Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by lincoln boy
I am surprised that nobody is complaining that there is no EY availability between DXB and US after 12/28..
And, why would we care about Etihad here in the Emirates thread?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by DrAlex
And, why would we care about Etihad here in the Emirates thread?
My bad typo should be EK.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:03 pm

Anyone knows if EK availability is good or bad in general? It's so hard to find space in June and July but seems pretty good in other month?
Old May 8, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Newbie (AS award booker) question: I am looking at an award xxx-DXB-SFO with the first shorter leg in coach and the second more important leg in business class. I am willing to fly the mixed class award as available now. However, is it possible/easy to get the award modified or reissued with the first leg in business class if it becomes available later on? Would it require cancel/rebook (I am MVPG), and would that risk losing the more important longer leg business class seat?
Old May 8, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
You should be able to change the first leg to business class if available without losing the second leg. I’ve done it many times.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
[...]

However, is it possible/easy to get the award modified or reissued with the first leg in business class if it becomes available later on? Would it require cancel/rebook (I am MVPG), and would that risk losing the more important longer leg business class seat?
There is no risk of losing the second segment. It is processed as a change to the first segment and a reissue of the ticket. If you change an itinerary to move to a higher cabin for which you have already paid, there is no change fee so your MVPG Elite staus (congratulations) change fee waiver does not come into play in this scenario. If you had originally booked all Y and wanted to change to J, the change fee would apply. For you, your MVPG change fee waiver would kick in.

There may be a small differential in fees & taxes. I upgraded a CX flight from HKG-BOS from J to F and the difference was $3.65 plus the additional points.

James in Seoul
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite
FWIW and unrelated to previous posts, there is a lot of J and F availability on EK on IAH-DXB. Departing IAH as early as Aug 22.
Couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on F, good redemption value at 300k miles for a 15k ticket of course, but J at 165K miles was just more reasonable. Going to DXB in Sep, pretty excited about it!

I would have been able to depart from and return to ATL for the same mileage but it routed me ATL-SEA-IAH-DXB and that just didn't make any sense. Will just fly BNA-IAH direct on UA (*A award ticket) and save myself a lot of time/layovers.

Was surprised to see quite a bit of IAH-DXB availability on EK. There is also a lot of F availability on BA via LHR but it's 1k fuel surcharge each way for F.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: Alaska Air
Can anyone let me know if we can add segment to existing award ticket on Emirates without reissuing the ticket. Planning to fly COK-DXB-YYZ , I can find award space for DXB-YYZ and would like to book , cannot find award space for COK-DXB for now. The Mileage points requirements are the same if the travel originates from COK or DXB ( 82.5K Miles) . Emirates releases the award space for COK-DXB only three months before departure ...
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Yiran Liu
Anyone knows if EK availability is good or bad in general? It's so hard to find space in June and July but seems pretty good in other month?
They tend often to open space just a couple days before departure.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by csanthosh
Can anyone let me know if we can add segment to existing award ticket on Emirates without reissuing the ticket. Planning to fly COK-DXB-YYZ , I can find award space for DXB-YYZ and would like to book , cannot find award space for COK-DXB for now. The Mileage points requirements are the same if the travel originates from COK or DXB ( 82.5K Miles) . Emirates releases the award space for COK-DXB only three months before departure ...
Adding a segment is a re-issue, at least if you change the origin or destination of the ticket like you are looking to do, and you will have to pay a change fee unless you have a fee waiver. Something simple like a schedule change should just be a revalidation, not a re-issue.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite
Something perhaps related, I was able to book DFW-DXB-HKG, but was unable to book DFW-DXB and then DXB-HKG on a separate award ticket. I looked around quite a bit as my dates were flexible but wasn't able to find any DXB-HKG round-trip in September. Going in F it's 180k one way for DFW-DXB-HKG which makes the DXB-HKG a 30k leg in F and an amazing deal when booked together. It allowed me to add a couple days in DXB as layover. The route is an update from my previous post. I figured that I am sitting on too many AS miles and didn't want to wait for them to be potentially be devalued. Also wanted to do EK F on the A380 before they scrap it.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MeanwhileBackAtFAI
Something perhaps related, I was able to book DFW-DXB-HKG, but was unable to book DFW-DXB and then DXB-HKG on a separate award ticket. I looked around quite a bit as my dates were flexible but wasn't able to find any DXB-HKG round-trip in September. Going in F it's 180k one way for DFW-DXB-HKG which makes the DXB-HKG a 30k leg in F and an amazing deal when booked together. It allowed me to add a couple days in DXB as layover. The route is an update from my previous post. I figured that I am sitting on too many AS miles and didn't want to wait for them to be potentially be devalued. Also wanted to do EK F on the A380 before they scrap it.
AS Mileage Plan awards for EK are only valid on Routes to/from North America. You cannot book DXB-HKG on EK with Mileage Plan. However, AS allows a stopover on one-way awards as you have done.

Each partner has a different award chart and valid routings. While you cannot book DXB-HKG on EK, you can book the route on CF. CX F is 45K miles but for only 25K more you can add a North America TPAC F and connection from the NA gateway home. While the charts show CX F for 45K, in reality those routes are operated without an F cabin.

You can check here to deterime what airline(s) can be booked from your starting region.

James
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:45 am

I have been looking to book JFK-DXB biz for 4 people using AS. Ever since the schedule opened for June 2020, I am not seeing any availability, not even for 1 passenger. Is this a popular time to travel to Dubai? Or will there be some availability in the next few weeks.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Allathompson
I have been looking to book JFK-DXB biz for 4 people using AS. Ever since the schedule opened for June 2020, I am not seeing any availability, not even for 1 passenger. Is this a popular time to travel to Dubai? Or will there be some availability in the next few weeks.
Lots of EK space in coach for up to four people but no business. BA has space in first if you don't mind the fees.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Allathompson
JFK does not seem to be opened up yet. I see 2J seats from EWR 6/3. 4J from LAX 6/2, 6/3. 4J from BOS 6/1, 6/2, 6/3, 6/4, 6/7, 6/8, 6/10.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.