Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Little "surprise" gift from AS on yesterday's flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Northwest, United

SPOILER ALERT...

Flying home yesterday, the cabin crew had a little surprise gift... You know, on every flight, they give their pitch for the AS Visa credit card. I have tuned this out (literally, at this point in the flight, I'm usually listening to music with the volume up high enough that I can't hear anything else). This time, I must have been between songs on my playlist, because I heard them. They gave the usual pitch, but then added this: if anyone on board already had an AS Visa card and showed them, they would give you a $5 Starbucks gift card (maybe they've been doing this a while and I've just been oblivious?).

Of course, I never go anywhere without one of my AS cards - I certainly make a point of having it with me when I fly AS. So I flashed them the card, they smiled and handed me the Starbucks card (which I then gave to the wife after I got home - I don't do Starbucks). Nice gesture.

(I thought briefly of asking them if I showed them multiple AS cards if they would give me a Starbucks GC for each one of them, but then thought better of it, didn't want to start THAT conversation there and then....but I was tempted!)

Once again, AS shows that they "get it" about providing a good customer experience. Yeah, it cost them 5 bucks per, big deal. Imagine other US legacy airlines actually giving away something to make customers feel better. OK, actually, I can't imagine that...
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
SPOILER ALERT...

Flying home yesterday, the cabin crew had a little surprise gift... You know, on every flight, they give their pitch for the AS Visa credit card. I have tuned this out (literally, at this point in the flight, I'm usually listening to music with the volume up high enough that I can't hear anything else). This time, I must have been between songs on my playlist, because I heard them. They gave the usual pitch, but then added this: if anyone on board already had an AS Visa card and showed them, they would give you a $5 Starbucks gift card (maybe they've been doing this a while and I've just been oblivious?).

Of course, I never go anywhere without one of my AS cards - I certainly make a point of having it with me when I fly AS. So I flashed them the card, they smiled and handed me the Starbucks card (which I then gave to the wife after I got home - I don't do Starbucks). Nice gesture.

(I thought briefly of asking them if I showed them multiple AS cards if they would give me a Starbucks GC for each one of them, but then thought better of it, didn't want to start THAT conversation there and then....but I was tempted!)

Once again, AS shows that they "get it" about providing a good customer experience. Yeah, it cost them 5 bucks per, big deal. Imagine other US legacy airlines actually giving away something to make customers feel better. OK, actually, I can't imagine that...
Was it just the first person that showed their AS Visa that got a Starbucks card? Or did everyone with an AS Visa get one?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Nice way to not only recognize those who are cardholders... but also encourage more signups
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:59 pm

Bank of America personnel has periodically done this in the past. And yes, they have additionally rewarded those of us with multiple cards. Haven't experienced it with AS employees though.

Last edited by flytoeat; Feb 24, 2016 at 10:31 pm
Old Feb 24, 2016, 7:01 pm

"the wife"?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Might have been a rare one-off?

Was on a flight LAX - PVR a week and a half ago, got the credit card advertisement but no mention of a Starbucks card for cardholders. Nice gesture on Alaska's part though!
Old Feb 24, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
They do this periodically. Probably random flights. I got one late last year. Same exact scenario described by op.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
It's happened to a friend of mine when CEO Tilden/CFO Pedersen (I forget which) was on board once. He came down the aisle offering the gift cards and thanking people for business.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:00 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by tedder
"the wife"?
Kinda tame compared to some of these.

Last edited by dayone; Feb 24, 2016 at 9:10 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:19 pm

Wow that sucks, I only have an Alaska MC
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe it's a late attempt to sort-of copy DL's holiday promo (roughly the month of December) to flash a DL AmEx card in the lounge and get two free "Luxury Bar" drinks. Free French champagne before a domestic flight is nice.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Was it just the first person that showed their AS Visa that got a Starbucks card? Or did everyone with an AS Visa get one?
Everyone who showed their card got one (not just the first person who did). I'd estimate that was roughly 1 out of every dozen passengers. This was on a flight inbound for SEA - Alaska's "home", where I'd expect they have pretty good market penetration for the credit card.

It was definitely a nice gesture, lots of smiles all around. Looked like a pretty good investment to me.

"the wife"?
Yes indeed - the wife was delighted. She loves it when I get Starbucks cards, since I have no use for them.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe it's a late attempt to sort-of copy DL's holiday promo (roughly the month of December) to flash a DL AmEx card in the lounge and get two free "Luxury Bar" drinks. Free French champagne before a domestic flight is nice.
Don't think so...just a way for AS to say thanks with another SEA business. It's been done before, although I haven't been *that* lucky before. Personally I'd like a few bonus miles from AS I do miss the booking bonus.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Everyone who showed their card got one (not just the first person who did). I'd estimate that was roughly 1 out of every dozen passengers. This was on a flight inbound for SEA - Alaska's "home", where I'd expect they have pretty good market penetration for the credit card.

It was definitely a nice gesture, lots of smiles all around. Looked like a pretty good investment to me.

"the wife"?
Yes indeed - the wife was delighted. She loves it when I get Starbucks cards, since I have no use for them.
Shocked it was that low... if it was to ANC it would probably be 12:1
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:17 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Gold
I was on a SEA-ANC flight back in January, and we got the hardest sell for the BofA AS card. It was a senior FA and he was even advertising to everyone over the intercom that you could get a second card even if you already had one and get the bonus again. I know this is true, but kind of doubt BofA wants that advertised. I asked for the application and the FA stressed that I had to use the paper application that he gave me. This would give him a bonus of some amount and me an extra 2500 miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.