Wiki Posts
Search

Bombardier Q400 planes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by firehawk
which seems scary.
The Q400 is a great plane. Plenty safe and thousands of passengers fly them each day, made more comfortable by the provision of great Horizon service.

I, as long with everyone in this thread it seems, would recommend you fly the Q. If you've never flown one how can you know for certain they are scary?
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
As for turbulence, the Q400 is only more prone to turbulence than a 737 due to the lower altitude they fly.
Only? No. The difference in the way the two aircraft handle turbulence is due solely to wing loading, all other things being equal. The 737 has a higher wing loading than a Q400, and will therefore cut through any turbulence "better" than a Q400.

Also: If I'm in the very front or back of a Q400, it's decently quiet. If I'm stuck in the middle, I wear earplugs.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
I've always liked flying on the Q400, at least for short distances. Just avoid sitting near the wing if you don't want your view blocked by the prop (and also the noise). The noise and vibration doesn't bother me at all. I'd say it reminds me of having a large purring cat sitting on my lap.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Not having been on one before, I am wondering in all honesty, what are they like?
Try them out before you judge them. IMO they're more comfortable for short flights than a CRJ200, which is a jet.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Kaphias
Only? No. The difference in the way the two aircraft handle turbulence is due solely to wing loading, all other things being equal. The 737 has a higher wing loading than a Q400, and will therefore cut through any turbulence "better" than a Q400.

Also: If I'm in the very front or back of a Q400, it's decently quiet. If I'm stuck in the middle, I wear earplugs.
True, but the difference between the two isn't going to be noticeable. The bigger issue is not dealing with turbulence, rather avoiding it completely.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by BearX220
Try them out before you judge them. IMO they're more comfortable for short flights than a CRJ200, which is a jet.
Hands down YES. Stay away from the CRJ200 torture tubes.

There is actual headroom in the Q400.

You'll be fine
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Not sure what would have changed from starting a nearly identical thread from two months ago. Props are perfectly fine, safe, and reliable planes to fly. If you're really that worried and prefer a jet despite having never been in a prop, DL will start flying the CRJ-700 on SEA-EUG in April.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
This again? Try it..if you don't like it then drive or take the train next time (and statistically, neither of the latter options are as safe).
Old Dec 28, 2016, 2:03 pm

..and very...sicky? :P
And depending what time of day Free beer or wine
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:04 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Ive flown SEA PDX, SEA MSO, SEA BOI, SEA EAT, SEA YAK, SEA HNL, SEA BZN, SEA STS, SEA PSC, SEA ALW, SEA LSW, SEA TWF, SEA GEG, SEA EUG, and SEA BIL. (plus all the returns of course, there might be more but that is all I could think of off the top of my head). They are absolutely fine.

Tips: if it is rainy or cold, wait to debark until the bags on the Ala carte are out. (why stand outside in cold or rain?)

Ask VERY nicely if there is an empty row, even if at the propeller it is nice to have both seats to yourself

Last row seats often get two servings of the beer/wine/other options.

Are they worse than a 737? well, there is no FC, but otherwise they are ok. I read my Kindle, rarely use my iPod and earphones so obviously I am not bothered by noise. It is impossible to work on a laptop, but I have had less room on larger jets and could not work on them either.

Are they worse than the CRJs? They seem about the same to me, although the exit rows have more leg room than row 2 on the Q 400.

If you are looking for an experience such as the "mood" lighting on VX then you will be disappointed unless you love beige. (newer ones, though rare are brighter)

Bottom line is that if you need to get between point A and B, and you have a choice of a CRJ or a Q400 go for time of day, length of flight, and cost. Those are much more relevant for decisions IMHO
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
I hate prop based planes ........

Not having been on one before, ..............
If you've not been on them before, how do you know you "hate" them?

Seriously though, you'll be fine. I've done SEA-EUG multiple times on Horizon Q400s and have done over 50 segments on Q400, ATR and Fairchild prop planes this year and lived to tell the tale. Flying a Q400 hands down beats fighting traffic on I5, and Eugene airport is quite user friendly.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ctporter
Ive flown ... SEA YAK, SEA HNL, ... (plus all the returns of course, there might be more but that is all I could think of off the top of my head).
I trust you mean SEA-YKM and SEA-HLN
(Yakutat might be makeable, but Honolulu would require a ferry configuration with an extra fuel tank)

Originally Posted by ctporter
They are absolutely fine.
Tips: if it is rainy or cold, wait to debark until the bags on the Ala carte are out. (why stand outside in cold or rain?) ... Last row seats often get two servings of the beer/wine/other options ... if you need to get between point A and B and you have a choice of a CRJ or a Q400 go for < convenience > and cost. Those are much more relevant for decisions IMHO
concur with all
Old Dec 29, 2016, 6:48 pm

Safe? Yes. As enjoyable a customer experience as most jets? Not IMO. But if there are no other options than driving take the Q400.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:55 am

If bumps in the road don't scare you when driving your car...why do bumps in flight?

Its the same thing really....

And turbulence has to be "Extreme" to damage the aircraft if that's your fear... just as a bump in the road has to be pretty extreme to really damage your car....

Note... unless your informant was on one of a small number of well known flights, they are unlikely to have experienced anything worse than "moderate" turbulence.... weather radar and forecasting these days tends to keep us away from really nasty conditions... (yes, I said tends!)

Personally I LOVE Q400s... SAAB 340s... Beech 1900s...ATR 72s (but not the Texas Lawn dart...lol) They actually FEEL like an aeroplane!

Full disclosure.... they feel quite BIG to me... I did over 1000 skydiving sorties in everything from a C172 Hawk to a Twin Otter....
Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by trooper
Personally I LOVE Q400s... SAAB 340s... Beech 1900s...ATR 72s (but not the Texas Lawn dart...lol) They actually FEEL like an aeroplane!
^ glad to know of another turboprop aficionado out there ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.