Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Got charged oversize fee for golf bag, but ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I recently flew SJC-OGG with my golf bag and had to pay the oversize fee (the bag was not overweight).

However, later I looked up the rules on the Alaska Air website and for Golf stuff it states the following: "Although the items below may exceed our normal size allowance, we're glad to waive the oversize baggage fee."

Details here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...equipment.aspx

Do I have any chance to get back the fee?

Thomas
Old Feb 2, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: AS
As I read it, it specifies fees for checked bags and overweight bags.
It does say the oversized fee for golf bags is waived. I would contact Alaskalistens and request a credit for this fee.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
What did they charge you? You still have to pay normal bag fees if you aren't exempt due to status or having the AS credit card, they are just supposed to waive the oversized (not overweight as you mentioned) fee. If you have the credit card, that only gives you one free bag. Was the golf bag a second piece? You don't have any status showing in your profile which would entitle you to bag fee waivers.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
What did they charge you? You still have to pay normal bag fees if you aren't exempt due to status or having the AS credit card, they are just supposed to waive the oversized (not overweight as you mentioned) fee. If you have the credit card, that only gives you one free bag. Was the golf bag a second piece? You don't have any status showing in your profile which would entitle you to bag fee waivers.
I'm not complaining about the bag fee ($25), but the oversize charge ($50 on top of the regular bag fee).
Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by kiteloop
I'm not complaining about the bag fee ($25), but the oversize charge ($50 on top of the regular bag fee).
I think they probably got confused by this:

Any baggage (including baggage checked free of charge) which exceeds the size or weight allowance, is subject to the additional fees outlined below.

Oversized or overweight baggage fee table
Oversize or overweight baggage Bags that weigh
51-100 lbs Bags with linear dimension
of 63-115" (linear)
If a checked bag falls into more than one fee category (piece number, oversize, overweight), only the higher, single fee is charged. $75

....and just charged you the higher fee of $75 because you fell into 2 categories, piece fee (because you had no bag fee waiver such as status) and oversize. They just charged per the above statement but you should only have been charged the $25 for the piece fee. I suspect they just got confused. Unless they thought it was overweight? It was definitely under 50lbs? And it wasn't your third bag (which is $75)?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 6:26 pm

Hi,

I recently flew SJC-OGG with my golf bag and had to pay the oversize fee (the bag was not overweight).

However, later I looked up the rules on the Alaska Air website and for Golf stuff it states the following: "Although the items below may exceed our normal size allowance, we're glad to waive the oversize baggage fee."

Details here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...equipment.aspx

Do I have any chance to get back the fee?

Thomas

I have NEVER been charged a fee - I am sure that was someone new. I think you have a great chance at getting a refund assuming your bag was not crazy big.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Just to let you know how it ended: I got a refund
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Just to let you know how it ended: I got a refund
Excellent ^ and thanks for the follow up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.