Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Alaska Airlines consider new tier?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I'd like a pair of AA SWU's at 100K

Imagine a second set at 150K (or DL ones then)
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
I can only give my opinion but couple things I agree and disagree

This year I'm a AA EXP (150K EQM), AS (120K), JL Sapphire (80K) then of course little A3 Gold.
And we still have 3 months to go and I've been grounded for the last 3 weeks

Matched from AA EXP > AS 75K then requalify via 90K Partners last year
This Year, at 120K now and requal via 90K Partners in August
My spread is 35K AS, 120K Partners.

OP, firstly are you requal via 75K AS only or 90K Partners?
I can really see where that could be a distinction

Originally Posted by tbau
It seems to me like there should be a new Mileage Plan tier above 75k. Maybe 100k? Especially with Virgin America coming aboard there will be plenty of other people crowding the 75k class. The reduction of the number of first class seats and more competition will make 75k slightly devalued going forward in my eyes.
Firstly this.
100K AS metal would mean around 20-24 RT on Transcon, hardly impossible but still a torture with 36" pitch in First.
If you can do 100K anyway, firstly why aren't you flying AA/UA/DL unless you do absolutely 0 Long Haul?
I like miles and benefits as much as the any FTer but that's alot of 739ers you'll be seeing in a year where I would want that extra 1-2" up front.

Plus if you do 100K AS, what's the partner requal going to be?
125K? Little low vs. 90K for G75?
140K? Now you are going above the Majors and just culling the herds for the sake of culling?

Originally Posted by tbau
I would suggest that even without the merger there is a good case to be made for a higher tier. The merger / acquisition of Virgin only helps build the case. Currently there is an abundance of 75k, just this week I was #16 on a waitlist for SEA>ORD for a ticket purchase date 2 weeks prior. Crazy. I can think of plenty of additional benefits for a new 100k tier:
1) higher upgrade priority
2) free meal in coach
3) comp drinks in coach (more than 1)
3) Better boarding priority - now it's inconsistent but mostly "all 75k, and gold, and passengers wearing a sports jersey" (sarcasm intended)
4) more guest upgrade certs
5) higher mileage accrual bonus
6) BR access or passes
7) free onboard wi-fi
I'm sure I could come up with a dozen or so more, but there's plenty of room for improvement for the new Plutonium Level at 100k Alaska metal mile fliers. Right now a 100k AS flyer doesn't have much over a 40k gold.
#16 SEA-ORD, OK I feel bad for you.
Only thought SEA-EWR was only that bad.
And that was seeing myself like #4 on SEA-ANC this august, that was shocking enough

#1A) I guess that falls back to the 75K AS vs. 90K partner.
If I'm on a AS Transcon (especially SEA-NYC), chances are I'm burning GUC or I'm flying someone else.
That works if you're requal via partner, doesn't work for in-house elites

#1B) More Upgrade Levels
Doesn't necessary do anything in my view, there will always be people willing to burn GUC to "Trump" you

#2) Free Food
I would take that over Digiplayers for sure.

#3) Boarding
Maybe First and new 100K board before Pre-Boards

#4) More Guest Upgrade Certs
Refer back to #1B.

#5) Higher Mileage Accrual Bonus
If we're at 125% RDM Bonus for 75K
What would they do for 100K, 150%?
Any more and we might as well walk into the "Alaska" Mint and electronically issued our own miles then they will just make AS faster to do the "Cash Multipler" Crap

#6) Boardroom
They would been a good idea, comped BR access

#7) Wifi
I would love it but that will never happen.
The only ones I see that do free wifi
A) 3 Class First on Qatar, Etihad (not sure if it was trial or permanent) or Business Class on Turkish
B) Turkish Elites onboard
Way too much of a Revenue stream

Originally Posted by BOB W
And YES, they have struggled to come up with more benefits for 75K over Gold. What could they possibly add to a higher tier other than free food in Y (which is a 1MM benefit only right now).
I have one, buy 787s and run them on SEA/SFO-NYC and SEA TPAC.
And have 2-4 Longhaul Upgrade Coupons
I wish

I just don't see why another tier would do any good at this stage
while AS is A) Domestic Carrier and B) Very Minimal Alliance Benefits (LHR Lounges for 4 months or KEF don't count in my books)

If you do 100K
In-House elites are more likely to fly the Majors with more comfortable seats.

Partner Elites (such as myself)
- We don't fly all that much AS metal so I don't necessary compete too much vs in-house elites on upgrade
- I don't see myself as unprofitable for AS since partner pay miles to AS while using minimal benefits.
The only major benefit of AS to me is CX First/Business and No Change Fee.

Thats what I can think of for now, I'll edit some more later if more ideas pop up
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:43 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Add JL F on international flights to the complementary category as of August.

ETA: 15 minutes complementary WiFi in all cabins on JL domestic from April through next March.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:10 pm

26 years of flying AS from NorCal - that's a lot of hard work grinding out top level status year after year. Someone mentioned certs on a post. Used to look forward to my monthly statement for those - collected them for F upgrades on the 'long' flights. You guys that blow by 100K - God Bless 'Ya! I truly don't expect a noticeable squeeze with the VX integration on my travel profile. Commuting to SoCal via PSP - might see more scheduled flights there. In any case, I'm a happy customer with the schedules I can pick and choose.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:20 pm
Original Member

Southwest does free wifi at their A-List Preferred level (50 one-way flights or 70k Tier Points), you just login and are good to go.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Since AS has limited flights compared to the big 3, they do not have elite loads of the bigger carriers. There really is no need for a 4th tier. There is barely a need for the 3rd. VX is even more limited in routes so may justify the rd tier a little more but still not enough for a 4th.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CDKing
Since AS has limited flights compared to the big 3, they do not have elite loads of the bigger carriers. There really is no need for a 4th tier. There is barely a need for the 3rd. VX is even more limited in routes so may justify the rd tier a little more but still not enough for a 4th.
Well... when you have 50+ elites on a flight like ORD, DEN, EWR or some ANC, it would be nice.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by beckoa
Well... when you have 50+ elites on a flight like ORD, DEN, EWR or some ANC, it would be nice.

I definitely agree with ANC-SEA and vice versa.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
That's nothing compared to UA out of SFO. Plus isn't like everyone in Alaska an elite on AS or a comped Silver on DL thus causing mile long upgrade lists?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:02 pm

That's nothing compared to UA out of SFO. Plus isn't like everyone in Alaska an elite on AS or a comped Silver on DL thus causing mile long upgrade lists?
Half of this is true... I'll let you guess which half
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I think that would be the case on AA, UA or DL out of any hub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.