metal detector folks my boarding pass - man at the x-ray had a look and told the woman by the metal detector that I was TSA Pre. She forgot in the next 30 seconds and insisted I go through the body scanner rather than the metal detector.

I never thought I'd miss EWR terminal A, but at least TSA wait times there were (relatively) reliable... I stay in Bay Ridge when I'm in New York, so I'm equidistant from EWR and JFK - I'm either taking the Verrazano toll or Delta's going to get my money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.