Wiki Posts
Search

Why did my W fare turn into an A fare?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Why did my W fare turn into an A fare?

Not that I am complaining, but it would be nice to know if this was a fluke, or something that is exploitable. Here is the background.

Last August I booked an award fare through the AS website on BA/AS. The itinerary I booked was ZAG-LHR in Business (U), LHR-SEA in First (Z), and SEA-ANC in Coach (W). Cost was 70,000 miles and $280 something. When it came time to check in for my flight last week, I opened my AS App to check in for my final leg of the flight, and noticed my seat said 2C instead of 17D. I thought it was strange, as award fares aren't upgradable, and I am only an MVP. I looked in my AS account and my flight wasn't even showing an upgraded fare, but instead an (A) Fare.

It was cool because I was finally able to check out the new Boardroom in SEA at the N gates. Plus, who wants to fly coach after getting out of a first class suite on BA? So does anyone have a guess as to how this happened?
Old Jun 25, 2016, 1:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG
On AS first and business class awards you'll be waitlisted for first class on AS flights when you are in coach. If A class opens up you should be upgraded when the upgrade process runs at anytime. Doesn't need to be within any upgrade window, or dependent on elite status.

Here's a recent discussion about it:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1772321-waitlisting-class-never-clears.htm

Certainly felt good seeing the change I bet
Old Jun 25, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Learned something new today - thanks for sharing!
Old Jun 25, 2016, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Thanks AlphaEagle, I thought this might be the case, but wasn't sure. This will make me less hesitant to book mixed-fare awards in the future! I'm assuming that this secret waitlist isn't visible to the public anywhere, correct?
Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Thanks AlphaEagle, I thought this might be the case, but wasn't sure. This will make me less hesitant to book mixed-fare awards in the future! I'm assuming that this secret waitlist isn't visible to the public anywhere, correct?
It usually shows waitlisted...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.