Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dogs on Alaska Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:46 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Like most things, there are problems when reasonableness and rationality are ignored.

Some type of documentation should be required, there should be limits to the number and size of the animals and there probably should be some fee in Y.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

I used to work at an Apple Store and a lady would come in every week with her service pony. Not sure where the pony would go on the plane besides in the hold.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
I used to work at an Apple Store and a lady would come in every week with her service pony. Not sure where the pony would go on the plane besides in the hold.
Regular sized or miniature? I know there are some images floating around of people with their miniature ponies and some with much larger pot bellied pigs.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: AS
Perhaps someone can contribute an answer . I somehow remember reading somewhere that there is a certain number of total animals allowed aboard a flight. I seem to remember it is 2.
Someone know???? Thanks
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
Perhaps someone can contribute an answer . I somehow remember reading somewhere that there is a certain number of total animals allowed aboard a flight. I seem to remember it is 2.
Someone know???? Thanks
no limits on service animals or emotional support animals.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:25 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
no limits on service animals or emotional support animals.
So... it's possible to have a farm inside the plane.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by CDKing
Regular sized or miniature? I know there are some images floating around of people with their miniature ponies and some with much larger pot bellied pigs.
It was miniature. (University Village Apple Store, in case you were wondering.)

http://www.frankchimero.com/writing/...e-apple-store/
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by slopeboy40
It IS out of control. I have a "friend" that has one of those little rat-like puntables that she got a bogus tag for, can claim her dog is a "service animal in training" (because she certainly has no disabilities) and takes that thing anywhere and everywhere. It's been going on for 2 or 3 years now. That rat (dog) is not being trained as a service animal. It is a ruse, plain and simple.
Based on my reading, service animals in training are not considered service animals and thus don't fall under the ACAA's coverage. The guide mentions that some states may consider in-training animals to be covered by state law, but I'm not sure how that covers inside the aircraft.

Originally Posted by dayone
Like most things, there are problems when reasonableness and rationality are ignored.

Some type of documentation should be required, there should be limits to the number and size of the animals and there probably should be some fee in Y.
Based on my reading, documentation can be required under the ACAA if the owner can't give "credible verbal confirmation" of the animal's status as a service animal.

Also under the ACAA, emotional support animals are not considered service animals per se, and carriers can request presentation of recent written documentation on the need of the animal.

I don't agree that there should be a per-flight cap or any fees on bona fide service animals... that would be the same as capping the number of wheelchairs or or requiring fees on crutches on board... and I'm guessing the law agrees with that notion.

Originally Posted by flytoeat
This really stinks, but the airlines are in a tough position. Technically, they were within their right to reseat the aisle passenger; that's why all carriers state seating assignments are not guaranteed, only the class of service purchased. Had the flight been fully booked, I wonder if they would have said no to the dogs, or would they have asked for DBC volunteers?
Based on my reading (I'm saying that a lot, aren't I), the carrier at that point can present two options: fly the animal in the cargo hold (with no fee), or offload the passenger onto another flight. The concept of "reasonable accommodation" comes into play... having a disability or a special need is not carte blanche to completely impede onto others.

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Next time, I'm bringing along my therapy python.
Based on my reading, animals that are inherently dangerous may be prohibited from the flight, even if they are service animals. Pythons are in that gray area, but I'm betting an argument could be made that it's inherently dangerous (and yes, I know it was a joke, but still a good illustration).

P.S. I could be completely wrong. I did a quick read of what I thought were the relevant sections in the ACAA and the guide mentioned above.

