Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AA: Alaska Air : Will 1:1 EQM continue AFTER June 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-ex EXP, PLT, LTG, MVP-Gold, UA-Silver, SPG-LTG, PLT, HH-D, Hyatt-D,

So once AA goes revenue based,
- and if one does MR on AA, BUT
- uses Alaska Air FF miles, then

Will the 1:1 EQM that is currently in place apply to the Alaska FF account # ?

I would think so, but just thought I would throw the question out there..
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
So far AS has been straight on wanting to continue. So I guess it's up to AA? Miles will be worth more applying them to AS.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
No one knows but the odds of it changing is pretty high. Quid pro quo is how it usually works out with FF partnerships
Old Feb 19, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
My coin flip came up heads. What do I win?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
I'd be shocked if it didn't change. They gave us about six weeks notice to Alaska earning changes on Delta before Delta switched to revenue based...much less notice with BA.

Just wait and see... And don't count on any late 2016 aa flights earning at the same rate they do now.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:01 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Bretmd
I'd be shocked if it didn't change. They gave us about six weeks notice to Alaska earning changes on Delta before Delta switched to revenue based...much less notice with BA.

Just wait and see... And don't count on any late 2016 aa flights earning at the same rate they do now.
I generally agree with Bretmd, but I'll add two points:

(1) Alaska can offer as many miles as it wants. This is their call, not AA's. But AA would be very unhappy if Alaska made their program too generous because it makes AA look bad. So we'll probably see a change similar to what happened with earning miles on Delta but crediting to Alaska.

(2) The BA changes are not directly comparable. They did decrease earning for several fares, similar to AA and Delta, but they didn't introduce an entirely new program like AA and Delta. I would expect more notice for changes to Delta earning (and eventually changes to AA earning) simply because the change is more fundamental and will also affect a larger number of Alaska's members. Less notice for BA changes isn't necessarily a sign of something nefarious.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:04 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
2 questions, the earning rate for AA, is it 50% eqm as well as rdm? Also, if I have the option of booking an AA or DL fare for the same $ for mid July, do you guys think the earning rates will have changed by then? Return would be the 20th of July. And would tickets booked before they announce any changes earn by the old chart? Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I highly expect it to be similar to delta or fit it to be at least .5 eqm and rdm.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
If the flight is marked as AS but on AA metal it will earn regular AS rates though right?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by Quinlanty
2 questions, the earning rate for AA, is it 50% eqm as well as rdm? Also, if I have the option of booking an AA or DL fare for the same $ for mid July, do you guys think the earning rates will have changed by then? Return would be the 20th of July. And would tickets booked before they announce any changes earn by the old chart? Thanks!
Currently, if you fly as and credit to aa, you will receive at least 100% RDM on most fare classes, but only 0.5 EQM. It looks like there is at least one fare class (r?) that receives no aa fare credit.

Currently, if you fly aa and credit to as, you will receive at least 100% EQM and RDM. However, there is a higher threshold with partner airlines with receiving status on as. (25k vs 20k for mvp).

When the earning changes were announced for Delta, all delta flights, regardless of ticket purchase date, fell under the new rules. I was hit by this.. I had several existing delta reservations at the time which were negatively impacted.

No one knows when the new earning rates will change. However, AA will likely give plenty of lead time before changes begin.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Scottrick

(1) Alaska can offer as many miles as it wants. This is their call, not AA's.
Is it? I thought AA would have to buy the miles for its passengers from AS if they choose to credit to AS.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Originally Posted by Scottrick
(1) Alaska can offer as many miles as it wants. This is their call, not AA's.
Is it? I thought AA would have to buy the miles for its passengers from AS if they choose to credit to AS.
The marketing airline buys ff miles from your ff program to reward(bride) you for flying with them.
If you buy & fly American, AA buys AS miles to bribe you (if crediting to AS ffp).
On the flip side if you buy & fly Alaska AS buys AA miles to bribe you (if crediting to the AA ffp)
Just a simple commercial buy-sell arrangement. As a wild guess at the end of the month, or what ever, the buys & sells will be totalled up and some money will move one way. Over the long term both airlines will have a good estimate of miles/status earned on partner ffp airlines
FFP's selling miles to airlines (its own & others), credit card providers, rental cars and the like is a profitable business.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: AS 100K/F9 100K/*A-Gold/AA 1.6mm/HyattGlobal/IHG SPIRE/Hilt-Caes-Wynd DIAM/Rad & Crown&Anch GOLD
MVP Gold 75K members earn 225% RDM when flying AA and crediting to AS. However, if you are EXP on AA, flying AA, and crediting to AS, you will not be waitlisted for upgrades to F, and the FA's tablets will not evince your EXP status, so if you're planning on enjoying your free drink and food items, carry your EXP card with you on the flight.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-ex EXP, PLT, LTG, MVP-Gold, UA-Silver, SPG-LTG, PLT, HH-D, Hyatt-D,
Even with the slightly higher threshold
- it still makes sense to grab MR on AA or Delta flights (and if one is MVP Gold or MVP75 you get the additional bonus as well)
-and credit it to AS BEFORE JUNE 16, 2016, when AA goes revenue based

As everyone suspects,
- it will probably be within 6-8 weeks there
-after that AS will make changes and only give 50 % EQM on AA flights credited to AS FF accounts

Originally Posted by Bretmd
Currently, if you fly as and credit to aa, you will receive at least 100% RDM on most fare classes, but only 0.5 EQM. It looks like there is at least one fare class (r?) that receives no aa fare credit.

Currently, if you fly aa and credit to as, you will receive at least 100% EQM and RDM. However, there is a higher threshold with partner airlines with receiving status on as. (25k vs 20k for mvp).

When the earning changes were announced for Delta, all delta flights, regardless of ticket purchase date, fell under the new rules. I was hit by this.. I had several existing delta reservations at the time which were negatively impacted.

No one knows when the new earning rates will change. However, AA will likely give plenty of lead time before changes begin.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 5:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rafernandes
-and credit it to AS BEFORE JUNE 16, 2016, when AA goes revenue based
Wait, what? As far as I can tell, AA's date for switching to revenue-based RDMs is still stated vaguely as "sometime the second half of 2016". Where are you getting "June 16, 2016" from?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.