Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat recline

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Seat recline

I have a SEA-HNL trip coming up in a few months. Anyone fly that recently and, if so, do all regular coach seats recline?

Reason I ask is that I just flew Alaska for the first time in ~6months, SEA-LAS (737-800/900), and I was surprised to find that the seat did not recline both to/from. I had row 15 one way, can't remember the other flight but it must've been ~row 14 since it was a couple rows in front of the exit row. Seatguru says row 15 has "limited recline" on these planes, but my seat had no recline, period! Also, I didn't see any other passengers in my row or in front of me reclining. SEA-LAS is just a 2hr flight, but my back was getting sore and SEA-HNL would be really tough without any recline.

I'm wondering if certain planes have certain sections of the Y cabin that have non-recline seats. If that's the case, I want to be certain I assign myself a seat that does recline.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:40 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Seats in front of an exit row don't recline for obvious reasons. Not unique to AS.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
seatguru.com is also a handy resource, provided you take care to ensure the seat map is for the plane configuration you'll be flying on.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Most seats on the many AS 737-800/900s that I fly regularly certainly do recline. Right in front of the exit rows, and the last row (back of coach) they don't. As posted upthread, not specific to AS.

I'd say that the seats don't recline tremendously, but enough to make a difference.

At least as important as the recline, IMHO, are seat width and pitch. I just got off an AS 737-900 an hour ago and as I settled into my seat I marveled once again (as I always do) that there's very reasonable leg room in these coach seats. Soooooo much more comfortable than any of the major legacy US airlines I've flown on the past few years. In fact, I think Alaska's coach seats are perfectly fine, even for long flights. I've done a few trips to/from the Hawaiian islands, and even a crazy mileage run from SEA to FLL and straight back to SEA after a 10 minute turnaround. I'm a bit of a snob about seat comfort (or so my wife tells me) - I've become quite spoiled by nice business class seats on Asian airlines for very long flights - but I have no complaints about Alaska's coach seats even for flights across the USA or to Hawaii.

BTW, I think seatguru's language "may have limited recline" is their generic phrase for any seat that doesn't recline as much as others on that plane do - in other words, that covers seats that don't recline at all.

Avoid the seats in front of the exit rows, and the last row in the back, and you should be fine.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

I look at seatguru all the time. But I bring this up because this time my experience was different than the info on seatguru. I had row 15 on one flight, most likely either row 11 or 14 on the other flight... both without recline button. Seatguru says row 15 has limited recline, and the row in front of it (either 11 or 14) is a normal seat. And as I said before, I didn't see anyone else reclining seats as far as I could see on the rows in front of me.

Anyways, if you guys don't feel that this is a prevalent issue or if you think that seatguru is generally reliable for AS, then I will just consider this to be a one-off type situation. To be safer, I think I'll avoid any seat in the section in front of the middle exit rows.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
BTW, I think seatguru's language "may have limited recline" is their generic phrase for any seat that doesn't recline as much as others on that plane do - in other words, that covers seats that don't recline at all.
I will definitely remember this from now on.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by evergrn
To be safer, I think I'll avoid any seat in the section in front of the middle exit rows.
Everything forward of that row immediately in front of the exit rows should be fine.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
*Row 16 of the exit row also does not recline.

*16 C/D of the 734 does recline
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
*Row 16 of the exit row also does not recline.

*16 C/D of the 734 does recline
Theres a few carriers that have planes in their fleets that I was amazed to see had some recline, it was just limited compared to other seats

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.