Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by andy2016
If I "upgrade" a CX business award booking to F when(if) a seat opens close to departure is the change fee still charged? 99% sure it's a "yes" but just thought I'd check.
If you've already paid the F level of miles for a mixed F/non-F ticket, no. Otherwise yes, except if you've got MVPG status or higher.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Alaska MVPG75
I am thinking of going from MVPG to MVPG75 this year. Wondering if it's worth it as it will definitely take some effort to get there.
Aside from the benefits listed on the AS website, what is the experience like IRL? Is it worth a lot of extra effort and $ vs MVPG?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
How many days does it take for Delta to credit miles to Alaska? I flew DAL to Tokyo nine days ago and flew back to LAX yesterday. I still have to receive credit for my flight to Tokyo nine days ago.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by faithful
I am thinking of going from MVPG to MVPG75 this year. Wondering if it's worth it as it will definitely take some effort to get there.
Aside from the benefits listed on the AS website, what is the experience like IRL? Is it worth a lot of extra effort and $ vs MVPG?
If using partners its typically not worth it since other than the 50K bonus miles there isn't much to gain (especially since its double the miles for AS metal alone). If flying AS on the cheapest fares it guarantees premium seat at booking. Plus 25% bonus miles come in more handy when you aren't earning 25% like on AA.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Alaska MVPG75
Originally Posted by CDKing
If using partners its typically not worth it since other than the 50K bonus miles there isn't much to gain (especially since its double the miles for AS metal alone). If flying AS on the cheapest fares it guarantees premium seat at booking. Plus 25% bonus miles come in more handy when you aren't earning 25% like on AA.
This is great feedback - thanks!
Just to confirm, once you reach status you get it for the rest of the current year and the following year, correct?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by faithful
This is great feedback - thanks!
Just to confirm, once you reach status you get it for the rest of the current year and the following year, correct?
Correct. Status earned this year will be valid through Dec 31 2018. Technically you're earning status for next year and Alaska extends the earned status to the current year as well.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CDKing
I agree. Really only worth it if you have a lot of travel on AS-operated flights. If you fly with partner carriers more often especially those who offer the bonus miles, I'd just requal for MVPG then bank the miles with another program especially if you can get mid/top-tier status with them.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Attempting to use 2 discount codes for 2 people, OW more expensive than RT

Friend and I were each given discount codes for a delayed flight last year, we would like to use them on an upcoming trip, traveling together. I am MVP, other person is not.

My plan was to book 2 different one way itineraries, use one each discount code for each direction. Outbound fare is the same as the RT, but return is more expensive. If I book 2 separate one-ways, I am concerned that the other person will not be able to sit with me in the exit row, take advantage of my free checked baggage (I am MVP, AA PLT, AS credit card holder).

Any suggestions?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by diver858
Friend and I were each given discount codes for a delayed flight last year, we would like to use them on an upcoming trip, traveling together. I am MVP, other person is not.

My plan was to book 2 different one way itineraries, use one each discount code for each direction. Outbound fare is the same as the RT, but return is more expensive. If I book 2 separate one-ways, I am concerned that the other person will not be able to sit with me in the exit row, take advantage of my free checked baggage (I am MVP, AA PLT, AS credit card holder).

Any suggestions?
Weird that it is pricing out differently for RT travel.

Is this 100% AS metal?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by beckoa

Is this 100% AS metal?
Is it international? RTs to and from Canada price put cheaper than 2 x one ways because of the taxes.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by beckoa

Is this 100% AS metal?
Yes - SAN-SJD, in July.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jediwho
How many days does it take for Delta to credit miles to Alaska? I flew DAL to Tokyo nine days ago and flew back to LAX yesterday. I still have to receive credit for my flight to Tokyo nine days ago.
Flew DL Saturday, posted this morning. I can't recall if DL is one of those that seems to post only once a week or so but should normally be a week or less. I usually wait about two weeks for flights to post and then send in boarding passes if not.

Last edited by rustykettel; Apr 4, 2017 at 9:21 am
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Flew DL Saturday, posted this morning. I can't recall if DL is one of those that seems to post only once a week or so but should normally be a week or less. I usually wait about two weeks for flights to post and then send in boarding passes if not.
Yes, DL flights, like most (all?) partners, post on Wednesdays (early AM, I think, though it may be late night/early Thursday AM). I wouldn't worry until the Wednesday at least two weeks after the flight.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K, United 1K
Typically, how long does Alaska Customer Care take to respond to emails? I emailed them on Saturday through the "contact us" portion of the webpage regarding a significant delay to a flight when the pilot called in sick. Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by PandaMVP
Typically, how long does Alaska Customer Care take to respond to emails? I emailed them on Saturday through the "contact us" portion of the webpage regarding a significant delay to a flight when the pilot called in sick. Thanks!
Recently several weeks to a month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.