Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:15 am

how difficult is it to get business class award availability to DXB from USA, I've mainly tried from FLL, I was looking at booking to BKK, and never realized until just now that its always mixed cabin and the first leg is coach.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bernyx
how difficult is it to get business class award availability to DXB from USA, I've mainly tried from FLL, I was looking at booking to BKK, and never realized until just now that its always mixed cabin and the first leg is coach.
Just do a calendar search to DXB, and select "business class" on the left. That should let you see availability a month at a time, pretty easily. By changing the month in the drop-down you can see the whole next year of availability in a couple of minutes.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Not too difficult if you are flexible on dates. Even less difficult if you are flexible on gateways. Some months are tougher than others. You may have more luck further out.

Try searching with the calendar view for the US-DXB segment only then when you find that see if you can get the whole trip in business. You have an advantage others don't have with AS miles. You can stopover in DXB for a day or two to get J availability all the way through even if there is not a less than 24 hour connecting itinerary with all J (since AS allows stopovers in DXB on EK even on one-way tickets).
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Not too difficult if you are flexible on dates. Even less difficult if you are flexible on gateways. Some months are tougher than others. You may have more luck further out.

Try searching with the calendar view for the US-DXB segment only then when you find that see if you can get the whole trip in business. You have an advantage others don't have with AS miles. You can stopover in DXB for a day or two to get J availability all the way through even if there is not a less than 24 hour connecting itinerary with all J (since AS allows stopovers in DXB on EK even on one-way tickets).
do you know the limit on how long you can stopover in dxb?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: UA, AS
do you know the limit on how long you can stopover in dxb?
There is no limit other than flight availability so you can stopover for almost 11 months if you desire and can get a visa for that long in DXB. You can see this yourself (and book it yourself) by searching for a multi-city itinerary online. So long as you have done your homework and you know there is availability for the individual segments, FLL-DXB and DXB-BKK you can plug those dates into the multi-city booking on the website and book them.

For example, you can book 12/29/18 DFW-DXB (stop) 11/21/19 DXB-BKK all for the miles price of DFW-BKK direct.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Dec 28, 2018 at 8:41 am
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
There is no limit other than flight availability so you can stopover for almost 11 months if you desire and can get a visa for that long in DXB. You can see this yourself (and book it yourself) by searching for a multi-city itinerary online. So long as you have done your homework and you know there is availability for the individual segments, FLL-DXB and DXB-BKK you can plug those dates into the multi-city booking on the website and book them.

For example, you can book 12/29/18 DFW-DXB (stop) 11/21/19 DXB-BKK all for the miles price of DFW-BKK direct.

Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:46 am

How is availability with the new 777 suites? Seems like last minute flights are the way to go?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I thought they weren't available for award redemptions?
DrAlex likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by ffman999
Me too but saw a blog talking about last minute awards.

We did take a recent look at the Geneva route and it appears availability, typically for 2 suites on each flight, does tend to appear around 2 days before departure subject to the booked load. That’s to say if you’re looking to fly tomorrow or the next day, you may well secure these seats with points. Qantas Frequent Flyer had the same access to these award seats when we checked.
https://mainlymiles.com/2018/10/31/r...t-class-suite/
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by ffman999
It's not bookable as a direct on the AS award chart, so a direct cannot be booked through AS. Alaska Award Chart. Only carrier for Middle East to/from Europe awards is Finnair (limited to Eilat, Tel Aviv & Dubai?). {see correction in next post}

Last edited by DrAlex; Jan 8, 2019 at 1:38 pm Reason: Edited for accuracy
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Unitedfly1
Me too but saw a blog talking about last minute awards.

https://mainlymiles.com/2018/10/31/r...t-class-suite/

Originally Posted by DrAlex
It's not on the AS award chart, so it cannot be booked through AS. Alaska Award Chart. Only carrier for Middle East to Europe awards is Finnair.
You could book a DXB-GVA segment as part of a USA-DXB-GVA award on AS. 180k miles per the award chart.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:32 pm

Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You could book a DXB-GVA segment as part of a USA-DXB-GVA award on AS. 180k miles per the award chart.
Sneaky! Yep, I stand corrected. Available as a OW GVA-SFO March 10th, 17th, & 25th
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Is this a new thing? Alaska is not showing Emirates award flights to/from DXB during the weekends before/after Thanksgiving week? Going to DXB, there is tons of coach/biz availability from IAD every day except zero for the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday before Thanksgiving. Then, the same thing happens on the return, tons of availability except for the Saturday, Sunday, and Monday after Thanksgiving. Only BA flights show up. This seems like a deliberate attempt by Alaska to block award redemptions on Emirates going to Dubai for Thanksgiving break. I understand that award space is always capacity controlled, but I find it hard to believe that they are already completely sold out of econ AND biz on the best dates for traveling over the weeklong holiday.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by mpeterson78
Is this a new thing? Alaska is not showing Emirates award flights to/from DXB during the weekends before/after Thanksgiving week? Going to DXB, there is tons of coach/biz availability from IAD every day except zero for the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday before Thanksgiving. Then, the same thing happens on the return, tons of availability except for the Saturday, Sunday, and Monday after Thanksgiving. Only BA flights show up. This seems like a deliberate attempt by Alaska to block award redemptions on Emirates going to Dubai for Thanksgiving break. I understand that award space is always capacity controlled, but I find it hard to believe that they are already completely sold out of econ AND biz on the best dates for traveling over the weeklong holiday.
It seems far more likely (to me, at least) that popular holiday travel dates have already been booked via award redemptions than AS intentionally blocking the space out. What incentive does AS have for doing this? It's not like the date makes much of a difference in terms of how many miles they are receiving from a passenger the week before vs at the holidays (unless Emirates is charging them significantly more for the redemption during the holiday, perhaps). It also isn't as if they're hoping folks will choose to fly to a destination served by Alaska instead (likely if you're booking an award to DXB, you're not super interested in flying to say, Maui or LAX) to cash in on paid flight revenue.. I think far more likely, a smart flyer saw award space for the holiday timeframe and booked it, or EK isn't offering the space because flights have already been booked either through paid fares or EK award redemptions.
DrAlex likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.