Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Keeps Failing To Deliver Bags Late

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan

I really like getting 2,500 mile vouchers for late bags, so I always check a bag rather than fight for overhead bin space. And then I stand at the baggage carousel looking at my watch. I used to get a ton of these, but in the past few months, Alaska keeps getting me my bags on time and I'm getting fewer bonus miles.

Who's still playing the bag bonus game? Are there any times or cities where Alaska is most likely to miss, or have they really upped their game this much? In the past few months I have had a late bag in Vancouver and one that got misrouted at LAX, but all my other flights (even to the previously notorious Dulles) have managed to meet the 20 minute deadline.

To be clear, I don't raise a stink or do anything more than claim the guarantee if Alaska actually fails to meet it. So please don't upbraid me for "abuse" or anything, I'm just playing by the rules as Alaska has written them.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/973184-post-your-baggage-service-guarantee-successes.html
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Admittedly I'm an MVP who usually ends up with more partner than AS miles, but so far the only time I've gotten to take advantage of it was when my bags didn't make their way from customs in SEA quickly enough and they had to send them down on the next plane. Got an extra voucher out of that too.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:35 pm

Every time I fly to IAH we get vouchers. Without fail. And amazingly there are usually only a handful of folks claiming vouchers.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Is the guarantee for your own bag? Or 20 minutes for the first bag to carousel?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
I've had a lot of success at ATL. It's 30 minutes to get to baggage claim for the passenger, let alone the bag.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I have to admit that I've played the game a few times. Usually, it's on the return flight when I am less pressed for time. I secretly hope that the bag comes out 35 minutes afterwards.

So far, I've only checked bags in 3 times, one was late. It was so late that it came the next day and I got a bigger reward. Inside was merely dirty underwear and some junk.

Most of the time, I still don't check in luggage.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by QXflyer
Is the guarantee for your own bag? Or 20 minutes for the first bag to carousel?
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...guarantee.aspx

Your bag.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Correct, it is your bag. I have however, had to argue with baggage agents in some of the smaller stations (TPA) who said it was the first bag.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
IIRC, 3/4 times I've checked bags SEA>JFK they've been late. (Two vouchers. There was one time I wasn't able to get the voucher because my SO wasn't feeling well after the redeye and wanted to get home ASAP.)
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Correct, it is your bag. I have however, had to argue with baggage agents in some of the smaller stations (TPA) who said it was the first bag.
I had that convo in KOA last month. Luckily the twitter team took care of it.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by lg20
I had that convo in KOA last month. Luckily the twitter team took care of it.
I just send an email to Customer Care in this case.

Have acquired a couple this year already
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
I got one this past Monday morning.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:54 am
vgc

I'm MVP 75k two years running and I've never gotten a voucher in Seattle. I've gotten vouchers in Atlanta, Austin, DC, and probably a few more that I can't think of, but never Seattle. They've gotten reeeeeeeally close a few times (any bag after mine was certainly after 20 minutes), but I guess I've just been "lucky" in Seattle.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Originally Posted by vgc
I'm MVP 75k two years running and I've never gotten a voucher in Seattle.
Do you have the 75k tags on your bags?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.