Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Chocolate OR drink, not both, for MVPGs on Horizon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K + BR, TSA Pre-√, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum Elite

Had a strange situation flying from Seattle to Boise on Horizon today. I was sitting in 2D, and during the beverage service the flight attendent got to my row and asked the person sitting next to me if they wanted their gold chocolate. He said yes, then turned down a beverage. She then asked what I wanted to drink. I ordered a Bloody Mary, then she continued to help other passengers in row 1 and 2. She gave a few more chocolates out, so I asked her for mine when she passed by. Her response was "you either get a free mini bottle or a chocolate, not both." Being a 75K I told her I've never heard that before? Oddest part was she gave a gold in row 1 both a mini bottle and a chocolate?

Not a deal breaker, I just wondered if anyone's ever heard that before?

Last edited by Dyoungman1; Jan 27, 2017 at 7:28 pm
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It's definitely one or the other from my past experience.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: AS 75k, SEA-BOS expert level 2000
All depends on the FA for me. Same on mainline flights if I am traveling with a companion and they get a free beverage or a digiplayer. I always ask and if I get declined, I just smile.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
One or the other. The chocolate is a consolation prize for people for whom the free alcohol isn't helpful.

Neil
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I'm with missamo80, you are only supposed to get the chocolate if you decline a drink in coach. See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27021224-post887.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...erence-14.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27018358-post884.html
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:01 pm

Yeah it's always been one or the other for me, too - on a few occasions with generous FAs I've gotten both, or scored two chocolates (one for me and one for the gf) but I've always understood this was the exception.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Spiffieman
All depends on the FA for me. Same on mainline flights if I am traveling with a companion and they get a free beverage or a digiplayer. I always ask and if I get declined, I just smile.
how awkward.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: AS 75k, SEA-BOS expert level 2000
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
how awkward.
Clarification. I guess I should say that most of the time, if I am traveling with a companion, the FA will offer them a free beverage or digiplayer without my asking. Which is very nice.

I enjoy the chocolates, so I always ask if they have any extra, even after I have had my complimentary drink. Sometimes they decline, sometimes they say yes. All good either way.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: AS
Recent flight in F and was chatting with FA.
She mentioned a pet peeve for her was the inconsistent policy from AS regarding elites and perks and flying in F. (It does seem to change every 6 months)
She said she had elites in F who wanted their chocolate bar even though they had received drinks. Since drinks are included in F , they felt they were still allowed to ask for the chocolate. She thought this was wrong....my thoughts were that since it was not an either or situation, they should get their chocolate bar.
(in my head, is it really such a big deal to FA??)
I have been on flights where they were handing out bars to those who filled out app for AS Visa card.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Clarification. I guess I should say that most of the time, if I am traveling with a companion, the FA will offer them a free beverage or digiplayer without my asking. Which is very nice.

I enjoy the chocolates, so I always ask if they have any extra, even after I have had my complimentary drink. Sometimes they decline, sometimes they say yes. All good either way.
Even though you are "nice" about it, it puts the FA in a very awkward position, IMHO.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
From my experience, the chocolate is definitely something you have to ask for...I think I got it once on Horizon and once on AS mainline, but that was it....it's a nice gesture toward those who don't want the free drink, but is so inconsistently served that you sorta forget about it over time.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Yeah really dependent. I've gotten both before. Sometimes I ask for an extra to give one to my mom as well.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:39 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I enjoy the chocolates, so I always ask if they have any extra, even after I have had my complimentary drink.
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
On one of my recent flights I heard the FA comment that catering loaded just 7 chocolate bars, but that there were 18 Golds seated in coach.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Bonvoy Titanium, NEXUS
In December I was a 75k in Coach... was told that since I got a Digiplayer I wouldn't get a chocolate or drink! That was a first...
Old Jan 28, 2017, 3:38 pm

heads up.. if you love those chocolates.. You will no longer be getting chocolates if you sit in Premium Class.. Even if you don't order drinks.

Also I'm new to posting, so hello everyone!
just wanted to get that out before your next flight.. Since. it'll be my coworkers and myself blamed for forgetting. When actually we've been asked not to offer chocolates any longer to premium class..rows 6-10. btw alaskalistens is free during flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.