Last edited by IceTrojan; Jul 27, 2016 at 12:32 am
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:43 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I realize that these are governed by different laws, but it seems ridiculous that an airline cannot ask about service animals when TSA can not only ask about medical conditions but can actually demand a pat down or search if you happen to have a feeding tube or some other medical device or condition. I have a feeding tube an I dread the day I don't get pre-check and end up having to go through the body scanner.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:34 am

Early boarding on Delta Flight

Why does a person requesting extra time to board also need 7 additional family members/friends to accompany them for early boarding. It happened at DTW and Delta gate agent said they didn't question passengers in those situations.
Just shows the length some people will go to game the system at other passengers expense.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by SF_Allen
Why does a person requesting extra time to board also need 7 additional family members/friends to accompany them for early boarding. It happened at DTW and Delta gate agent said they didn't question passengers in those situations. Just shows the length some people will go to game the system at other passengers expense.
more accurately, it just shows how completely self-centered some people are, how little if any consideration they have for others, and how many regulations/procedures intended to make the travel experience a bit more civilized can't be enforced without risk of offending someone

Last edited by jrl767; Jul 28, 2016 at 7:33 am
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
I am a Alaska Gold and work for a US City and we too have had a large issue with "service/therapy" animals entering our libraries, recreation centers and performing arts centers. We have basically adopted the strict definition of a service animal and that is, "Service animals are dogs or miniature horses that are individually trained to work or perform tasks for people with disabilities – such as guiding people with impaired vision, alerting people who are hearing impaired to sounds, pulling wheelchairs, alerting people to an impending seizure or protecting a person during a seizure, or performing other special tasks."

Here are our rules:

Guidelines for Owners of Service Animals

1. No permit is required for the service animal, but the service animal’s owner may be asked how the animal accommodates for their disability.

2. A service animal’s owner must be in full control of the animal at all times. The care and supervision of the service animal is the responsibility solely of the animal’s owner.

3. Reasonable behavior is expected from a service animal. A service animal must not be aggressive or disruptive.

4. Service animal owners are responsible for any damage or soiling caused by the animal.

5. Service animals must be in good health.

I do believe that the service animal rules are being abused by people who want to transport their animals. While their may be risks, I believe airline employees and TSA need to start enforcing the strict definition of service animals, as long as they get appropriate training on what to do.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Klrduks
Guidelines for Owners of Service Animals

1. No permit is required for the service animal, but the service animal’s owner may be asked how the animal accommodates for their disability.
I'm not an expert by any means but I'm pretty sure that the question of how the animal accommodates the individual is against the law. I was under the impression that you can only ask if the animal is a service animal and if it is trained to provide a specific service (Of course it could be argued that asking about training does ask how the animal accommodates the individual)

I'm mostly for the all animals in the cargo hold. I don't think it's fair that my well-trained large dogs have to ride in the hold, and can't go at all on some airlines while others can take their totally untrained little rats on the plane. However there are some situations where having the animal with the person in flight would be desired (for example a seizure alert dog).
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by 3furballs
I'm not an expert by any means but I'm pretty sure that the question of how the animal accommodates the individual is against the law.
Actually, under the Air Carrier Access Act, agents may ask a customer what tasks or functions their animal performs for them, a description of how the animal performs that task or function, along with asking if the customer needs any assistance from airline personnel.

What is illegal would be asking things like:
  • What is your disability?
  • Do you have documentation of your disability?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:05 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE Morning Calm, AA Gold
Had an interesting experience with this flying SEA-TUS this morning.

The row across from me where my travel companion was sitting had 4 service dogs sitting there that belonged to a mother and her daughter, all of which were out of their carriers for the entirety of the flight. In addition to that, a couple sat down in my row with one of their dogs, and shortly after one of the 4 dogs across the aisle started growling at it, causing their dog to shake uncontrollably and resulting in a pretty tense boarding process.

The couple's dog in my row did not appear to be a service dog as it was required to go into its carrier after boarding, and I noticed they were quite irritated that the rules seemingly did not apply to the dogs across from them.

Also, at some point throughout the flight, the owners of the 4 service dogs were asleep, and my travel companion had to physically prevent one of the dogs from entering the aisle and escaping their row.

Sure was an interesting flight nonetheless, and it seems like there's a lot of people abusing this policy. I can't imagine why anyone would need 4 dogs with them at all the times on an airplane, unless they're simply trying to take advantage of the overly lean regulations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.