Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

When did AS stop allowing elite seat selection to apply to family in other res>

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium

Taking a work trip and also taking my family with me on my dime. Had to book as two locators as work is paying for me and I'm paying for the family. I have status and can select better seats but AS won't let my family have access to those seats as well since they're in diff locator. I know that they've done this for me before on a couple of occasions but agent is insistent that it is not possible and was not possible before.

Is this really the new policy? Seems it would also hit folks who may be a party of 4 travelling with only one elite but have to be on two reservations if each pair were using the companion certificate.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Was this into Premium Class?

If so...

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-upgrades.aspx

How do Premium Class companion upgrades work?

MVP Gold and Gold 75K members may upgrade one companion traveling with them on the same flight, in the same reservation and in the same class of service. If a reservation includes more than one companion, it will not be eligible for complimentary upgrades.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
HUCA - I've always been able to ask and get my traveling companions seated with me. Premium class does complicate things it seems.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Was this into Premium Class?

If so...

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-upgrades.aspx

How do Premium Class companion upgrades work?

MVP Gold and Gold 75K members may upgrade one companion traveling with them on the same flight, in the same reservation and in the same class of service. If a reservation includes more than one companion, it will not be eligible for complimentary upgrades.
Same with complementary F upgrades for companions on seperate PNRs. No longer allowed as of last October.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Unfortunately there appears to have been a policy change rolled out in conjunction with premium class. If you have the family in one reservation they will let you do it but not on separate PNRs.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

This was not even for the Premium Class seats, just the "refundable ticket or elite status" seats.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:07 am
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mikelat
This was not even for the Premium Class seats, just the "refundable ticket or elite status" seats.
Your profile says you have AA EXP status. Do you have any elite status with Alaska Airlines? If not, that may be the issue.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by mikelat
I've called in and asked nicely and been moved up
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
I've called in and asked nicely and been moved up
I'll try HUCA. I tried the ask nicely approach, as its worked for me in the past, but it didn't work so I thanked them and hung up. Figured I'd ask here before trying again.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA 1P, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Avis First
Thumbs down

Another data point. I just called in to the MVP Gold line and tried to move two friends to join me in row 7 on an upcoming (non-premium class) flight, and, I quote, "as of January 5th 2017 we don't allow this on separate reservations...the best I can do is row 30." was the response. Ridiculous. I HU and will CA in the morning.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Single DP: Called to get a block of 3 seats for my wife (MVP, on a separate PNR) and my daughter and I (both no status). Agent gave us 24 D-F, which are technically reserved for MVP/refundable. In this case there were no available non-MVP eligible seats, so that may have tipped the balance.
Old May 25, 2021, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Beware if your status changed (up) recently there is a lag between the MP and rez systems. However agent can manually process seat changes.
Old May 26, 2021, 5:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
It's been several years.

By that point, the rest of my family had obtained at least MVP, so this has become less of an issue.

That's my reccomendation- get them to MVP or higher ^
Old May 26, 2021, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
It's been several years.

By that point, the rest of my family had obtained at least MVP, so this has become less of an issue.

That's my reccomendation- get them to MVP or higher ^
My kids got MVP status from two round-trips (one to HNL and one to MSP) because of the 50% bonus EQM promotion....it took almost nothing to get MVP this year.
Old May 27, 2021, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
If a reservation includes more than one companion, it will not be eligible for complimentary upgrades.
AS phone agents sometimes will just ignore these rules and keep family together. One time I was asking to upgrade my parents and left me out of the upgrade, since there can only be two people upgraded by the rule. The phone agent was very personable and gave me a surprise. Not saying this should happen, but you may want to HUCA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.