Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alternative to yapta.com for tracking AS fare drops?

Alternative to yapta.com for tracking AS fare drops?

Old Dec 1, 16, 6:42 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Seattle WA USA
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 718
Alternative to yapta.com for tracking AS fare drops?

I have used yapta for a few years with great results. Whenever a fare dropped, I'd get an email, and then could claim the fare difference credit from AS.

But I've noticed in the last month or so that yapta isn't reliably checking my trip prices more than once a week or so, oddly...

What do the rest of you use to track price drops? TIA for your thoughts!
DaveH is offline  
Old Dec 1, 16, 8:20 pm
  #2  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AS MVP
Posts: 2,037
Google Flights
SFOPhD is offline  
Old Dec 1, 16, 10:40 pm
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FAI
Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 42,214
Manually checking and keeping track of prices.

Doubt I always catch fare drops- but I don't always collect as it would reset my WL position. I generally would take a GARR though.
beckoa is offline  
Old Dec 2, 16, 1:57 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seattle, Wa
Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Posts: 2,373
Originally Posted by SFOPhD View Post
Google Flights
+1

Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Manually checking and keeping track of prices.
I do this too when time permits.
flyupfrnt is offline  
Old Dec 2, 16, 9:13 am
  #5  
formerly known as felinaar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SEA
Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 612
Tripit
Scottrick is offline  
Old Dec 2, 16, 9:56 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Seattle
Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Posts: 437
Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
I have used yapta for a few years with great results. Whenever a fare dropped, I'd get an email, and then could claim the fare difference credit from AS.

But I've noticed in the last month or so that yapta isn't reliably checking my trip prices more than once a week or so, oddly...

What do the rest of you use to track price drops? TIA for your thoughts!
You can always still use yapta and just go each day to manually check prices if they aren't doing it automatically.
lg20 is offline  
Old Dec 2, 16, 10:32 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Washington D.C.
Programs: UA Gold MM , AS MVPG , MR LTT, Hilton Dia
Posts: 478
Originally Posted by Scottrick View Post
Tripit
+1, actually you need Tripit Pro, but that saved me $52 last this week on an automated notice of a fare drop.

Glenn
Major G is offline  
Old Dec 2, 16, 1:05 pm
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS
Posts: 15,027
Originally Posted by Major G View Post
+1, actually you need Tripit Pro, but that saved me $52 last this week on an automated notice of a fare drop.

Glenn
Can you set unendless alerts with Tripit Pro, even for itineraries not yet purchased?
Dieuwer is offline  
Old Dec 2, 16, 1:55 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SEA town
Programs: Alaska LTG-75K, HHonors-Gld, Priority Spire, LT MR Ti
Posts: 610
Originally Posted by Dieuwer View Post
Can you set unendless alerts with Tripit Pro, even for itineraries not yet purchased?
No, TripIt Pro is designed to hold all your travel plans in one place. Air rez, car rental rez, hotel rez, Open Table, I'm sure they support more. From there it will track any price change and email you the fare change.

I've found it saves be hundreds every year in flights. Of course downside if your upgrade position gets refreshed. Might be a lesser issue with new upgrade pecking order based off fare code.

TripIt Pro also offers a one time promotion of CLEAR for 4 months for free. Which I have not tried yet.
BarryL is offline  
Old Dec 2, 16, 2:03 pm
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS
Posts: 15,027
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
No, TripIt Pro is designed to hold all your travel plans in one place. Air rez, car rental rez, hotel rez, Open Table, I'm sure they support more. From there it will track any price change and email you the fare change.

I've found it saves be hundreds every year in flights. Of course downside if your upgrade position gets refreshed. Might be a lesser issue with new upgrade pecking order based off fare code.

TripIt Pro also offers a one time promotion of CLEAR for 4 months for free. Which I have not tried yet.
If I cannot set airfare alert for trips I have not bought yet, it is useless to me.
Dieuwer is offline  
Old Dec 2, 16, 3:10 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Yellow Springs
Programs: AS 100K
Posts: 1,483
Originally Posted by Dieuwer View Post
If I cannot set airfare alert for trips I have not bought yet, it is useless to me.
You should be able to use Tripit to set airfare alerts for unbooked trips by setting up a dummy reservation using a price slightly higher than for which you would like to be alerted.
flymonthly is offline  
Old Dec 5, 16, 8:49 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Seattle WA USA
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 718
Thanks very much for the replies!

I use and like google flights for many things, but find its email alerts unreliable and late. Might be because my primary email isn't gmail, not sure.

Will have to give tripit pro a look.
DaveH is offline  
Old Dec 5, 16, 8:50 pm
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS
Posts: 15,027
Are there any credit cards that give TripIt Pro for free?
Dieuwer is offline  
Old Dec 5, 16, 11:11 pm
  #14  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Snohomish, WA
Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 2,717
Not that I know of, but if you use Concur for booking at work sometimes you get it for free that way. Depends on the company.

Neil
missamo80 is offline  
Old Dec 7, 16, 10:49 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Programs: Alaska MVP, Kimpton IC,Hilton Diamond,Costco Exec,Safeway Club Card
Posts: 283
Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
I have used yapta for a few years with great results. Whenever a fare dropped, I'd get an email, and then could claim the fare difference credit from AS.

But I've noticed in the last month or so that yapta isn't reliably checking my trip prices more than once a week or so, oddly...

What do the rest of you use to track price drops? TIA for your thoughts!
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I have been relying on yapta for years and it has saved me quite a bit over that time, but I didn't realize that it is now terrible.

Just looked at a flight it was asked to track and it showed that it had not "checked price" for 10 days...

Too bad google flights doesn't let you enter a specific price to track like yapta.
RogerMurdock is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread