Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Processor Glitches

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: Yes
Another UG bites the dust..

AS1258, #2 for J4. While enroute to SEA, UG professor runs and #1 and three pax situated lower on the UG WL clear, and now J0.

Ended up departing with J1 as GA refused to process the UG list after 1 FC pax marked as a no-show.

Thanks AS. 😞👌🏻
Old Dec 12, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by anteater
Another UG bites the dust..

AS1258, #2 for J4. While enroute to SEA, UG professor runs and #1 and three pax situated lower on the UG WL clear, and now J0.

Ended up departing with J1 as GA refused to process the UG list after 1 FC pax marked as a no-show.

Thanks AS. 😞👌🏻
In what can only be a shock, someone from Charu's office reached out about the upgrader to get more info. If you want to DM me, I'm sure I can provide your info as well. You seem to consistently have it way damn worse than the rest of us.
anteater likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 11:00 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by anteater
I don't know what J1 means, but once while already seated in my PC seat, a flight attendant upgraded me to F. The interesting part is that he had to split the reservation for my wife and me reflected in my app, so it's some work to do.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by vanillabean;[url=tel:34827654
34827654[/url]]I don't know what J1 means, but once while already seated in my PC seat, a flight attendant upgraded me to F. The interesting part is that he had to split the reservation for my wife and me reflected in my app, so it's some work to do.
J - a first class seat. J#, indicating the number of seats in that class.

We departed with one empty FC seat. 😕
Old Dec 12, 2022, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vanillabean
I don't know what J1 means, but once while already seated in my PC seat, a flight attendant upgraded me to F. The interesting part is that he had to split the reservation for my wife and me reflected in my app, so it's some work to do.
Be careful with this if you have more flight segments in the future on the same PNR if your companion has no or lower status. I had a GA come on board SEA-PDX and ask if I wanted to move into an empty F seat so I said sure but would decline in the future since it split my MVP companion onto their own record and no longer had the benefit of my 75K upgrade status on a future flight attached to the same reservation.
vanillabean and anteater like this.

Last edited by PDXPremier; Dec 14, 2022 at 6:20 pm
Old Dec 13, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, Hilton Diamond
On the last 2 flights my DH and I on the same reservation. First flight 1 and 2 on waitlist with 3 or 4 seats open and we are skipped for upgrade presumably because seats are released 1 at a time. This is a big annoyance to me. Finally today we are again 1 and 2 and they actually gave one of us the only upgrade. Maybe they are actually fixing things?
Seattle123 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 9:01 am

Programs: Delta SM, 1MM; Alaska Gold 100K
I don't know if this qualifies as a rare exception or an Alaska Airlines miracle or if the upgrade professor was hung over from the meeting, but I had a 4-segment itinerary on December 10.
On Tuesday, December 6, late afternoon, 3 of the segments cleared into First. There was no e-mail. I discovered it just from deciding to re-check flights on that day at that time. The last segment was SEA-JFK, 86, which cleared (I appeared to be #2 on the Wait List) about 20 hours before flight time.

I am wondering if any other mileage-running flyer talkers were on 86 on December 10. I was midway in the First cabin and heard the FA greet 2 other 75Ks and 2 100Ks.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mtnsider
On the last 2 flights my DH and I on the same reservation. First flight 1 and 2 on waitlist with 3 or 4 seats open and we are skipped for upgrade presumably because seats are released 1 at a time. This is a big annoyance to me. Finally today we are again 1 and 2 and they actually gave one of us the only upgrade. Maybe they are actually fixing things?
If the two of you were on the same PNR, you could only be upgraded by the processor if two seats were available since it won't auto-split the PNR (thankfully in my case since my companion is typically one of my kids). Only a GA would be able to assign a single F seat for a two passenger reservation.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, Hilton Diamond
I noticed later that the reservation had been split but this was done at the last minute without my knowledge. I was only notified when my boarding pass was scanned at the gate. We are fine with being separated if one of us gets an upgrade.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 6:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
So just to clarify, what exactly are my options when my upgrade window opens and I'm on the waitlist and there's U space available but the upgrade processor refuses to kick in? I'm MVPG, so my window opens at T-72, which is also around the time that the flight status page starts showing the waitlist. So I guess if I see that I'm at/near the top, there's a reasonable chance of getting upgraded, so my best bet would probably be just to wait it out. But what if I'm way down the list? What are my sniping options? Make some sort of dummy change to my reservation in the hopes that tickles the upgrade processor to auto-upgrade me right away? Burn a GGU (upfaring to N or greater if necessary)? Use miles? Something else? And do I have more (or different) options when the checkin window opens at T-24? Up-thread, there seemed to be some mention of checking in again as a means of tickling the upgrade processor. Does that really work? How exactly does one "check in again"? I thought that once you've checked in, attempts to do it again will fail with some sort of "already checked in" message.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 6:29 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
You can usually see three days ahead on this link. Just put anything for the departure date and when you get to the next page, delete the date from the web address above and change it to your desired date. This should show you the waitlist ahead of time.https://www.alaskaair.com/flightstatus
Old Jan 10, 2023, 1:07 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I've provided a LOT of documentation on this to senior Alaska management many, many times. The folks running Sabre don't have a say when the folks working on the RAIN project are taking the lead on some of this stuff, so not sure it will ever get fixed. RAIN = new overlay and connectivity of Alaska's reservations, ops, departure control systems.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Data point. I did a trip change yesterday around 1130 AM, booked into Y as F=0.

(Saver award).

About 45 minutes later, I received an email I was upgraded. Tickled pink about that

Flight took off on time at 3 PM.

But yes, shenanigans can still occur.
anteater likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Upgrade processor glitch in my favor - got upgraded on a transcon flight inside of T-24 but I am still on the upgrade list at #2.

Was even able to preorder inside check-in time.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Upgrade processor glitch in my favor - got upgraded on a transcon flight inside of T-24 but I am still on the upgrade list at #2.

Was even able to preorder inside check-in time.
T-2 hours, I have dropped to #5 on the upgrade list, but I have also been upgraded already, so joke's on AS?
anteater likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.