Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Feasible to Leave Airport During 10 Hour Layover in SEA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feasible to Leave Airport During 10 Hour Layover in SEA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Wow, thanks, everyone! I wasn't looking for things to do; I know the Seattle area well. But I've not been to the MOF; that sounds really interesting, and worth a little work to get to.

And I think I'll give Ken's Baggage a try. That seems most convenient and not too much $. But there were some interesting other suggestions. Good to know there are options.

Off to the airport soon!

Cheers,
Don
Old Jun 26, 2016, 3:38 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
You can also leave your bag with the doorman at any hotel downtown for a decent tip.
Not during cruise season... I mean you MIGHT find one willing to do it, but it would be cheaper to just leave it at Kens.

I just checked, and a car rental would only run you $22 all in for the day or less. That's what I would do. That would at least give you the option of the MOF, and a couple of the parks in the area, plus you will get points for it, lol.

Last edited by tatterdema; Jun 26, 2016 at 3:45 am
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
downtown traffic and parking in cruise/tourist season are nightmarish
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
On a related note - Are there any airports where it's NOT feasible to leave the airport during a 10hr layover? I know in some places, people might need a visa to leave the airport. More thinking about the logistics of getting out of an airport and into the big city it's named after.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: UA1K
i've done day trips to SEA as well (land at 10am, leave at 6:50pm). it's so easy to hop on the train and go into the city. i highly recommend it!
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
On a related note - Are there any airports where it's NOT feasible to leave the airport during a 10hr layover? I know in some places, people might need a visa to leave the airport. More thinking about the logistics of getting out of an airport and into the big city it's named after.
any place in the US you're good
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Often1
You can also leave your bag with the doorman at any hotel downtown for a decent tip.
For that matter, there are plenty of characters in Pioneer Square who you can leave your bag with, no tip required.

Getting it back later might be an issue, though...
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
An alternative to downtown would be to take a brief taxi/Uber ride over to the airplane museum or whatever the one near SEA-TAC is called.

The Boeing plant is far on the other side of downtown from the airport. Their tours require reservations in advance and probably don't operate on Sundays.

You could rent a car and leave the luggage in the trunk. Unfortunately SEA now has a car rental center located some distance from the airport terminals, so you lose some time compared to many similarly sized airports. In addition to downtown [there's a tour of the "underground city", a good art museum, obviously the Space Needle, an art/glass exhibit that I think is permanently shown in a gallery in the little park around the Space Needle (plus more in one of the hotels, IIRC the Sheraton by convention center), the market, and in a small park along the way toward the U of Washington campus, a salmon "ladder" that's fun to see when the fish are active], you could take some scenic roads and bridges and perhaps check out the wine tasting rooms in Woodenville.
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
A mix of some good info in this thread, and some really bad misinformation/ignorance.

Overall good: yes, Kens should still be a going concern, and an obvious place to drop your bag. Give them a call first to check open hours and what you can expect to pay. But consider checking that monster for your next leg - do you really want/need to lug that along with you? Might be cheaper to check it than store it for half a day...

The"airplane museum" is the Museum of Flight (MOF). It's located on Boeing Field, which is NOT on the other (far) end of the Seattle area. It does NOT require a reservation. Boeing Field is easy and quick to get to from Seatac if you have a car. If you don't, it's a bit of PITA to reach. Without a car, I'd take a taxi (without bad traffic, about 15 minutes dive from Seatac). The MOF is great if you have an interest in aviation, probably a yawn-fest if you have none. BTW, the other aviation museum/facilities that were probably referenced are at Everett's Paine Field, much further away to the north. There are actually a bunch of interesting facilities there, all of which seem to have been conflated (all of which have more restrictive hours and availability): there's the Boeing Factory Tour, Flying Heritage Collection, Historic Flight Foundation, etc. Those are not really practical for a quick visit unless you are really dedicated and organized, have planned ahead, and have wheels.

Note that traffic in Seattle is generally nightmarish now (the city - and the airport - is so overcrowded I hardly recognize it anymore, sigh...). Allow yourself way more time than you think it could possible take to get anywhere. It's Gay Pride weekend, too, (plus multiple sports events going on) which will make traffic worse than usual. At least Obama's just left town (an hour ago), so large swaths of the city won't be completely shut-down iike they have been for the past 24 hours, just the regular gridlock as is the new norm.
Please read my post. I did not confuse the locations of the Museum of Flight and the Boeing assembly plant. The latter is on the opposite side of Seattle from the (main commercial) SEA airport. The former is pretty close to SEA but I suggested taxi/uber/rental car rather than trying to get to and from there by public transportation. In fact, my post didn't mention Boeing Field at all.

Tours of Boeing's assembly line require advanced reservations; visits to the museum do not (except possibly for some special events).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.