Search

Connecting in GEG

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Connecting in GEG

Next summer I'll be on an award ticket from PDX-MSP that has me connecting from a QX flight to a DL flight in GEG. On this trip, I'll be with my wife and kids and figured GEG would be a relatively easy, small airport in which to make a connection. When I looked at the terminal map online, it looks like QX and DL flights are in different terminals with no connector, therefore requiring us to exit and re-clear security. Is that really the case or is there a way to go from one terminal to the other without the hassle?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Next summer I'll be on an award ticket from PDX-MSP that has me connecting from a QX flight to a DL flight in GEG. On this trip, I'll be with my wife and kids and figured GEG would be a relatively easy, small airport in which to make a connection. When I looked at the terminal map online, it looks like QX and DL flights are in different terminals with no connector, therefore requiring us to exit and re-clear security. Is that really the case or is there a way to go from one terminal to the other without the hassle?
Ouch..you might want to change those awards. Pretty sure you'll need to exit security if transferring over to the Delta gates as they're in a different terminal (Term B). Only Term A and B are connected airside, and of course AS is over in C.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:21 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by United757
you'll need to exit security if transferring over to the Delta gates as they're in a different terminal (Term B). Only Term A and B are connected airside, and of course AS is over in C.
Yes, you'll have to exit security but the walk from C to B is quite manageable. It's shorter than the walk to the rental car counters.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by United757
Ouch..you might want to change those awards. Pretty sure you'll need to exit security if transferring over to the Delta gates as they're in a different terminal (Term B). Only Term A and B are connected airside, and of course AS is over in C.
Yeah, my preference is the non-stop PDX-MSP on the E175 but there are 4 of us and unfortunately not that much award space. I rarely go to GEG so I never thought that they wouldn't have all the gates accessible within security...oh well.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, Marriott Gold, SPG
Yeah, my preference is the non-stop PDX-MSP on the E175 but there are 4 of us and unfortunately not that much award space. I rarely go to GEG so I never thought that they wouldn't have all the gates accessible within security...oh well.
You are talking about a tiny airport with zero wait time. I wouldn't stress it at all. Keep your ticket, the only time involved with the maneuver will be the time exiting and then entering another terminal. No wait time in security, you are good to go.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by willyplur
You are talking about a tiny airport with zero wait time. I wouldn't stress it at all. Keep your ticket, the only time involved with the maneuver will be the time exiting and then entering another terminal. No wait time in security, you are good to go.
Yeah, I'm not going to change my ticket...it's just an unexpected annoyance. Maybe someday they'll build a connector like they eventually did at PDX
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:45 am

Maybe someday they'll build a connector like they eventually did at PDX
Originally Posted by willyplur
You are talking about a tiny airport with zero wait time.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
Next summer I'll be on an award ticket from ...figured GEG would be a relatively easy, small airport ...
Now that you know, it really isn't a big deal at GEG. As you mentioned, it is small and easy and the traffic is generally spread out enough that it isn't terribly busy. It's annoying but very manageable at GEG.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Seems like a waste of TSA resources to staff separate security gates at such a small airport.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Seems like a waste of TSA resources to staff separate security gates at such a small airport.
That's what I thought.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:49 pm

Last time I was at GEG, I saw a longish line at A/B, presumably for the Southwest flights. Don't know how routine that is, though. Or whether Precheck/Global Entry would help.

I was going to C, so didn't have to wait.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Last time I was at GEG, I saw a longish line at A/B, presumably for the Southwest flights. Don't know how routine that is, though. Or whether Precheck/Global Entry would help.

I was going to C, so didn't have to wait.
It looks like UA, WN, and DL are all in the A/B section so that makes sense that the A/B security check-point would be the longest. I didn't book long connection times since I figured it was going to take about 5-10 min. to go from the QX gates to the DL gates, but I guess I was wrong on that one.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:14 pm

Let's not get overdramatic. This isn't like making an international connection. We're not talking about ATL or DFW here.

Ten minutes is probably fine.

Last edited by dayone; Apr 22, 2016 at 10:15 am Reason: Typo.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:46 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
If I did it in DFW when I was 15, you surely can do it in GEG.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1k; 1MM, HH Diamond; Hertz PC, Costco member
Are you on the 11:15 to 12:20 flight from PDX; then leaving on the 1:30 delta flight?

Assuming you leave PDX flight timely, you should arrive in Spokane early (flight times are usually around 50 minutes).

C is a great terminal and you will be out in less than 5 minutes. The walk from C to A/B is like the full length of C in PDX (without moving sidewalks) - maybe 10 minutes if you have little kids. Getting to the rental counter is like walking to downtown Portland (ok, maybe slightly exaggerated!).

Waits are much better than they use to be before construction but have gotten longer again mid-day as they cut staff ( nothing like Seattle). Our 2 busiest times are 5:30a and 1:00p as many flights leave then. Just looking at the lines (precheck is great now) I'd guess it would be close to 10 minutes. Delta gates are at the end of B - but it's like getting to the B gates in PDX.

So total time maybe 20-25 minutes if you have little kids. Grown kids 10-20 minutes. Precheck family 10-15 minutes.

BTW - I do fly to ATL (a lot) and DFW; GEG can be longer because of the C to AB walk/security

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.