Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Separate Tickets: BA and AS issue with delayed flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2016, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Here is a scenario that happened to me today on my way back from Amsterdam.

I had booked AMS-LHR-LAX with BA on one ticket and LAX-SEA on a separate ticket with AS.

My flight out of AMS was delayed that made me miss my LHR-LAX flight. They were able to book me on a later LHR-LAX flight but it made me miss my AS LAX-SEA flight.

I suggested that BA rebook me LHR-SEA direct to avoid having to deal with the missed AS flight (booked on a different ticket).

The first agent I spoke with said that BA and AS are not partners (incorrect) and that my final destination according to the ticket I had booked was LAX (which is technically true) so he couldn't switch my ticket to LHR-SEA.

I tried another agent and she started by saying the same thing. I told her, however, I had a separate ticket booked on AS and reminded her that BA & AS are partners.

She was able to work some magic and get me booked on the LHR-SEA flight. I was able to cancel my LAX-SEA ticket (and get a refund for it).

Clearly she was doing me a favor and I was very thankful, but here is my question.

Do AS and BA have an agreement that if you have separate bookings, they will still see it as one trip? I know oneworld has this (see this article http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ghts-go-wrong/ but do AS and BA (or other AS partners) have a similar agreement?
Old May 30, 2016, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
AS and BA do not have an agreement for separate tickets. You got *very* lucky. Now go buy a lottery ticket
Old May 30, 2016, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
AS and BA do not have an agreement for separate tickets. You got *very* lucky. Now go buy a lottery ticket
Interesting! But she was able to make the change; so clearly there is some discretion for BA staff.

For all the issues I had with BA today; I guess this agent redeemed the company for me!
Old May 30, 2016, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
They may have wanted to avoid EU 261 compensation issues.

What class ticket did you have that allowed a refund? Seems you might have been able to change it for free, too.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
They may have wanted to avoid EU 261 compensation issues.

What class ticket did you have that allowed a refund? Seems you might have been able to change it for free, too.
It was class "I" -- the cheap business ticket I believe. I'm not sure it allowed a refund actually.
Old May 31, 2016, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
I don't believe the OP was merely lucky. BA have done this for me twice in similar situations. The airport personnel have a great deal of discretion to make these changes and avoid having to pay under EC regulation 261/2004.
Old May 31, 2016, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Oneworld requires that the carriers accommodate customers in this situation IF you are connecting between oneworld carriers.

It's possible that AS being a partner was enough to confuse the agent into doing this (had the LAX-SEA flight been AA, the agent would have been required to do this). After all, it is not like BA to bend a rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.