Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS (and VX) Moved to T7 at JFK; New Alaska Lounge (April, 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Present state(as of 4/30/18)
  • AS/VX flights consolidated from T8/T4 to T7 in late 2017
  • Terminal 7 under construction
    • No TSA Precheck
    • Limited restaurant choices
  • Lounges:
    • Purchased day pass option revoked for Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in T4
    • Alaska Lounge in T7 opened on April 30 2018. Accepts Priority Pass (usual caveats apply, see Priority Pass Denied Entry thread). Will be open 5 AM-10 PM, except 5 AM-5 PM on Saturdays.
    • No day pass access to BA lounge
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by haddon90
flying to NYC in may. im thinking of avoiding JFK and doing LGA or EWR.
Whatever floats your boat. I didn’t find it a heklscape but I used to regularly fly through LAX T3rdWorld when it was AS gates (as well as VX), and pretty similarly junk. Meh.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
At least at LGA you can access the Centurion Lounge (which blows away any AS lounge I've ever been to).
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by 91foxbody
At least at LGA you can access the Centurion Lounge (which blows away any AS lounge I've ever been to).
Not if you’re flying AS from MAT.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by haddon90
flying to NYC in may. im thinking of avoiding JFK and doing LGA or EWR.
I would fly into JFK if you don't mind the red eye, super easy to get to midtown via the Long Island railroad. The experience leaving is about the same from EWR or JFK except EWR has an Admirals club you can use if you have a Lounge membership. Suffice it to say neither airport excels in comfort or customer service.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:55 pm

All of Alaska's experiences flying out of NYC are worst-in-class, but relatively speaking:

Best Departure and Arrival Experience- LaGuardia
The Marine Air Terminal is quick, has -more- food options currently than their JFK and EWR terminals (lol), and avoids the traffic/construction/crappiness of the other LGA terminals. JetBlue is the main tenant and provides free coffee in the morning to everyone, though in the afternoon you need to show a boarding pass. Long story short, you'll benefit from JetBlue's higher standards in a terminal that, while small and lacking in concessions, at least has its stuff together.

Best Departure Experience for AS Lounge members with PreCheck looking to kill a half day in the airport - EWR
You get access to one of the dingiest, saddest Admirals Clubs in the world, but it's very very slightly better than nothing. Security is a mess but with Precheck slightly better than JFK. Probably the best option if you're anticipating your flight getting delayed. If you don't have either Precheck or AS Lounge, don't bother.

Best Arrival experience for heading into Manhattan after a red-eye - JFK
T7 is miserable to depart from but pretty ok to arrive from. If nothing else you'll be in Penn Station in under an hour and the JFK Airtrain / LIRR is much nicer than the NJTransit / Newark Airtrain combo. Provided the escalators aren't broken (they will be though) T7 is pretty quick to exit. Do note that after a red-eye you'll find there aren't enough bathrooms, but that's a problem at EWR too.

Best Experience if you need to be convinced never to fly Alaska again - JFK
Every single part of the airport experience here is awful. You'll wait in line to check-in because half of the employees can't help you, you'll wait in line for security, you'll wait in line to get really awful FIKA coffee from a cheap machine and pay $4.65 for the privilege (if they don't run out), you'll wait to use the one working bathroom with only 2/3 stalls working, you won't find any outlets to charge your device anywhere near the gate area but you WILL find buckets to collect rainwater, etc.
flyupfrnt and tusphotog like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA1K
i'm taking the red-eye into EWR. however, i may do UA out of LGA on the way back. times are much more convenient to get to SNA.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:22 pm

Flying AS out of JFK T7 - any way to use the PP lounge in T8?

I'm flying AS (on a Virgin America plane) out of JFK T7 soon. Does anyone know if the JFK AirTrain between terminals is airside? Is there anyway for me to go through security in T7, then take the train to T8 to use the new PP 'lounge' in T8? Will this be an issue, security-wise?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No and no. There’s a handy JFK thread on the first page of the forum you might consider reading:

Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:45 pm

Thanks. I read through the thread, but couldn't find the answer to my next question: do you (or anyone else) know if I could go through security at T8, use the lounge there, and then take an Airtrain to T7 for my flight? Seems a hassle, I know, but I'll have ~ 6 hours to kill at the airport.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pennystinkard
Thanks. I read through the thread, but couldn't find the answer to my next question: do you (or anyone else) know if I could go through security at T8, use the lounge there, and then take an Airtrain to T7 for my flight? Seems a hassle, I know, but I'll have ~ 6 hours to kill at the airport.
Airtrain is not behind security. If you had read the thread you would have noted people getting bounced for what you are trying, using PP behind security in a different terminal, (T1), but succeeding at T4:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29038364-post96.html

Maybe T8 will be different from T1 but by all means let us know...
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
With 6 hours, I'd go into town.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:30 am

Quick note for those with 3+ hours to kill:
You -can- get into other terminals with your boarding pass, though it’s easier with a mobile boarding pass as the TSA won’t ‘help’ redirect you.

Useful if youre an Alaska Lounge member as you can access the (very nice) Admirals Club in t8 along with Bobby Vans if you have Prio Pass. I’m super glad I did, as t7 is about as unpleasant as you can get at the moment and you really are better off killing time just about anywhere else.

The big problem is you will be clearing security twice, and you’ll still want to give yourself 30-40 minutes to clear at T7. With precheck security isn’t too bad at t8 (went through in 5 minutes), though it’s always a train wreck at t7. (It took me about 30 minutes to get from airside t8 to airside t7 as a frame of reference, but it can get much worse)

( Its also just amazing how nice t8 looks after coming from t7. )
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Having been to the AS areas at all 3 NYC airports. I’d say they are all about equally miserable.
jsguyrus likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
So it's March 26 and the new JFK Lounge has been announced as opening in April, has anyone actually laid eyes on it or have any updates?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:16 pm

I peaked through the window as we were departing and it looks about 80% complete. I could see the furniture (the long bar table) along the windows and it looked pretty nice.
LIH Prem and tusphotog like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.