Community
Wiki Posts
Search

companion pass / gold / change question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
companion pass / gold / change question

Perhaps something covered a few years ago but quick search and I didn't see anything.

We (wife, infant in lap) are on lih-sea in early may, the return leg of a companion pass ticket. Upgraded with gold certs. Companion pass is from my card and mp account, but she has a cc by the same number, and is an MVP. All good.

I now have to be in dallas that day. Bummer. LIH-SEA-DFW (the redeye) looks like the best schedule which is nice that it's still alaska.

Two options I can think of - 1) change our tickets to the day before and split off from the fam when we hit seattle, book a separate ticket sea-dfw. (and lose the upgrade plus pay her change fees and re-fare ) or 2) book my own separate ticket lih-sea-dfw (i'd book in paid first, it's work) the day before, and leave our booking intact - wife and infant then fly home and I am a no-show. The question becomes if my no-show will be an issue for her.

The added negative to changing our ticket is we're out there with her folks and they're on the same flight that we're on... so then the question becomes if they should change too to help with the baby, or if she has an issue she'll also have them on hand.

Last edited by brarrr; Jan 12, 2017 at 9:16 am
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Who is the primary passenger?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
If you are the primary, then your wife will not be able to travel unless her ticket is re-fared. If she is the primary, then there is no consequence to you being a no show and she can travel on her existing ticket without you.

The primary can travel without the companion on the existing ticket but the companion cannot travel without the primary.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
hmm... so i am the primary. even if checked in? is the point of measurement whether or not i boarded?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by brarrr
hmm... so i am the primary. even if checked in? is the point of measurement whether or not i boarded?
i don't know if any of us really know the answer to that question as i doubt it has been tested.

do you have any intentions to go back to Hawaii (or anywhere on the west coast really...if so, let's call that city ZZZ) as a couple again within 12 months of the original ticketing date of your current companion ticket?

if so, i would cancel off LIH-SEA entirely and change it to use the companion fare on that other trip (one way from ZZZ-SEA, with separate one way tickets SEA-ZZZ). then rebook her a new ticket LIH-SEA (consider miles if the fare cost is high), and book yourself a fresh ticket LIH-SEA-DFW.

this way, you don't lose the companion fare's value, and hopefully you can minimize change fees too.

otherwise of your other two scenarios, you are basically stuck with #1.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:02 pm

One thing to note is that there are no change fees for anyone for a trip in May as it is more than 60 days away.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

hmm.. changing to something in the future is an interesting option... we are planning to go to boston in may... and good point about 60 days.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Update - the companion fare doesn't allow for open jaw. So, I have to rebook to LIH-SEA, not XXX-SEA. Not a big deal but I was trying to do something else and they said no go. Guess we have to go to kauai again!
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Update - the companion fare doesn't allow for open jaw. So, I have to rebook to LIH-SEA, not XXX-SEA. Not a big deal but I was trying to do something else and they said no go. Guess we have to go to kauai again!
Not sure who told you the companion fare couldn't be open-jaw, but you can easily book one on-line by using multi-city. Probably should HUACA.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by flymonthly
Not sure who told you the companion fare couldn't be open-jaw, but you can easily book one on-line by using multi-city. Probably should HUACA.
IME while you can book all sorts of crazy stuff on the web, a live agent will not book anything other than a RT with the companion cert without a lot of begging and pleading. While I have managed to get an open jaw, it was a very small one (OGG/KOA).
Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by Erasmus
IME while you can book all sorts of crazy stuff on the web, a live agent will not book anything other than a RT with the companion cert without a lot of begging and pleading. While I have managed to get an open jaw, it was a very small one (OGG/KOA).
I believe the issue is that the unflown leg (the open jaw portion) must be less miles than either of the flown trips. (Total including connection.)

I was once able to so KOA-SEA-OGG-SEA-LAS on one companion pass (open jaw KOA-OGG, OGG-LAS) however, in the last few years that hasn't been available. However, another time, SNA-SEA-DCA-SEA-OGG did work. You kinda just have to test and see what the site will let you book. You may be surprised.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by lg20
I believe the issue is that the unflown leg (the open jaw portion) must be less miles than either of the flown trips. (Total including connection.)

I was once able to so KOA-SEA-OGG-SEA-LAS on one companion pass (open jaw KOA-OGG, OGG-LAS) however, in the last few years that hasn't been available. However, another time, SNA-SEA-DCA-SEA-OGG did work. You kinda just have to test and see what the site will let you book. You may be surprised.
IME, the site will literally let you book anything with the multi-city tool. In the past, I have put XXX-SEA-YYY/YYY-ZZZ-YYY/PPP-QQQ (i.e., a one way, followed by a round trip, followed by another one way involving different cities entirely) all on one ticket using just one cert.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Tickets had gold upgrades applied... so couldn't do the change online. No agents were willing. oh well, just have to do another trip to kauai for thanksgiving
Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:58 am

Tickets had gold upgrades applied... so couldn't do the change online. No agents were willing. oh well, just have to do another trip to kauai for thanksgiving
I frequently change itineraries online with guest upgrades applied. Then I email MP and get them reinstated. I suppose if you don't have additional gold upgrades to apply in the interim, you might not be able to secure the new upgrades. But you can absolutely revise upgraded itineraries online.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flytoeat
I frequently change itineraries online with guest upgrades applied. Then I email MP and get them reinstated. I suppose if you don't have additional gold upgrades to apply in the interim, you might not be able to secure the new upgrades. But you can absolutely revise upgraded itineraries online.
I can assure you that if I click "change" it says "this itinerary cannot be changed online" So it is not an absolute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.